• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun goes off in Utah restroom, shatters toilet

srage10

imported post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090114/ap_on_fe_st/odd_toilet_shot
[align=left]CENTERVILLE, Utah – The man escaped with a few cuts to his arm, but the toilet made out much worse. Police say a man's gun fell out of its holster while he pulled up his pants after using the bathroom at a Carl's Jr. restaurant Tuesday. The gun fired when it hit the floor and shattered the commode.[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]A few shards of porcelain cut the man's arm, and a woman in an adjacent restroom who was frightened by the noise reported she was having chest pain. Both people were checked at the scene and released.[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Police say they confiscated the 26-year-old man's firearm while they review the incident. The man had a concealed weapons permit. No charges are being filed.[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]___[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune, http://www.sltrib.com[/align]​

I wonder what gun it was that went off when it hit the floor, provided that's the whole story.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

srage10 wrote:
[align=left]
A few shards of porcelain cut the man's arm, and a woman in an adjacent restroom who was frightened by the noise reported she was having chest pain. Both people were checked at the scene and released.
Co-ed restrooms? Or did it really blow a piece of porcelain through a wall? [/align]

compmanio365

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
srage10 wrote:
[align=left]
A few shards of porcelain cut the man's arm, and a woman in an adjacent restroom who was frightened by the noise reported she was having chest pain. Both people were checked at the scene and released.
Co-ed restrooms? Or did it really blow a piece of porcelain through a wall? [/align]
No, if you had any reading comprehension skills, you'd know that she was in the women's restroom, and she heard the shot through the wall and freaked out, cause she's a pansy. She got checked out because of "chest pain", not because of flying porcelain like the guy. Cripes, learn how to read. :?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
srage10 wrote:
[align=left]
No, if you had any reading comprehension skills, you'd know that she was in the women's restroom, and she heard the shot through the wall and freaked out, cause she's a pansy. She got checked out because of "chest pain", not because of flying porcelain like the guy. Cripes, learn how to read. :?

Missed the comma, grammar nanny. My apologies.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The article didn'tmention the age of the woman. She may have been an elderly person. They don't take to being startled, very well.

The guys gun should not have been able to fall from it's holster in the first place. I suspect that he will have to pay for replacing the toilet.

Gordie

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

The guys gun should not have been able to fall from it's holster in the first place. I suspect that he will have to pay for replacing the toilet.

That, and the embarrassment, should be enough to teach this guy to make sure that he keeps his gun secure. I also wonder what type of gun it was,most guns don't fire just by dropping them.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Gordie wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

That, and the embarrassment, should be enough to teach this guy to make sure that he keeps his gun secure. I also wonder what type of gun it was,most guns don't fire just by dropping them.

My money is on a 1911 with a lightened trigger (but it feels so good at the range) being carried cocked and "oops, saftey caught on the holster, butI thought it was locked".

SteveInAshand

imported post

2 Reasons to take your handgun out of holster when using a public restroom.

1) When dropping trow I always take my 45 out and lay it on the TP dispenser because I don't want anything even my Levis touching the germ laden nasty wet floor, :uhoh:.

2) I sat in the toilet at the local nation wide burger joint one day "doing the doo" , my attention was distracted to the stall next to me by an a loud " biolavial fricative"
( fart) and so I turned over to see a pair of pants down to the nasty floor from the underview screen partition next to me and I noticed a belt holstered Glock half laying on the nasty wet floor amongst a deflated pair of jeans.

Moral of the story: If there was an anti sitting in my place instead of me, the anti would have seen Joe fart bottom's gun. But If the anti was sitting next to me he would only see an empty holster and no gun.

I don't think any anti would call the cop's and say , "there is a man in the restroom with an empty holster", which would go out over the dispatch air as "a 5150 who is delusional" , ;).

Gordie

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Gordie wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

My money is on a 1911 with a lightened trigger (but it feels so good at the range) being carried cocked and "oops, saftey caught on the holster, butI thought it was locked".

That would also require the grip safety to have been disabled as well. It would take someone with less knowledge about carrying firearms than Plaxico Burris to carry a 1911 in that condition.

Your bias against anything1911 is showing through.

PT111

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Gordie wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705277512,00.html

It happened Tuesday at the Carl's Jr. restaurant at 385 N. 800 West. Police said the 26-year-old man had gone into the bathroom to use the toilet, armed with a .40-caliber Kahr P40 handgun. The man, who has a valid concealed weapon permit and was lawfully in possession of the gun, had it in a holster inside his pants.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

PT111 wrote:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705277512,00.html

It happened Tuesday at the Carl's Jr. restaurant at 385 N. 800 West. Police said the 26-year-old man had gone into the bathroom to use the toilet, armed with a .40-caliber Kahr P40 handgun. The man, who has a valid concealed weapon permit and was lawfully in possession of the gun, had it in a holster inside his pants.

A ND from a striker fired pistol? Never!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This story just doesn't ring quite true. As others here have already pointed out, no reasonable person leaves his (don't know what the ladies do) sidearm attached to his pants to drag on the floor in a public mens room. To discharge this model of handgun, certain things just HAVE to happen mechanically.

It is very likely that this guy took the weapon out of the holster, and was putting it back when the weapon fired. That would imply, getting his finger someplace it should not be, thus overcoming any safety system in the design of the handgun.

But we have heard his story, and he seems to be sticking with it.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
OK, I'm not an expert on pistols, but I'm thinking the same scenario as Plaxico Burris; the pistol started dropping, he grabbed for it and hit the trigger. I'm also thinking that either it wasn't in the holster or wasn't properly secured by the holster.

I agree.If you're wearing an IWB holster (99% of which have no retention devices) it's very easy (in fact nearly guaranteed)forthe gunto fall out when dropping your pants totake a deuce. I'll be honest, it happened to me the very first time I attempted it. Ever since then I unholster before my pants go anywhere. Everyone here is assuming he was OCing, which is highly unlikely. If he was using an IWB holster, the gun wouldn't have been dragging on the floor, it would be laying on his pants.

sraacke

imported post

Gordie wrote:
I also wonder what type of gun it was,most guns don't fire just by dropping them.
I had a AD/ND after I dropped a cocked and locked Star BM 9mm. For those not familiar this is a spanish copy of the 1911 but chambered in 9mm and no grip safety. The gun fell from the hoster, hit the pavement barrel first and fired. Because of thisI rarely carry this pistol anymore.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

yale wrote:
Gordie wrote:
I also wonder what type of gun it was,most guns don't fire just by dropping them.
I had a AD/ND after I dropped a cocked and locked Star BM 9mm. For those not familiar this is a spanish copy of the 1911 but chambered in 9mm and no grip safety. The gun fell from the hoster, hit the pavement barrel first and fired. Because of thisI rarely carry this pistol anymore.
No firing pin block. While no one should ever depend on mechanical devices for safety, in my view the lack of a pin block is part of what makes most pre 1970, 1911 design pistols only a secondary choice as a side arm. IF it is all you have ... well ...