• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please answer me this one

Rabid SA-XD

imported post

why isnt there a national law concerning CCW permits?

the reciprocity is a joke, I live in alaska, which Honors EVERY STATE as far as CCW permits are concerned.

now lets take WV for example, which i am visiting very shortly.

WV does not issue CCW to non-residents, but has reciprocity with a few states. that in itself is a joke. now my real question.

whats the difference between issuing a non-resident permit, and someone getting a "shall issue" permit from a state that WV has reciprocity with?

Im thinking that may be the route i go, sucks, i have to find a loophole to circumvent a retarded law in the first place, but why arent more people involved in having a national ccw standard?

SlackwareRobert

imported post

The big difference is you need to move to the shall issue state.
Just get a non-resident permit from a state they recognise, and
pray BHO doesn't make a federal CC, or only political cronies will get them
at all.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Rabid SA-XD wrote:
why isnt there a national law concerning CCW permits?

the reciprocity is a joke, I live in alaska, which Honors EVERY STATE as far as CCW permits are concerned.

now lets take WV for example, which i am visiting very shortly.

WV does not issue CCW to non-residents, but has reciprocity with a few states. that in itself is a joke. now my real question.

whats the difference between issuing a non-resident permit, and someone getting a "shall issue" permit from a state that WV has reciprocity with?

Im thinking that may be the route i go, sucks, i have to find a loophole to circumvent a retarded law in the first place, but why arent more people involved in having a national ccw standard?

Would you rather have a few states be a pain in the rear to a partial population of the US or would you rather have the Federal government be a pain in the rear to 100% of the US population?

If the US government regulated CCW many people who enjoy the benefitis of living in free states would lose those benefits.

Why do you think that would be the case especially since the SC ruling in the Heller case (I am not debating; I just don't understand your angle)?

2nd Amendment........Use it.......Or, lose it!!:X

Smurfologist

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Would you rather have a few states be a pain in the rear to a partial population of the US or would you rather have the Federal government be a pain in the rear to 100% of the US population?

If the US government regulated CCW many people who enjoy the benefitis of living in free states would lose those benefits.

Why do you think that would be the case especially since the SC ruling in the Heller case (I am not debating; I just don't understand your angle)?

Heller only loosened up the tightest gun control laws in the country. But, to my knowledge, and I might be wrong, doesn't DC still have some of the tightest gun control laws even after Heller?

I believe DC does have strict gun laws (still). But, IMHO, they are not as bad as the gun laws in the city of Chicago where there is an out right ban on handguns that has been in place since 1982.

Maybe I am wrong, but, I would think that a US Government regulated Conceal Carry Weapon program would, at the very least, support the affirmation of the US Constitution which includes the 2nd Amendment (I would only hope). What's happening in DC is just wrong becausethey definitely do not have"common sense" gun laws, such as the one where you can't have a "ready to fire" handgun unless a perp has essentially come in your home, and, you are in imminent danger (then you can make a "ready to fire" weapon). You will be dead by then!!:cuss:It is a joke!!

2nd Amendment.......Use it.......Or, lose it!!:X

Smurfologist

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

Heller only loosened up the tightest gun control laws in the country. But, to my knowledge, and I might be wrong, doesn't DC still have some of the tightest gun control laws even after Heller?

I believe DC does have strict gun laws (still). But, IMHO, they are not as bad as the gun laws in the city of Chicago where there is an out right ban on handguns that has been in place since 1982.

Maybe I am wrong, but, I would think that a US Government regulated Conceal Carry Weapon program would, at the very least, support the affirmation of the US Constitution which includes the 2nd Amendment (I would only hope). What's happening in DC is just wrong becausethey definitely do not have"common sense" gun laws, such as the one where you can't have a "ready to fire" handgun unless a perp has essentially come in your home, and, you are in imminent danger (then you can make a "ready to fire" weapon). You will be dead by then!!:cuss:It is a joke!!

And it is the US Government who makes the DC laws.

Are you sure? I thought it was the DC Council Board Members.......I don't keep up with DC politics at all, so I am not sure.

I would hate to think that I joined the Marine Corps to protect and uphold the Constitution of the United States, and, the US Government would totally disregard "the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." Just my two cents.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Rabid SA-XD wrote:
SNIP but why arent more people involved in having a national ccw standard?

1. I won't support it. The federal government has hogged so much power to itself and used it with such tryrannical excess that it has become a latter day Ozymandias. I'm not willing to giveit the power to regulate morethings that are constitutionally in the states' realm. Notfor the personal convenience related to a permit.

Onceregulation is turned over to them, regulation is turned over to them. And there is very little guarantee we will get the regulation we want. In fact, history shows we will getrights infringing regulation sooner or later.

Alaska and Vermont are much closer to the ideal. I do feel it inappropriatethat their citizens should suffer for the anti-rights attitudes of the rest of the Union.

I would rather see Alaska and Vermont havea system where theircitizens can apply for backround checks and so forth for a CCW clean-handscertificate.

