• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two things: Bob's Gun Shop + Online CC Class

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

My friend bought an XD9 from Bob's in Norfolk the other day. I met him up there as it was his first gun purchase (and far from mine) to help him along. While I was there I decided I'd try to buy a retention holster for my CC gun since lately I've been carrying it to my internship over winter break, sometimes leaving it in the truck and then always sticking it in my pants after work...be nice to be able to carry my small gun, but have a retention holster to OC after work. Anyway, asked the Bob about it and he said (not surprisingly) that he doubted they had a retention holster for that model gun (Taurus PT745), but referred me to the salesman who was helping my friend.

Salesman who was helping my friend eventually helped me out, and we did find a holster I liked, but in the process of looking for it he questioned why I needed retention. I explained OC'ing in some situations in which I had previously been concealing would be more comfortable to me if I had been carrying in a retention holster. Normally I don't just set out to OC this gun, so I only have an OWB and IWB for it, neither with any retention other than being pretty tight...

His response (paraphrased, and said with a condescending tone): "or you could do like me and just never stop concealing."

That's wrong on two levels: 1.) They are a gun shop...stewards of the gun world, if you will. They should be the last one to advocate breaking laws (out to dinner was the example I gave, a situation in which CC is illegal. As dumb as that is, it's still the law). 2.) Aren't they trying to make a sale? If I want to open carry and they think it's the dumbest thing they've ever heard of, they should wait until I leave the store and talk crap once I leave. What I do is my business... and in this situation they should encourage it since it increases their business.

Rubbed me wrong and I wanted to tell someone who cared. My friend isn't on board with OC'ing, so he didn't really find what the clerk said offensive.

SECONDLY, I have two friends, both in Suffolk, neither having ever taken a hunter safety or handgun class, submit their CC paperwork using Bob's online class. One friend about 2 or 3 weeks before Christmas. The other (same one who just bought the XD) just took the class this week. The 2nd friend got a call from Bob's explaining that Suffolk won't take the class without range time, they're fighting it in court, but in the meanwhile he was told to come in and shoot 25 rounds to avoid getting delayed while it played out in court.

Friend 2 did this and THEN submitted his paperwork (with a new certificate.) Friend 1 didn't do this, never heard from Bob's and hasn't heard from the courthouse.

Should he get denied, as Bob's is suggesting he may, what are his options since the requirement's validity is apparently currently be contested?

Thanks.

ChessEcho1

imported post

Hello, I am a NRA Certified instructor and I will be conducting a CCW (NRA Pistol Class) this Sunday the 18 at the Masonic Lodge in Norfolk, Va. If you want, you can contact me at cjgalosi@netscape.net or call me at 757-414-4050.

some verb

imported post

Hello, I am a NRA Certified instructor and I will be conducting a CCW (NRA Pistol Class) this Sunday the 18 at the Masonic Lodge in Norfolk, Va. If you want, you can contact me at cjgalosi@netscape.net or call me at 757-414-4050.

This settles everything!

To the OP, it's too late, unless you want to go back to Bob's, to do much about the salesman, but I personally enjoy pressing people on the illegality of what they suggest (ok ok, depending on the person I'm also happy to explain the reasoning behind my OCing in general, and the reasons I wouldn't violate gun laws because "I just always CC").

As for the courses, it seems to me the friend who hasn't heard anything really doesn't have anthing to do except wait and see if his permit is denied. If it's not, he'll have his permit (or a temp. if it takes over the 45) and if it is, then he could probably talk to the folks at Bob's to get whatever legit reason he's denied for taken care of. It's certainly an extra hassle for him, but I don't know what else could possibly happen in this scenario, unless he wants to take it to court himself...which probably wouldn't be a bad idea, if the Bob's shop course does actually meet requirements (i know nothing about it).

PayMeNow

imported post

Someof the salesmen inBobs Gun Shop are anti OC. This isn't the first thread about them scorning OC.

darthmord

imported post

PayMeNow wrote:
Someof the salesmen inBobs Gun Shop are anti OC. This isn't the first thread about them scorning OC.

Yep. Same happened to my wife & me when we got our serpa holsters. Given the description given by the OP, I suspect I know who he was talking with. That particular guy is very anti-OC. His opinion of OC is you are no better (and likely worse) than a common thug.

When I go to the store at Bob's, I prefer to interact with Scotty & TJ. While Scotty also dislikes OC, he also leaves how you carry up to you. He's more concerned that everyone who can own / buy a gun does so than with how someone carries. TJ just wants people to buy guns and have a good time using them legally.

vtme_grad98

imported post

darthmord wrote:
PayMeNow wrote:

Yep. Same happened to my wife & me when we got our serpa holsters. Given the description given by the OP, I suspect I know who he was talking with. That particular guy is very anti-OC. His opinion of OC is you are no better (and likely worse) than a common thug.

When I go to the store at Bob's, I prefer to interact with Scotty & TJ. While Scotty also dislikes OC, he also leaves how you carry up to you. He's more concerned that everyone who can own / buy a gun does so than with how someone carries. TJ just wants people to buy guns and have a good time using them legally.
My approach to that attitude there was to just stop shopping at Bob's. It's not like they're the only gun store in the area, and they are far from the best gun range as well.

