• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

After Reading Several Threads

sipowicz

imported post

I'm a new member of this forum, I'm not new to guns. Here's my question. After reading numerous threads all over, it seems to me that mostLEO's are either not up to date on the gun laws in regard to OC or they just want to buffalo you into thinking that it is illegal in whatever locale you happen to be in. Am I wrong or is that about the right synopsis. (And please don't mind this question from a newbie.)

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I wouldn't say "most" but that is the case with some LEOs.

Some of them just don't LIKE open carry, so they try and BS you into thinking it is illegal, or they just DON'T KNOW.

Fortunately that is the exception, not the rule.

sipowicz

imported post

As a LEO one would think they would know. I have a problem with the BS, too. Don't they realize that we wouldn't be OCing out of the blue. I guess I'm mystified by some of the thinking. It' s like when OC laws are passed, there is little done to make the public aware of what is on the books.

JBURGII

imported post

You will find a lot of stories about LEO failures here but just keep in mind those are the learning experiences we share with each other. There are many Officers out there, some are members of these forums who are knowledgeable on the law as well as fair and just in their jobs.. We salute those and try to educate the others.

I suppose it can also be difficult to keep track of the changes in the laws as well, the first of the year when a lot of laws go into effect have to be a real busy time for LEOs to catch up with the changes.. but on the flip side, ignorance is no excuse for us.. so its no excuse for them either.

J

spawnbringer

imported post

sipowicz wrote:
As a LEO one would think they would know. I have a problem with the BS, too. Don't they realize that we wouldn't be OCing out of the blue. I guess I'm mystified by some of the thinking. It' s like when OC laws are passed, there is little done to make the public aware of what is on the books.

I hear you sipowicz. I think the same way. Though asJBURGII said, there are LEO's "who are knowledgeable on the law as well as fair and just in their jobs". I've known a few myself.

And yes,IMO a few LEOs seem to have the"Judge Dread Complex"i.e.,I can say and do what I want because
I AM THE LAW!

richarcm

imported post

Not to downplay the "problem" because it may be much worse than I am aware of...although I haven't had any problems personally....but you don't hear of too many problems on here. You hear of the occasional resistance which generally seems to amount to an unnecessary test but even then not too often. I mean you hear about children getting shot here and there in the mainstream media but relative to the number of guns its relatively insignificant. Compared to the number of police out there and people OCing (represented and not represented by this website) I'd like to think that the problem isn't much of a problem. Whatever "problems" you hear of on here are concentrated in nature.

If any of what I just said even made any sense....

bordsnbikes

imported post

JBURGII, Thank you for bringing up that there are a lot of Officers that do know, and do do the right thing. It's a lot like a restaurant, you can get great service a hundred times, like it should be, but the one time you get bad service is the one that sticks in your head and you tell your friends about. This is no slight against anyone who has had a bad experience and posted about it, people just remember and talk about the bad experiences more than the good. I am always pleased to see the posts on here about the good experiences, I just wish there were more.

JBURGII

imported post

sipowicz wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Welcome to the forum, sipowicz. And +1 JburgII!!
Thank you very much for the welcome!! :D

I don't believe I actually threw in a Welcome up there so Welcome!!

I just know I don't want to be treated like a criminal for doing something that is lawful and right. As long as I am treated with respect.. respect will be given..

J

marine77

imported post

I have just this month got my hcp, been oc'ing every time i go out. Then a test the

other day, i stopped at a convienence store and the police from my town were there

and i was going to be in plain view of them going in and out. Nothing. That's the way

i like it.

buster81

imported post

Well, at some point, someone is going torespond to this and tell you that a LEO is not required to know the law. Sounds kooky tome, but what doIknow.

It has been hashed out in a couple of different threads, some of which have been deleted. They typically turn into a big pissing contest. Get ready...

TheMrMitch

imported post

Welcome sipowicz!:)

Around the larger Ky cities, you may find some problems, but most Ky police don't bother you. I carry open most places or remove my outer coat when I can.

The only place around my AO I haven't OC'd is Lexington and Louisville. I will soon.:dude:

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome, sipowicz.

Speaking as someone who HAS had one of those encounters (poke around, it's here somewhere), I can say that the reasons for them are many and varied. Some of those reasonshave already been posted; but, in all charity toward police officers,three others come to mind:

1) most of the encounters LEO have with gun-toting non-LEOs are of the criminal kind, often on the receiving end;

2) there are simply too many laws for all LEOs to know them all; and

3) to some LEOs, seeing a non-LEO carrying is, in their opinion,a professional insult - it says the carrier doesn't believe the police are doing their jobs.

Yeah, I was ticked off when it happened to me, but I managed to diffuse my situation; and I believe my letter to the Superintendent may have contributed to at least one ranking officer publicly admitting that OC was a legally protected right.Following the same public meeting where that statement occurred, I got another officer to admit to a few of us who remained after the meeting to talk a bit that their training simply didn't cover all of the laws (because there are so many) and that their training centers on things that are illegal. Since OC is legal, most of the LEOs don't get told that until something like one of the encounters you've read about here takes place.

In short, if you are on the receiving end of an unpleasant LEO encounter, and if you have not violated any law, then my advice to you is to be polite but firmly insist that you are correct in your actions. Cite the exact law, preferrably by number, that contradicts what the LEO is saying to you. If that does not work, remain as calm as possible and ask for a supervisor. When all else fails, offer no resistance to arrest, then lawyer up and file whatever lawsuit may be justified.

If you know the laws cold, your chances of having to go to the lawsuit end of the spectrum will be greatly diminished - unless you get involved with a real ass of a LEO.

crotalus01

imported post

I think it largely depends on your location and how common or uncommon OC is. I live in a tri-stae area (TN, AR, MS). In Memphis where I live I have never been asked for my permit, or even looked at funny by a LEO when OCing (relatively common here due to high crime rates). Arkansas has no legal OC, MS where my mom lives OC is legal but extremely uncommon - LEOs will stop you on occasion there.