Thread: My First Handgun Purchase

Post imported post

So after a couple months of waiting for our permits the wife and I finally headed out to the gun store last night. After seeing some good reviews we went to Newington Gun Exchange in Newington, CT. The guys there were great. Spent the time to show my wife how to field strip and re-assemble any firearm she was interested in. Even some friendly ribbing about whether she would want it in pink or not.

She picked up a brand new Glock 26. As long as the magazine has the pinky boot on it, it fits perfectly in her hand. Haven't had a chance to take any pictures of it yet.

I picked up a used CZ 40P. I was pretty set on .40 S&W and out of all the ones they had, the CZ felt the best in my hand. The gun is in great shape and the best part is since it was used the cost savings is enough for me to get another one! Comes with the original case, 2 10 round mags, and some cleaning supplies. I do know the history of the 40P being a bit of a "Frankengun" but the people who have them seem to love them.

So what do people think?

Post imported post

As long as it feels good to you and functions okay, who cares about mass appeal. Enjoy your new acquisition! Don't forget to shoot it with the missus, nothing like family sports.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

The .40S&W isan excellent choice for your defensive carry caliber. Plenty of fine loads available for this one. It is my primary carry caliber in several of my carry guns.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

There is nothing at all wrong with CZs, I have a CZ clone myself. I like them very much. If your happy with it then you will be more likely to shoot it and become proficient. Plusthe savings, which allow forfurther purchases, is a very good bonus.:celebrate

Post imported post

CZs are great. One drawback is that finding aftermarket accessories can sometimes be tough since they aren't as popular as other manufacturers.

Post imported post

Outstanding choices.

Post imported post

Looks like the start of a great collection

I've fired both of those multiple times before.

I favor the CZ in this race

Post imported post

Congrads and welcome to the free world. While not a glock fan, I think both guns will work really well.

Post imported post

You both found good guns that work well for YOU. That is the main thing. Now make sure you go out there and practice practice practice!! You will find yourself spending a small fortune on ammo....

Post imported post

First wanted to say thanks for the nice comments. I'm always a little nervous buying anything used since you never know how the previous owner(s) have treated it. But everyone is surprised when I say the CZ is used it looks so nice and clean.

Due to obligations we weren't able to make it to the range until today. In fact, we just walked back in the door.

The CZ was just beautiful. I was using WWB and not a single hiccup. I shot some nice tight groups and I'm really pleased at how it performed. For a .40 S&W, the recoil felt less than other models I've shot before. It seemed to come right back down on target.

The wife did a great job. She's getting used to a subcompact. Plus she admits her hand strength isn't what it used to be. She started off a little wild and then started pulling the groups tighter until she got tired and they started loosening up again. But she is very pleased and can't wait to go back.

We paid for family membership at the range, unlimited shooting time! I did joke on the way back that I might put us in the poor house on ammunition. We're gonna look for a .22LR for plinking so it won't always be so bad.

Post imported post

redlegagent wrote:
    Don't forget to shoot it with the missus.
    Don't confuse that with shoot the missus with it. Very important difference

Buying used Glocks are a great way to save some bucks because they last forever. Even used they are the best guns out there.

Post imported post

Now that I'm comfortable with having a kid and a gun in the house, here is the first:

Why, because it was love at first touch when I saw it at my LGS, oh yea, hubby liked it too, Merry Christmas honey