Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlucky loo: Man's gun fires, shatters toilet

Post imported post

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5315514

CENTERVILLE, Utah (AP) -- The man escaped with a few cuts to his arm, but the toilet made out much worse.
    Police say a man's gun fell out of its holster while he pulled up his pants after using the bathroom at a Carl's Jr. restaurant. The gun fired when it hit the floor and shattered the commode.

A few shards of porcelain hit and cut the man's arm. A woman in an adjacent restroom reported chest pain after she was scared by the shot. Both people were checked at the scene and released.
    Police say they confiscated the 26-year-old man's firearm while they review the Tuesday incident. The man had a concealed weapons permit. No charges are being filed.
    Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune,
    (Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Post imported post

What an idiot.

I really want to know what kind of gun he was carrying for it to just go off due to a 3-foot drop to the floor.

My guess would have been that the trigger was pulled while removing the gun from the holster, or reholstering after pooping.

Post imported post

rumor has it that it was a Kahr P40

Post imported post

Where did the rumor come from? I saw this story on another forum and I would love to let them know.

Post imported post

ScottyT wrote:
    Where did the rumor come from? I saw this story on another forum and I would love to let them know.
    http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705277512,00.html

Post imported post

Thanks for the link.

Do Khar's usually fire on impact? For how expensive they are they should be safer than that. I still think the guy pulled the trigger at some point.

Post imported post

I dont find much on Kahrs failing the drop test, mags tend to drop however. My guess is we are not hearing the whole truth.

Post imported post

He had to have pulled the trigger. I couldn't finad anything on Khar's failing either. AFAIK, they are great firearms.

The comments on the DesNews site are ridiculous.

Post imported post

My guess is that he was either screwing around with his pistol and it went off or he may have tried to grab it when he noticed it was falling andbumped the trigger. I know some kahr P40s have a hair trigger.

Post imported post

I never thought about the trying to catch it idea, but it makes sense. That would reflect a bit better on him than just playing around with it!

Post imported post

He should have secured his weapon. Too bad the bullet didn't hit his gonads.

Post imported post

Hmm, maybe he needs a better retention holster.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    I think you mean he needs a retention holster!

State Researcher

Post imported post

I'm not buying the guy's story. We are asked to believe that:

FIRST: A gun slipped from a holster. Short of a quick action draw western style holster (or a simply pocket holster) when was the last time ANYONE has seen, much less chosen to carry a gun in a holster that doesn't hold the intended firearm securely enough to avoid this type of thing?

THEN: That having slipped from the holster, said firearm discharged from a 2-3 foot drop. It isn't like the guy admits to having it drawn while standing on the toilet and getting a solid 6 foot drop. Somewhere between calf and waist level this thing drops and discharges?!?!? Again, short of a cowboy action SA (which shouldn't be carried with a live round under the chamber anyone), or recalled defective gun (shouldn't be carried at all), how many guns are failing drop tests these days?

My guess is that either:

1-He tried to catch the gun and got only the trigger; or,
    2-He was sloppy when he picked it up; or,
    3-He had unholstered the firearm to do his business and got a finger, or, other object on the trigger when he went to reholster; or,
    4-He was playing with the firearm while doing his business and shot it.

In any event, I'm just not buying the initial story.

But not a great weak for Utah's CCW permit holders. And especially not right before the session starts.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

ainokea wrote:
    My guess is that he was either screwing around with his pistol and it went off or he may have tried to grab it when he noticed it was falling andbumped the trigger. I know some kahr P40s have a hair trigger.
    All P series Kahr's are double action, and are around 7 - 7.5 lbs stock. They are actually harder to ND than other more popular polymers *cough Plaxico cough*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahr_Arms

I suppose it is possible that he modified his, however, since it's DA you'd still need to do more than bump the trigger to set it off.

Post imported post

ainokea wrote:
    Probably. It's also known as the Burris Syndrome.

Post imported post

1)Those damn CCers are gonna screw it up for all of us!!

2) See how evil guns are. This one just went off by itself and killed an innocent toilet.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    If anyone ever had a 'Need' to buy a SERPA holster, eh?

This freakin guy HAS to play with both of his guns (lol) when he goes to the public restroom...coulda been worse...

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    thx997303 wrote:

This freakin guy HAS to play with both of his guns (lol) when he goes to the public restroom...coulda been worse...
    I know your post was tongue in cheek, but:

They don't make SERPA's for any of the Kahr series pistols. I've tried fitting it to various models, but have had no luck so far.

Post imported post

diesel556 wrote:
    ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
    thx997303 wrote:

...I've tried fitting it to various models, but have had no luck so far. ...
    That is unfortunate. I have had great success matching not only my SIGMA to a Serpa meant for a Glock, but a SW908 as well. I know its a bit OT, but: i dunno what i would do without a SERPA holster. Its almost as important to me as my gun..

Post imported post

You left out:

5. (sen) Craig was wiggling his finger under the stall again and hit the trigger.

Looks like it is time for someone to invest in a shoulder holster, or adult diapers.

Post imported post

CC continues to seem dangerous to me. I mean, you don't need a retention style holster per se, so people don't buy one.

I couldn't carry a firearm without some sort of retention on the holster I was carrying it in.

Post imported post

wouldnt it be open carry to play with your gun while on the commode?

Post imported post

smallmansyndrome wrote:
    wouldnt it be open carry to play with your gun while on the commode?

He was carrying concealed. Retention holsters are strongly encouraged, even required (by common sense) when OCing. That means the guns can't fall out -- not that it would go off if it did fall out, this guy pulled the trigger. Hell, non-retention holsters of even middling quality won't let the gun just fall out.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    ScottyT wrote:
    What an idiot.

I really want to know what kind of gun he was carrying for it to just go off due to a 3-foot drop to the floor.

My guess would have been that the trigger was pulled while removing the gun from the holster, or reholstering after pooping.
    Instead of guessing, why not CALL the guy, talk directly with him?
    Because we do not need to guess. Unless he did some modification to his Khar, HE HAD TO HAVE PULLED THE TRIGGER!!!!! The Khar P40 is a DAO. That means that the firing pin is never cocked. It is cocked and fires with every trigger pull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast