• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone open carry while riding a bicycle?

xd9sc

imported post

Does anyone ride a bike and open carry? I was just wondering because when the weather starts warming up, i want to start carrying when i ride my bike. Has anyone done this, and has anyone had any problems? I will be using a retention holster, so i won't be worried about it falling out of the holster.

prcE6

imported post

I do... I carry my XD in a Serpa, and attach the mag pouch to a strap on my camel back. this setup is a little wierd until you get used to it.

I started out just doing this on the bike trails in the hills and around local lakes etc. Over the summer, I got more into riding and carrying in urban environments.

GWbiker

imported post

xd9sc wrote:
Does anyone ride a bike and open carry? I was just wondering because when the weather starts warming up, i want to start carrying when i ride my bike. Has anyone done this, and has anyone had any problems? I will be using a retention holster, so i won't be worried about it falling out of the holster.
Last summer in Tucson I saw a male bicyclist OC what appeared to be a 1911 in a brown leather holster.

Motor vehicle traffic passing him gave him a wide berth.

Imagine that!!:lol:

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I don't currently, but I used to when I lived in Aridzona. GWbiker's comments are inline with my experience; automobile drivers are Much more polite and give a Much wider berth to riders who OC, and since my OC was on the left side it made it that much more noticable.

The only time I was stopped was by the local constabulary while carrying a semi-auto shotgun across the handlebars of my mountain bike. We had a nice chat, they went on their way, I went on mine.

david.ross

imported post

I've open carried while on a bicycle and while roller blading, what I can say is even a lightweight gun will throw off your balance.

Even though its possible to open carry on either vehicle, it would probably be better to place the gun under a well padded area in case you fall.

shad0wfax

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
I've open carried while on a bicycle and while roller blading, what I can say is even a lightweight gun will throw off your balance.

Even though its possible to open carry on either vehicle, it would probably be better to place the gun under a well padded area in case you fall.
I OC'd while Ice-Skating at a local rink last weekend. The balance wasn't an issue, nor was falling, but I was very mindful not to accidentally bump into anyone or get too close to folks.:)

xd9sc

imported post

That is exactly what i am thinking. When the weather gets a little warmer in the springI am going to start riding my bike alot again, and I am planning on OCing.

rottman43055

imported post

I OCed all summer on my bicycle last year, even a few times with the wife & kid riding along.

Can't wait til weather warms up this year.

DanGarand

imported post

Open carrying on a bicycle could be construed as concealed carry in a vehicle.

Though unlikely I won't be the test case.

Aran

Banned
imported post

No, I don't wear clothing that would easily accommodate an OC holster when I'm on a bicycle.

On my motorcycle, I usually ride with my jacket open because I'm a fatty and gained 10lbs after I got my already-tight jacket and it's uncomfortable to close (Working that weight off now. Boy is it harder to take off than to put on...) so it's usually covered.

Of course, I'm not riding either now, as I work nights and sleep all day so I have no time for the bicycle, and my motorcycle has... issues. Time for some long-overdue maintenance. Carbs, brakes, cables, hoses, etc., all need some TLC... and it's only an '06. Go me.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:

You could always carry an identical gun on each side to retain balance.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:

Two extra mags on the weak side should help even that out. :cool: