• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions on getting my personal protection permit

AWGlock

imported post

I'm getting ready to apply for my Indiana PPP permit online and have a few questions. I have lived in Indiana my whole life but have recently become unemployed due to economic downsizing. On the online permit there is section for you to fill out on your employer. If I fill this out as unemployed and put N/A for the address and all the other info will this have a bearing on getting my PPP application denied or approved? Secondly, if I do get denied can I reapply? I have a clean record so everything should be fine except for the being unemployed part. Any info would help.

tattedupboy

imported post

Indiana is shall issue, so as long as your background check comes back clean, and you're not in any way prohibited from owning or carrying, you will be approved.

dwjohns

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was unemployed when I applied for my lifetime license and I listed my employer as "self employed". I got my license with no problems.

AWGlock

imported post

You can only do it in a few counties, I think there are about 6. Go to in.gov/isp for more info. I would assume that when I go down to pay the fees that they will get my print card. I plan on doing it tomorrow so I will let you know.

AWGlock

imported post

Went down to finish my online application today and all I had to do was fill out a few more forms, get my prints taken and pay the fees ($50.00 Local and $75.00 State for a lifetime permit). All in all about a 30 minute trip and I was told I would know in about 10-12 weeks. Very easy and def worth it if your county allows an online application.

CathyInBlue

imported post

I would like some advice on obtaining a lifetime carry permit. I've held an Indiana PPP before, but let it lapse. Now, I want to get the new lifetime carry permit.

I am a lifetime Hoosier, bur I've also been under the outpatient care of psychotherapists for various personal issues. I've never been adjudicated mentally incompetent, nor been committed to a psychiatric hospital, against my will or otherwise. I've been been seeing a therapist off and on for the past 3 years.

Two years ago, I filed for a lifetime permit and was denied. Is there anything is being in therapy that should disbar me from carrying a firearm in public for my own protection? It was a fear that this issue would result in the loss of my 2nd Amendment and Section 32 rights that kept me from seeking medical care for so long.

I admitted to being under the care of a psychotherapist on my denied application. Do I need to outright lie and deny any psychological problems (because I really do consider them to be nothing that anybody else has the least authority to know about, period) or do I need to get a letter from my current therapist stating that I am not now, nor have I ever been, a danger to myself or others to include in the application?

For the record, while I do not consider it proper to air my dirty mental laundry on a public discussion board, it's nothing so severe as schizophrenia that would manifestly make me unfit to carry a weapon. Think of it more like OCD, needing therapy, but more a personality quirk than a mental illness.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Cathyinblue wrote:

but more a personality quirk than a mental illness.
uh....er.... some folks consider repeat criminal offender as being a "personality quirk". :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seroiusly though, a letter from your theropist might help.

CathyInBlue

imported post

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

A marksman in Iraq; No gun permit in Omaha(Omaha World-Herald)

I've made a decision. My counselling is none of the State's business. I'm reupping for a lifetime permit and answering no on the mental health questions.