• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Snoqualmie

jddssc121

imported post

I got this email back

I am the Snoqualmie City Attorney. This responds to your email to Joan Pliego regarding SMC 12.12.350.

Since the state has pre-empted the field of firearms regulation; the statute only provides a limited authority for cities to regulate the mere possession of firearms in certain locations, such as jails and stadiums; such authority does not include parks; and violation of SMC 12.12.350 is defined as a misdemeanor, I would agree that the portion of SMC 12.12.350 that purports to prohibit the mere possession of firearms in city parks is pre-empted by RCW 9.41.300.

I do not know whether anybody has been arrested or prosecuted for violating the prohibition on the mere possession of firearms in city parks, but I am advising the Police Department, Parks Department and City Prosecutor that the portion of SMC 12.12.350 prohibiting the mere possession of firearms in city parks is pre-empted and unenforceable, and all officers should be advised not to arrest or cite for a violation based solely on the mere possession of a firearm in a city park.

That said, given limited resources and higher priority issues, I cannot say when City Council may amend SMC 12.12.350 to remove the pre-empted portion prohibiting the mere possession of firearms. As you are no doubt aware, the portion of SMC 12.12.350 prohibiting the discharge of firearms is specifically authorized by RCW 9.41.300(2)(a). Discharge of firearms anywhere in the City is also prohibited by chapter 6.08 SMC, and the City as the landowner denies permission to hunt by any means in City open spaces, sensitive areas and parks in section 12.12.260 SMC. Additionally, laws prohibiting certain conduct, such as reckless endangerment, threatening or menacing or assault, will be strictly enforced. My advice to the Police Department therefore is strictly limited to the mere possession of firearms.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

jddssc121

imported post

and i sent this back

Thank you for the information. I know the city has been very busy with the flooding. I appreciate your time.

I agree with your assessment of regulating the discharge of firearms, it is completely within the city's power to legislate as desired. I also understand that crimes committed with a firearm, are of course still crimes, under both Snoqualmie city code and RCW 9A. My question was only regarding the possession of a firearm. I apologize for my vague email.

It is good to hear your are notifying PD, Parks and the prosecutor regarding the preemption. I would like a copy of any form of training bulletin issued from the Chief or training officer for the PD; I realize your specific written advice is exempt under RCW 42.56.

Longer term I would hope the city moves to amend the city code. People retire, find different jobs, etc, but the code remains. I'd like to avoid having to bring this up again 5 years down the road. Is that something that is possible? If so, who can i speak with to address this?

Thank you again for your time,