• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about CHL

HENZ

imported post

If i was put on deferred adjudication back in 1994 and its has been completed since 1999 does this disqualify me from being able to get a CHL

KBCraig

imported post

Deferred adjudication for what?

For the purposes of a Texas CHL, deferred adjudication counts as a conviction. There is a seven year "reckoning period" after final action is taken on the case.

Unless the charge involved domestic violence or a felony, you should be clear for a CHL.

HENZ

imported post

i am not quit sure what the exact charge was. i was 18 back then and stupid. i have requested certified copies from the courts just waiting on them to show up. if i am able to purchase a gun under federal and state law shouldn't i be able to get the CHL?

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

HENZ wrote:
i am not quit sure what the exact charge was. i was 18 back then and stupid. i have requested certified copies from the courts just waiting on them to show up. if i am able to purchase a gun under federal and state law shouldn't i be able to get the CHL?
If you are not eligible for a Texas CHL, just get a Florida Non-Resident permit.

You should be eligible since they only require 3 years between when your probation ends and when you apply.

Reasons to get a Florida permit:
  • It is valid in 22 states including Texas
  • It is cheaper than a Texas CHL
  • There is less paperwork
  • You get it in half the time
It's a no-brainer!

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

HENZ

imported post

Ianmtx wrote:
HENZ wrote:
If you are not eligible for a Texas CHL, just get a Florida Non-Resident permit.

You should be eligible since they only require 3 years between when your probation ends and when you apply.

Reasons to get a Florida permit:
  • It is valid in 22 states including Texas
  • It is cheaper than a Texas CHL
  • There is less paperwork
  • You get it in half the time
It's a no-brainer!

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

hey thanks for this great info and the link. i requested an application last night. I am still going to wait on my court papers so i can see if i can just get a TX one but after reviewing the FL and UT ones I will probably just go this route anyway.

KBCraig

imported post

HENZ wrote:
if i am able to purchase a gun under federal and state law shouldn't i be able to get the CHL?
No, the CHL standard is much higher. You can purchase a gun under federal law so long as you haven't been convicted of a felony, or a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

You can't get a CHL if you have been convicted of any Class A or B misdemeanor in the last five years; there are some traffic tickets, including any DWI, which will automatically disqualify you for five years.

You also can't get a CHL if you're in default on student loans or are delinquent on property taxes.

wanttheright

imported post

I was convicted of two felonies twelve years ago... both involved DWI. One was DWI and the other involved injury to my friend (he broke his foot). I am not on probation or parole and have been clear and free for quite sometime. Is there ANYWAY possible that I can own a hand gun again or get my CHL?

I grew up with guns and gun safety. I was an avid hunter and would also like to have my CHL.

Thank you in advance for your help.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

wanttheright wrote:
I was convicted of two felonies twelve years ago... both involved DWI. One was DWI and the other involved injury to my friend (he broke his foot). I am not on probation or parole and have been clear and free for quite sometime. Is there ANYWAY possible that I can own a hand gun again or get my CHL?

I grew up with guns and gun safety. I was an avid hunter and would also like to have my CHL.

Thank you in advance for your help.

IANAL, but no, sorry. A felony conviction is a complete blocker, particularly under federal law. You cannoteventemporarily possessfirearms, much less purchase, own, or carry them. Unless you get those convictions overturned or pardoned and your rights fully restored, you're stuck.

I know this first hand: I was on a federal juryfor a felon-in-possession case earlier this year. :(

dlofton

imported post

Actually, according to the 2A you should not be prevented for having a felony conviction. The 2A says that "Congress shall not make any law..." In other words, you should be able to possess a firearm after a felony conviction because the US Constituation does not recognize whether or not a felony conviction plays any part of bearing arms.

Trust me on this. Go ahead and buy and possess all the firearms of you want. Trust me, I am a police officer and I would never steer you wrong. :p

David

wanttheright

imported post

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was the case but I had to ask. I will inquire about getting the convictions removed or reduced. I know its a long shot but I think its worth it.

Thank you again.