• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unlucky loo: Man's gun fires, shatters toilet

xmirage2kx

imported post

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5315514

CENTERVILLE, Utah (AP) -- The man escaped with a few cuts to his arm, but the toilet made out much worse.
Police say a man's gun fell out of its holster while he pulled up his pants after using the bathroom at a Carl's Jr. restaurant. The gun fired when it hit the floor and shattered the commode.

A few shards of porcelain hit and cut the man's arm. A woman in an adjacent restroom reported chest pain after she was scared by the shot. Both people were checked at the scene and released.
Police say they confiscated the 26-year-old man's firearm while they review the Tuesday incident. The man had a concealed weapons permit. No charges are being filed.
Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune,
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

ScottyT

imported post

What an idiot.

I really want to know what kind of gun he was carrying for it to just go off due to a 3-foot drop to the floor.

My guess would have been that the trigger was pulled while removing the gun from the holster, or reholstering after pooping.

ScottyT

imported post

Thanks for the link.

Do Khar's usually fire on impact? For how expensive they are they should be safer than that. I still think the guy pulled the trigger at some point.

xmirage2kx

imported post

I dont find much on Kahrs failing the drop test, mags tend to drop however. My guess is we are not hearing the whole truth.

ScottyT

imported post

He had to have pulled the trigger. I couldn't finad anything on Khar's failing either. AFAIK, they are great firearms.

The comments on the DesNews site are ridiculous.

ainokea

imported post

My guess is that he was either screwing around with his pistol and it went off or he may have tried to grab it when he noticed it was falling andbumped the trigger. I know some kahr P40s have a hair trigger.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

I'm not buying the guy's story. We are asked to believe that:

FIRST: A gun slipped from a holster. Short of a quick action draw western style holster (or a simply pocket holster) when was the last time ANYONE has seen, much less chosen to carry a gun in a holster that doesn't hold the intended firearm securely enough to avoid this type of thing?

THEN: That having slipped from the holster, said firearm discharged from a 2-3 foot drop. It isn't like the guy admits to having it drawn while standing on the toilet and getting a solid 6 foot drop. Somewhere between calf and waist level this thing drops and discharges?!?!? Again, short of a cowboy action SA (which shouldn't be carried with a live round under the chamber anyone), or recalled defective gun (shouldn't be carried at all), how many guns are failing drop tests these days?

My guess is that either:

1-He tried to catch the gun and got only the trigger; or,
2-He was sloppy when he picked it up; or,
3-He had unholstered the firearm to do his business and got a finger, or, other object on the trigger when he went to reholster; or,
4-He was playing with the firearm while doing his business and shot it.

In any event, I'm just not buying the initial story.

But not a great weak for Utah's CCW permit holders. And especially not right before the session starts.

Charles

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ainokea wrote:
My guess is that he was either screwing around with his pistol and it went off or he may have tried to grab it when he noticed it was falling andbumped the trigger. I know some kahr P40s have a hair trigger.
All P series Kahr's are double action, and are around 7 - 7.5 lbs stock. They are actually harder to ND than other more popular polymers *cough Plaxico cough*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahr_Arms

I suppose it is possible that he modified his, however, since it's DA you'd still need to do more than bump the trigger to set it off.

MetalChris

imported post

ainokea wrote:
Probably. It's also known as the Burris Syndrome.

Thundar

imported post

1)Those damn CCers are gonna screw it up for all of us!!

2) See how evil guns are. This one just went off by itself and killed an innocent toilet.

scorpioajr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Hmm, maybe he needs a better retention holster.
If anyone ever had a 'Need' to buy a SERPA holster, eh?

This freakin guy HAS to play with both of his guns (lol) when he goes to the public restroom...coulda been worse...

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

This freakin guy HAS to play with both of his guns (lol) when he goes to the public restroom...coulda been worse...
I know your post was tongue in cheek, but:

They don't make SERPA's for any of the Kahr series pistols. I've tried fitting it to various models, but have had no luck so far. :(

scorpioajr

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

...I've tried fitting it to various models, but have had no luck so far. ...
That is unfortunate. I have had great success matching not only my SIGMA to a Serpa meant for a Glock, but a SW908 as well. I know its a bit OT, but: i dunno what i would do without a SERPA holster. Its almost as important to me as my gun..