Thread: When OCing what do you do in your vehicle.

Post imported post

I have heard of laws where you cannot have a loaded weapon in the car without a concealed weapons permit. So for those of you who OC and do not have the permit, do you unload your gun every time you get the car? Or is there some point to the laws I've heard that I haven't understood?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

We don't have that problem here in Virginia.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

The devil is in the details of each jurisdictions laws.

In Wisconsin, I may, can and do OC but cannot have a loaded weapon in the car. So I unload and reload on each entering and exiting of my vehicle.

While I lived in SC, once in the car I transferred my CCW to Chihuahua-Mexican x-draw from 3 o'clock IWB. Eventually I carried that way, Chihuahua all the time.

Post imported post

I've got a CPL and I always CC. I just wondered what everyone did because it seems like an awful lot of hassle to unload and load when you get in and out.

Post imported post

Sounds like a good plan. I was just curious, seems like an odd law that you can carry it locked and loaded, but not in the car.

Post imported post

Before I got my CPL, I was thinking about this.... So, if I am OCing unloaded in my car, then get out of the car, insert magazine and drop the slide, that may (and probably should) warrant alarm. Seems weird to me that to OC you are sort of forced to break the law. I know that if I see someone doing this, that it is probably ok, but some soccer mom outside of a wal-mart is going to freak out.

Post imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
    I have heard of laws where you cannot have a loaded weapon in the car without a concealed weapons permit. So for those of you who OC and do not have the permit, do you unload your gun every time you get the car? Or is there some point to the laws I've heard that I haven't understood?

Since I see from your profile that you live in WA, allow me to makethe same suggestion NavyLT already made:

WA is a "Shall Issue" state for concealed carry permits, so go and get yourself a permit. This will allow you to OC and move in and out of your vehicle without needing to adjust or handle your firearm (or magazines/speedloaders) at all.

For those in other states, I'd suggest reading the applicable laws and figuring out what the best alternative is.

neddis wrote:
    Before I got my CPL, I was thinking about this.... So, if I am OCing unloaded in my car, then get out of the car, insert magazine and drop the slide, that may (and probably should) warrant alarm. Seems weird to me that to OC you are sort of forced to break the law. I know that if I see someone doing this, that it is probably ok, but some soccer mom outside of a wal-mart is going to freak out.

Yup, in fact there's a thread on the WA state forums that shows just what can happen if you are loading your firearm in your vehicle in a parking lot and someone gets alarmed and phones the police... It's not a pretty result so far. Hopefully the charges are dropped.

Post imported post

I have my CPL and I always CC. This was just a curiosity thing. I didn't post this in WA because I was curious about all over though, not just in WA. Thank you for the responses everyone.