Thread: AK ammo

Post imported post

I shoot 7.62 X 39 ammo for my AK. I need to purchase more, but the sales clerk said that 7.62X39 is the same as a 308 bullet. I didn't buy any because I was skeptical. Is there a civilian round for my AK? I guess NATO rounds are getting hard to find. (Thanks Obama!)

Post imported post

It's not a ".308", but....it is. A 7.62x39 is in the range of .30 cal, same as .308 Win, .30-30, .30-06, etc. It's all about the same diameter, but of course the cartridge length, shape of the bullet, and powder charge are all different. That's why you can't just stick any ".30 caliber" bullet in the chamber of any ".30 caliber" gun. If you have an AK chambered for 7.62x39, you NEED 7.62x39. Don't buy .308 for it.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

7.62 x 39 =/= 7.62 x 51 = .308 NATO

Post imported post

So .308 is a no go for my AK. seems like these two replies are conflicting.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

They are not conflicting. They both state (correctly) that .308 will not work in an AK chambered for 7.62 x 39.

Doug's is just harder to decipher .

Post imported post

Sounds like you need to find a new place to buy guns and ammo because someone doesn't know their a** from their elbow.

Post imported post

Just ask the clerk "How the hell do you fit a 51 mm long cartridge in a 39 mm chamber that is also shaped differently?".
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

mobeewan wrote:
    Just ask the clerk "How the hell do you fit a 51 mm long cartridge in a 39 mm chamber that is also shaped differently?".
    exactly. By the way, was this at a gun store or sporting goods/walmart store? Most people that work gun counters in sporting goods or walmart stores are idiots when it comes to guns/ammo.

Post imported post

Ok look, 308 is another term for the 7.62x51 cartridge mainly used in larger firearms like the FAL, SAW etc.

Now .308 is the DIAMETER of the bullet itself. Your 7.62x39 is roughly that diameter, probably more like .310 being the AK stuff. Most of the 300 caliber bulletsare about the same diameter, just different lengths.

Here's the difference between a 30 '06, 7.62x51NATO (308) and 7.62x39 used in your AK.

Post imported post

redlegagent wrote:
    Sounds like you need to find a new place to buy guns and ammo because someone doesn't know their a** from their elbow.

HAHAHAHA!!! Beat me to it.

As far as ammo, Wolf is GTG in the AK. 1,000 rounds should run you under 250$

*edit - and 7.62X39 is WARSAW Pact, not NATO
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Post imported post

But, but, but, THISvideo says that the .308 is the standard round for the AK47!!!!

Right at the 1:05 mark!!!!

It's there, I swear!!!!

:P

In all seriousness, I'm glad I read this thread. With the little rifle experience I haveI was a tad confused with the assertion in the linked video that the AK is a .308. Would've been pretty embarassing to jam up the AK I'm sure I'll own soon with the wrong ammo!

Post imported post

I'm not sure why they call it the 7.62x39mm, when the bullet dimension is 7.92mm...anyone know? I know the 7.62x54R bullet is also 7.92mm diameter so the "mistake" probably starts there.

Post imported post

Dom wrote:
    I'm not sure why they call it the 7.62x39mm, when the bullet dimension is 7.92mm...anyone know?
    Because 7.62 is the diameter of the bore at the face of the lands.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."