• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The proposal

Curins

imported post

It's been a while since I updated you guys on my plan to restore our rights here in North Carolina. So here's the plan,

First, I'm posting here the proposal for my state representative. I'd love to have your guys input on how to improve it. This is a rough draft, so fire away! I hope to have a final done by the 30th of this month.

Second, I will post the final proposal here so you can put it on the desks of you reps. and senators. The more we can get to co-sponsor the bill the better to get it out of committee and on the floor.

Lastly, I will be putting up a website for the bill to spread the word with. Anyone will be able to link to it. With this I hope will spread the word through other sites for hunting, grassroots rights groups, any organizations that would support the 2nd.

special thanks toDreQo for a great story depicting our current self defense law. Also a very special thanks to duccat51 for outlining the current law so well!

Please guys and gals, put up some suggestions for improving this proposal, I need all the help Ican get!

I'm just a bill....sitting here on capitol hill......

NCHornet

imported post

Looks good, except I might remove the scenarios as some could consider the sender a wacko that is dreaming of shooting someone. Please don't get me wrong, I agree 100% with you and know you aren't this type of person, I am simply stating how the anti's I have come in contact with respond to scenarios like these. I also believe you need to mention the need for a true Castle Doctrine Law to be adopted in NC. Use a state like Texas as a example. I will look back to this post for any revisions and will forward them to my reps. I would also contact Grass Roots of NC and ask them for a mailing list and any advice they can provide. 2009 is the year we need to get this through, it may be our last chance for awhile!!

NCH

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

That was a good story, wasn't it? :D I also am not sure if the inclusion of the scenarios would be good or bad. It's tough either way you look at it. What you have here is just the rough draft that you and the Representative are going to look at and mold into something else, right?

Curins

imported post

Right, I need to add something more to the castle doctrine part. Something showing the change in preconditions. I.E. unlawful entry and any othersuggestions you guys have, wording, structure etc.

Ray

imported post

Looks good

A guns in emergency bill was introduced last session and died

It needs to be reintroduced again

Johnston-Wake COPTF

imported post

Please let me know where you stand on this piece. I am a former Federal LEO and currently the Director of Operations fora local agency with jurisdiction in Johnston and Wake counties.

I would enjoy the opportunity to work with you, maybe tweak the wording a little to get it in front of the appropriate people and not justa secretary, and sign on the dotted line!

Curins

imported post

Wonderful! I have been so busy I haven't been able to work on it. I've also been researching the home defense law. Your a LEO, do you think the law we have on the books is adequate?

I'm going to work on it this weekend and post it here, if you want to take a look over it and make some revisions that would be awesome!

I'm going to cut it down to a "Stand your ground" law and removing the state of emergency no carry law.

Johnston-Wake COPTF

imported post

First things first. North Carolina is a Castle-Doctrine state. In short, this means that a "Stand-Your-Ground" provision is already in place, and is very laid-back for that matter. In plain English, the law states that you may defend your property, including lethal force, against someone who is trespassing on your property, to the extent that the person is about to, or has already, entered your home in the effort to commit a felony. Several problems arise due to the lack of wording; for example, 'What if you shoot someone as they are fleeing the scene.' To be protected by the law, you must be within the building which is being entered or has been entered; and, there must be a clear attempt to commit a felony. So, in a case where a man shot an intruder in the back, theGrand Jury foundit reasonable to charge him with attempted murder on the basis that a person fleeing the scene was not attempting to commit a felony. In another case concerning this doctrine, a man who ran over a "would-be-thief" with his vehicle,who was in the process of stealing equipment from the garage, was found to have used excessive force and was not protected by the "Stand-Your-Ground" theory based on the fact that your garage is not a part of your "home." Commonly, your home is considered a livable space; and considering most garages do not have adequate plumbing, it cannot legally be considered a livable space. My point in this "rant" is that the law allows you to protect yourself, persons within you home and your property but prevents your from spraying the neighborhood with bullets. In this case, I feel the law is adequate and justified.

Now, to answer your question on if I feel the laws are adequate. The simple answer is NO. But, only to the wording. Personally, as a former Staff Sergeant I believe in the constitution and of course the right to bear arms. Before I continue on, I apologize if I seem to be all over the place, but there is no concrete law and therefore no concrete statement to defend the right to bare arms.

When it comes to Concealed Weapons, I believe the laws are adequate. If you are free from any mental disease, a law abiding citizen and intend to use the firearm for personal protection, your approved. No real loopholes and and the law does not allow for individual interpretation. Open Carry is another story.

If you would like to keep along, as to my legal references, you may want to review: North Carolina General Statutes, Chapter 14, Sections 14-269.2, 14-269.3, 14-269.4,14-277.2; 14-409.40; 14-288.20, 14-288.1(8); Chapter 153A, Section 153A-129; Chapter 160A, Sections 160A-3, 160A-174, 160A-189; Chapter 15, Sections 15-43, 15A-221, 15A-222; North Carolina Constitution, Section 30; and 10 USC 311(a). These are all the laws, both state and Federal, which allow the carry of firearms, in general.

Federal law allows a State to determine its own firearm laws. The State of North Carolina allows county and municipal agencies to create restrictive firearm laws, however, only the State may out-right ban firearms. Since the State does not ban the carry of firearms openly, you may legally carry a weapon in plain sight anywhere within the state; and your county and town cannot prevent it. The county and town may only limit the size of the weapon, which is generally no shorter that 6" in length. The state specifically bans the concealment of weapons on public land and property, however, there is no actual provision for open carrying. Most of the 100 counties prohibit the carry of firearms, concealed or open, on any public land and property. Many other posts within the forum have discussed carrying a firearm in your car, on let's say the passenger seat. While the gun is not concealed, and therefore meets State law, it technically violates county ordinance. Most county laws specifically prohibit any possession on public property, including highways. Considering your car is being operated on the highway, the possession is technically unlawful. The main issue arrives by the fact that a law enforcement officer only needs reasonable suspicion or probable cause to arrest you for a crime. "I thought" is a valid defense by any law enforcement officer.

Every town, or at least the county, by ordinance, prohibits the carry of weapons in a public place. Again loose wording. Most people view the "public" as any place where there are people. However, the law considers a gas station, a movie theater, Walmart,for example, as private establishment; thus, you may carry on any property which is not owned, occupied, or under the direction of the state, county or municipality. A few posts discuss Cary and an outright "Arrest on Sight" provision which prevents the carry of firearms, concealed or open,town wide. In Cary, it IS lawful to open carry a firearm, whereas Section 22-51(e)(2) specificallystates that the no firearms clause exempts any person from criminal or civil liability where,"The possession or display of the firearm, or other weapon, was the result of an individual(s) exercising his legitimate right to self defense or the defense of others as allowed by law." The basic loophole is that if a county or municipal ordinance bans a firearm, the State law supersedes and the ordinance becomes invalid.

The wording is very confusing to the average person. Laws are written by people with law degrees, and unless you have a law degree in your back pocket, you probably won't understand the majority of laws. Even witha dictionary, replace the actual definition of a word within the legal text, and your end result is a string of words that make even less sense than the actual law. In my view, the problem is not with the gun laws within North Carolina, but the wording of laws as a whole. In many instances, there is no provision which allows "play" in the law in a "what-if" scenario.

To give you an example, let me stray away from gun laws for a moment, with a perfect example. North Carolina General Statute, Section 51-4 states, "When the degree of kinship is estimated with a view to ascertain the right of kinspeople to marry, the half‑blood shall be counted as the whole‑blood: Provided, that nothing herein contained shall be so construed as to invalidate any marriage heretofore contracted in case where by counting the half‑blood as the whole‑blood the persons contracting such marriage would be nearer of kin than first cousins; but in every such case the kinship shall be ascertained by counting relations of the half‑blood as being only half so near kin as those of the same degree of the whole‑blood." If you read the law as it is written, you may marry your second cousin but not your first cousin, unless your fist cousin is related through marriage, which would make that specific cousin "half-blood", however every "half-blood" cousin is to be considered"full-blood" under this law. See what I mean? Now if you and your wife are legally married in the state of North Carolina, and your mother lawfully marries her father, the marriage between you and your wife becomes illegal and thus you can no longer be married to your wife; who is now your sister by virtue of law. Unfortunately, the gun laws we now have are written in the same fashion.

So what do we do to clear up the laws? Many people have created groups to bring new legislation to the table. A couple of thoughts here. The military "don't ask, don't tell" policy may refer to homosexuals within the armed forces, but we can also apply it to gun laws to the theory that if something is not "out in the open" then don't question it. If a law does not exist preventing you from doing something, then why create an uprising about it. While I fully support a persons right to free speech and public demonstration, why would anyone draw attention to the lack of a law. The lack of a law is in its own right a permission. In my personal opinion, you should fight a law that is active and enforced, not a law which does not exist. In the case of a lack of open carry laws in North Carolina, forcing the legislature to create a law may back-fire. When there is no law present, the creation of a law to address the specific concern may actually make the act you wish to be legal become illegal. In the matter of current laws, I do feel the Concealed Weapons laws are appropriately written and are justified. My only issue, to wording, is the common-law of "Going Armed to the Terror of the People" where it becomes illegal to commit an act that creates fear in any one person. This charge in itself has never been punished in this state, however, people are arrested for it. The reason it does not hold weight, it isthe courts ruling (and I am putting this into plain English) that a person may, for business or amusement, carry a weapon, so long as the weapon is not used in any crime and is not wielded about or used in a manner to create fear. The court upholds the right to carry a weapon that is not concealed from plain sight, so long as you do not touch the weapon while in public, unless you are defending yourself or another person from a felony. As the law is written, it prohibits the display of a firearm if any one person is frightened by the display of the firearm. However, the actual definition of "terror" is the violent or destructive act in order to intimidate or cause a state of intense fear.

