• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two things: Bob's Gun Shop + Online CC Class

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

noah wrote:
There was a good guy named Scott at the armory in va beach but dont know what happened to him.:banghead:

You can catch him over on 2aforum.com. He goes by NavyP220, but he's deployed now, which is why he's not around the shop anymore.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

ed wrote:
Heck.. I almost WISH I could do it again and be turned down just for the fun of fighting it.
I told my friend the same thing. If he had gotten denied (which again, he did NOT...the class worked fine for him, without any shooting or extra work permit returned in 28 days), I don't know that he would have fought it rather than just go do the 25 rounds and resubmitted. I would have fought it to ensure it didn't happen again, and I would have enjoyed it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
ed wrote:
Heck.. I almost WISH I could do it again and be turned down just for the fun of fighting it.
I told my friend the same thing. If he had gotten denied (which again, he did NOT...the class worked fine for him, without any shooting or extra work permit returned in 28 days), I don't know that he would have fought it rather than just go do the 25 rounds and resubmitted. I would have fought it to ensure it didn't happen again, and I would have enjoyed it.
Winning a good fight is in all ways superior to just being in a fight. :)

Yata hey

IrRelevant

imported post

I have only had positive results at Bobs, that is one of my favorite shops.

Now on the other hand, Ron Hess Arms on Tidewater Driveis about the worst place in the Hampton Roads area.

wylde007

imported post

IrRelevant wrote:
I have only had positive results at Bobs, that is one of my favorite shops.
Bob's is good people. I have not heard anything but positive experiences from people going in there (except they close the sales counter at 5:30 or something) and my personal experiences have been enjoyable.

A&P at Lynnhaven is a little sketchy, but they get the job done. Superior at Aragona is also decent. Both of them have more of an intimidating air about them than Bob's; like Hawley Smoot walking into a biker bar.

I took a CHP class back in '97 (or '98, I forget) when VA was "may issue" and then was denied. I kept the certificate anyway. A couple of months ago I took the same certificate back to VB and applied now that we're "shall issue" and about 30 days later I had permit in hand.

Hold on to your paperwork, mates.

[line]The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid.
Novus Ordo Seclorum

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
I took a CHP class back in '97 (or '98, I forget) when VA was "may issue" and then was denied.  I kept the certificate anyway.  A couple of months ago I took the same certificate back to VB and applied now that we're "shall issue" and about 30 days later I had permit in hand.

Hold on to your paperwork, mates.

I used my 1993 hunter safety course certificate in 12/07 to get my permit. Hang on indeed. :)

Squid13

imported post

Ok, I'm sure most of us locals know exactly which employee was delt with. Some people are always right no matter how wrong they are. I also have a Puerto Rican friend that is convinced everyone at Bob's is a racist. I can say that I've seen some evidence to imply that one or two might have some racial bias. Having said all of this, in my oppinion, they have the best inventory and in most cases are the most helpful and informative employees in this area. I open carry at Bob's unless I'm coming straight from base, in which case I don't have a gun on me anyway. Nobody has ever given a negative look or comment to me. I also don't experience any racism, possibly due to the fact that I'm a white male.

I guess my point is, I'll continue to shop there. I am however on the lookout for an alternative gun shop. The Armory would be great if they had anything in stock. My above mentioned friend orders all of his guns from them. I just hate waiting.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

D & R arms in Portsmouth used to be pretty good. I went there a plenty since they are a class 3 dealer and my buddy is into that kind of thing (not to say I'm not, but I'm not wealthy enough for that game). They burnt down around the holiday's and I don't know when/if they'll be back...

I only ever go to Bob's if someone else wants to go there. I like dealing with Roanoke Firearms when I'm up at school (which luckily is 8 months out of the year.)

Harryhood

imported post

So I went with my Girl to her hearing yesterday and it was a joke. I took the day off of work we go down there she gave the judge the new cert and he sad thank you and the permit will be in the mail in 1 or 2 days. It honestly took all of 5 minutes,what a waste of taxpayer money just because the city of Newport News does not now how to read the Code. But all turned out well.