TexasNative

imported post

I'm just kinda surprised that no one has dressed this guy down at Bob's. I don't live in the area, but I'd be sorely tempted to stop by there just to see if I can get this numbskull to lecture me about open carry. I'd be more than happy to eat his lunch as 1) a gun owner, 2) a gun carrier, and especially 3) a sales person who is supposed to sell merchandise instead of telling customers that they're stupid/reckless/beneath him.

Oh man, I'd have a field day with this guy (with the obvious advantage of knowing what he's like and having formulated responses in advance). It wouldn't be pretty.

vtme_grad98

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I'm just kinda surprised that no one has dressed this guy down at Bob's. I don't live in the area, but I'd be sorely tempted to stop by there just to see if I can get this numbskull to lecture me about open carry. I'd be more than happy to eat his lunch as 1) a gun owner, 2) a gun carrier, and especially 3) a sales person who is supposed to sell merchandise instead of telling customers that they're stupid/reckless/beneath him.

Oh man, I'd have a field day with this guy (with the obvious advantage of knowing what he's like and having formulated responses in advance). It wouldn't be pretty.

There would really only be two reasons for doing that: you enjoy being an asshole sometimes (something I can definitely appreciate), or you think you might actually change their minds.

I would be highly surprised if anyone could accomplish the latter of those with any of the staff there. So if changing their minds is your actual goal, I wouldn't hold my breath on that if I were you.

I still recall aseveral years ago when I mentioned to a couple of the staff there about the recent (well, recent then) full premption of city/county gun laws (so this would have been July-Sep 2004 time frame). The "you don't know what the **** you're talking about kid" look on their faces definitely stuck with me.

Two things really stood out for me there. One, it amazed me that people who make their living selling guns in Virginia couldn't be bothered to stay up to date at all on changes to the handful of laws we actually have in the state regarding firearms. Two, it especially surprised me that people who clearly don't try to know a thing about how the laws have recently changed can simultaneously act like they are all-knowing, and unquestionable, about those same laws. Hell, they laws only actually change once a year, and they list them all on VCDL. It's not terribly hard to stay up to speed on it.

TexasNative

imported post

Well, it's a dream more than anything else. I don't live anywhere nearby, so I'm not likely to make the trip.

noah

imported post

I can only think of a very few gun shops ( MAYBE :uhoh: ONE ) that dont have some idiots working there. Many tell wrong info or push what they think is best for everyone. All I want is a salesman until I ask the questions. :idea:

There was a good guy named Scott at the armory in va beach but dont know what happened to him.:banghead:

essayons

imported post

The "all-knowing guru on all things gun" attitude is pervasive among gunshop employees, and you as a lowly customer could never tell them anything new... after all, they sit around and read manufacturers descriptions all day.

I imagine that attitude comes from constantly being asked gun questions by customers day after day. If enough people are asking your opinion on a topic repeatedly, it must be easy to think you are an expert. Doesn't make that attitude any less annoying though.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Friend 1 (who just turned in the online class to Suffolk without shooting anything or doing anything extra) just got the letter that his permit is ready, but since he has to show up in person and the courthouse was closed Friday and will be closed Monday, he doesn't yet have his permit.

That being the case, I'm not sure who was misinformed in telling Friend 2 that he needed to come in and shoot or Suffolk would reject the online class.

As to the clerk, in hindsight, I probably would have felt better about myself if I were either more assertive (even if no one's mind was changed) OR if I hadn't bought the holster from them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
As to the clerk, in hindsight, I probably would have felt better about myself if I were either more assertive (even if no one's mind was changed) OR if I hadn't bought the holster from them.
Voting with your pocket book/wallet - now there is a novel approach.:)

Yata hey

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Yata hey
Well as my friend so eloquently put it when I mentioned that idea on the way out: "They don't give two sh!ts about you and your $60 holster or they wouldn't have made that comment in the first place..."

Probably true.

tripledipper

imported post

With the traffic problems in downtown Norfolk only getting worse due to the light rail construction, it becomes less desireable to go to Bob's for any reason. I am thinking about joining NCRR and staying away from Norfolk altogether. Like someone said, they don't care a flying frog about you anyway.

sccrref

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Yata hey
Well as my friend so eloquently put it when I mentioned that idea on the way out: "They don't give two sh!ts about you and your $60 holster or they wouldn't have made that comment in the first place..."

Probably true.
Most likely true. However, if they lose enough $60 + sales, then they sure will start to wonder why and what can they do to fix the problem. If they don't and they go out of business. Good riddance.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sccrref wrote:
Most likely true. However, if they lose enough $60 + sales, then they sure will start to wonder why and what can they do to fix the problem. If they don't and they go out of business. Good riddance.
Neither is likely without some serious competition - don't see that happening anytime soon.

Yata hey

Harryhood

imported post

My girlfriend is currently involved with a issue with her permit in Newport News they denied her permit because of the online class. Called Bobs and the gave her the 25 rounds and we will give you another certificate speech we are currently taking the city to court if you submit this one you should be fine.But now since she was denied she has t have an oral hearing to submit the new cert. What a pain in the Arse. will keep you posted hearing on the 27 of Jan.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Harryhood wrote:
My girlfriend is currently involved with a issue with her permit in Newport News they denied her permit because of the online class. Called Bobs and the gave her the 25 rounds and we will give you another certificate speech we are currently taking the city to court if you submit this one you should be fine.But now since she was denied she has t have an oral hearing to submit the new cert. What a pain in the Arse. will keep you posted hearing on the 27 of Jan.
I have been hearing the same thing from several people now. Seems that quite a few courts are turning down the online course.