• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK ammo

Godscreation

imported post

I shoot 7.62 X 39 ammo for my AK. I need to purchase more, but the sales clerk said that 7.62X39 is the same as a 308 bullet. I didn't buy any because I was skeptical. Is there a civilian round for my AK? I guess NATO rounds are getting hard to find. (Thanks Obama!)

compmanio365

imported post

It's not a ".308", but....it is. A 7.62x39 is in the range of .30 cal, same as .308 Win, .30-30, .30-06, etc. It's all about the same diameter, but of course the cartridge length, shape of the bullet, and powder charge are all different. That's why you can't just stick any ".30 caliber" bullet in the chamber of any ".30 caliber" gun. If you have an AK chambered for 7.62x39, you NEED 7.62x39. Don't buy .308 for it.

redlegagent

imported post

Sounds like you need to find a new place to buy guns and ammo because someone doesn't know their a** from their elbow.

mobeewan

imported post

Just ask the clerk "How the hell do you fit a 51 mm long cartridge in a 39 mm chamber that is also shaped differently?".

apcci2

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
Just ask the clerk "How the hell do you fit a 51 mm long cartridge in a 39 mm chamber that is also shaped differently?".
exactly. By the way, was this at a gun store or sporting goods/walmart store? Most people that work gun counters in sporting goods or walmart stores are idiots when it comes to guns/ammo.

chris in va

imported post

Ok look, 308 is another term for the 7.62x51 cartridge mainly used in larger firearms like the FAL, SAW etc.

Now .308 is the DIAMETER of the bullet itself. Your 7.62x39 is roughly that diameter, probably more like .310 being the AK stuff. Most of the 300 caliber bulletsare about the same diameter, just different lengths.

Here's the difference between a 30 '06, 7.62x51NATO (308) and 7.62x39 used in your AK.

FightingGlock19

imported post

redlegagent wrote:
Sounds like you need to find a new place to buy guns and ammo because someone doesn't know their a** from their elbow.

HAHAHAHA!!! Beat me to it.

As far as ammo, Wolf is GTG in the AK. 1,000 rounds should run you under 250$

*edit - and 7.62X39 is WARSAW Pact, not NATO

smash29

imported post

But, but, but, THISvideo says that the .308 is the standard round for the AK47!!!!

Right at the 1:05 mark!!!!

It's there, I swear!!!!

:p

In all seriousness, I'm glad I read this thread. With the little rifle experience I haveI was a tad confused with the assertion in the linked video that the AK is a .308. Would've been pretty embarassing to jam up the AK I'm sure I'll own soon with the wrong ammo! :uhoh:

Dom

imported post

I'm not sure why they call it the 7.62x39mm, when the bullet dimension is 7.92mm...anyone know? I know the 7.62x54R bullet is also 7.92mm diameter so the "mistake" probably starts there.