To end this novel, my main thoughts are that there is an apparent need to strengthen the wording of the laws and limit any alternate theories. The need to limit a law enforcement officers ability to twist the letter of the law also needs to be reviewed and put into plain English what act IS and IS NOT enforceable by the police. Again, my personal opinion, is that the law should be written to read that a law enforcement officer may arrest a person who is concealing a weapon and does not posses a valid Concealed Weapon Permit, but may not arrest or detain a person who is carrying a weapon in plain sight. The definitions of where a weapon can be carried must also be specifically worded. My suggestion would be to form a "Advisory Board" which has at least one law enforcement officer and one judge or lawyer.

One last thought, and citing the exact laws would take me forever, the loophole to this entire mess is simple. Private Protective Service laws allow a person to obtain and carry a weapon in plain view, and such person is not required to posses a license if he or she does not charge a fee. Basically, get a Federal Tax Identification Number, create a one page Article of Incorporation which states you are assembling for the purpose of protecting the public for FREE, file it with your County Clerk and your free to go!

Johnston-Wake COPTF

imported post

First, all cites are specifically stated, I gave the entire list. Paragraph 4 says, "If you would like to keep along, as to my legal references, you may want to review: North Carolina General Statutes, Chapter 14, Sections 14-269.2, 14-269.3, 14-269.4, 14-277.2; 14-409.40; 14-288.20, 14-288.1(8); Chapter 153A, Section 153A-129; Chapter 160A, Sections 160A-3, 160A-174, 160A-189; Chapter 15, Sections 15-43, 15A-221, 15A-222; North Carolina Constitution, Section 30; and 10 USC 311(a). These are all the laws, both state and Federal, which allow the carry of firearms, in general." But, if you would like more:

NCGS 14-269.4 strictly prohibits the carry of firearms on any state owned property, including rest areas or rest stops along highways.

NCGS 14-269.3 strictly prohibits the carry of firearms into or on the property of any establishment where a beverage is sold and consumed (this includes bars but not a gas station).

NCGS 14-269.2 strictly prohibits the carry of firearms into or on the property of an educational facility.

NCGS 14-288.20 strictly prohibits the carry of firearms at any protest, demonstration or meeting of 3 or more people.

NCGS 14-277.2 strictly prohibits the carry of firearms at a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions.

NCGS 14-409.40 limits the rights of the individual county or municipal law enforcement authority to enact ordinances contrary to the State law; and such ordinances set by the county or municipality are only binding upon employees (not citizens).

NCGS 153A-129 allows a county or municipality to enact firearm discharge ordinances and also regulate the display of firearms on the public roads, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property.

Now in both Johnston and Wake counties, firearms are strictly forbidden on public roads, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property. The last time I checked, 440 was a public road and soare 210, 40, 70 and every road in the state.

Maybe, if you actually read what I wrote, you would have seen the paragraph stating each STATE FIREARM LAW. As to your note on education, you have proved my point that people do not understand what they read. And, if you are going to quote me, get it right. I never said they wouldn't understand no matter how hard they try. Now you are just putting words in my mouth.

As for incest, if you read my notation that I was going off base, and that my use of the statute backs my comment of the law being written in a manner that is difficult to understand, you would have taken the point; instead, you misread and proved my point that you have not the first clue about North Carolina Law.

Instead of asking someone else to set me straight, tell me where I am off base. With a college degree, well versed in law, psychology and sociology, being a former Federal LEO and acting as the Director of Operations for a county wide agency, I happen to feel my knowledge and research of the law far outweighs yours. Tell me where, EXACTLY, am I wrong. Come on, set me straight!

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

... Johnston-Wake ...

Thanks for being so concerned . Just picked up my CCW and found this forum .

It is great knowing that there are people such as yourself with the knowledge

needed to protect our rights .

NCHornet

imported post

I just read your first sentence and stopped NC DOES NOT HAVE CASTLE DOCTRINE!!! Period!!! We do not have to retreat, but true Castle Doctrine removes us from any type of prosecution, civil cases as well. That is a HUGE DIFFERENCE to NC state law!!! Show me where that is in NC law!! I think you need to brush up on what Castle Doctrine really is. Castle doctrine also allows one to use lethal force to protect property, we don't have this in NC, we have to prove we were in fear of our life, and any other person placed in our position would feel the same. This is very difficult if the perp doesn't present a weapon. Under true Castle Doctrine the perp doesn't have to produce a weapon, all he has to say is he wants your car!! Texas has true Castle Doctrine also called " Make My day Law". I didn't bother reading the rest of your reply, but please be very careful about passing bad information on a public forum. For all members in question don't believe anything you read on any internet forum, always look up the law for yourself!!