Thread: New member! Wondering about the Ruger SR9

Post imported post

This is my first post here even though I have been watching this site for a while.......

Visited my local gun shop yesterday browsing for a new handgun. The guy showed me the Ruger SR9. I kinda liked it being thinner and a little lighter then my Ruger P89. Has anyone had any experience with this gun?

Post imported post

Make sure it's a post recall gun, Ruger put out a big recall as there was serious mechanical defects causing the gun to be unsafe. Apparently Ruger even made some good changes beyond that on all the guns sent in for repair.

Post imported post

I have a P97 and I'm also interested in the SR-9. Everything I hear is good so far.

Post imported post

Thanks for your reply and information! I seen that recall on the Ruger Website. I asked him (the guy at the gun shop) about it and he said all his Sr9's were post recall.

Post imported post

Here's an SR9 owner explaining what happen to him;

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=331434
    Some time ago, I posted a thread that I had a SR9 for trade for a wheel gun. I am just not comfortable with a semi automatic pistol.

Since then, I took the SR9 to the Range for a second time, and had two accidental discharges, and when the event was reveiwed with the Range Officer, it discharged accidentally on him as well.

I WANT TO WITH DRAW ANY OFFER TO TRADE/SELL THIS PISTOL AT THIS TIME.

For the information and consideration of other SR 9 owners, I offer the following information:

I inserted a full clip of ball 9mm into the SR9, and when I released the slide to charge the chamber, IT DISCHARGED down range. A new round cycled into the chamber.

After some discussion, it was decided that I must have had my finger on the trigger.

A 2nd clip was inserted, and with absolute attention to not having my finger anywhere near the trigger, the slide was drawn, released, and IT DISCHARGED down range a second time. The remaining 16 rounds were cycled through without incident.

The Range Officer repeated the cycle, and it DISCHARGED on him when the slide was released to charge the chamber.

I have called Ruger, they are sending the documentation to return the pistol to them.

Post imported post

Dustin, that post is a year old now, and I believe all newer SR9's (like the LCP) have been reworked and tested.

Post imported post

usdm419 wrote:
    Dustin, that post is a year old now, and I believe all newer SR9's (like the LCP) have been reworked and tested.
    May be, here's a link to keep up with what guns or in the recall.

http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/

Post imported post

Basically, all Ruger SR9's have that have that new blade safety trigger are new ones, and will not have this malfunction.

EDIT:
    Here are EXCELLENT reviews by a guy in the military.

Part I of the "table top review"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpTaV3A2jIE

Here's his shooting review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEUE5...eature=channel