2. It would be helpful ifthread titles included some information on what the thread is about.

Smurfologist

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Rabid SA-XD wrote:

1. I won't support it. The federal government has hogged so much power to itself and used it with such tryrannical excess that it has become a latter day Ozymandias. I'm not willing to giveit the power to regulate morethings that are constitutionally in the states' realm. Notfor the personal convenience related to a permit.

Onceregulation is turned over to them, regulation is turned over to them. And there is very little guarantee we will get the regulation we want. In fact, history shows we will getrights infringing regulation sooner or later.

Alaska and Vermont are much closer to the ideal. I do feel it inappropriatethat their citizens should suffer for the anti-rights attitudes of the rest of the Union.

I would rather see Alaska and Vermont havea system where theircitizens can apply for background checks and so forth for a CCW clean-handscertificate.

2. It would be helpful ifthread titles included some information on what the thread is about.

Citizen, you have shined more light on this subject. I guess I didn't look at it that way; Iget itnow.

I do have a question: What did you meanwhen you said that you would rather see Alaska and Vermont havea system where theircitizens can apply for background checks and so forth for a CCW clean-handscertificate?

2nd Amendment.........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Rabid SA-XD wrote:

SNIP 1. I won't support it.

Citizen, you have shined more light on this subject. I guess I didn't look at it that way; Iget itnow.

I do have a question: What did you meanwhen you said that you would rather see Alaska and Vermont havea system where theircitizens can apply for background checks and so forth for a CCW clean-handscertificate?

Thank you for the compliment.

Here is what I meant.

It would be a regression for the citizens of Alaska and Vermont to have a permit or license system. Permits and licenses = revocable privilege and all that.

But they could have asystem with the same backround checking and so forth as other states do for CCW permits. If the backround check turns up nothing, a certificate is issued to him exclusively for the purpose of facilitating reciprocity in the state he wants to get non-resident CCW. The certificate would NOT be a license or permit. Simply a certificate stating the backround checking, firearm training, and so forth have been verified to be in place, results consistent with the requirements of the statewhere he wants to get a non-resident permit.

Personally, I would wantto include in anyceritficate-system authorizing legislation a strong reaffirmation of the RKBA, that permits and licenses areclearly anunacceptable violation of the RKBA, and thatthe certificates are ONLY for reciprocity.

Smurfologist

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Rabid SA-XD wrote:

SNIP 1. I won't support it.

Thank you for the compliment.

Here is what I meant.

It would be a regression for the citizens of Alaska and Vermont to have a permit or license system. Permits and licenses = revocable privilege and all that.

But they could have asystem with the same backround checking and so forth as other states do for CCW permits. If the backround check turns up nothing, a certificate is issued to him exclusively for the purpose of facilitating reciprocity in the state he wants to get non-resident CCW. The certificate would NOT be a license or permit. Simply a certificate stating the backround checking, firearm training, and so forth have been verified to be in place, results consistent with the requirements of the statewhere he wants to get a non-resident permit.

Personally, I would wantto include in anyceritficate-system authorizing legislation a strong reaffirmation of the RKBA, that permits and licenses areclearly anunacceptable violation of the RKBA, and thatthe certificates are ONLY for reciprocity.

You are quite welcome!! That makes so much sense; I was lost and now I'm found (smile).......Hopefully, the State Reps will come around (I won't hold my breath).

2nd Amendment.........Use it.........Or, lose it!!:X

soloban

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
[SNIP]
Are you sure? I thought it was the DC Council Board Members.......I don't keep up with DC politics at all, so I am not sure.
[/SNIP]
+1. The DC City Council makes the laws for DC (Home Rule Act of 1973).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_Home_Rule_Act

That said, they more or less do so at the pleasure of the Congress. Congress retains the right to "exercise exclusive legislation" over DC as they see fit. (US Constitution, Article 1, Section 8). Sometimes just the threat of Federal Legislation is enough to get the DC City Council to have a change of mind. If you want to watch a spirited debate on CSPAN watch the Delegate from DC (Elanor Holmes) anytime the House Debates Federal Legislation directed at the District. I would hate to be on her bad list...:uhoh:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_States_of_America#Section_8

"To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be...."

The DC City Gov't IMHO is one of the most corrupt and mismanaged city Governments in the entire United States. :banghead:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

soloban wrote:
SNIP "To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be...."

The DC City Gov't IMHO is one of the most corrupt and mismanaged city Governments in the entire United States. :banghead:

It just dawned on me.

The part of the quote that I red-bolded is what could be called a "clue."

Seems to me that ten miles square is an awfully big chunk of land to set aside for a small, limited government. How many cities at that time were smaller than that? Not just in Framing-era America, but in Europe as well?

Smurfologist

imported post

soloban wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
[SNIP]
[/SNIP]
+1. The DC City Council makes the laws for DC (Home Rule Act of 1973).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_Home_Rule_Act

That said, they more or less do so at the pleasure of the Congress. Congress retains the right to "exercise exclusive legislation" over DC as they see fit. (US Constitution, Article 1, Section 8). Sometimes just the threat of Federal Legislation is enough to get the DC City Council to have a change of mind. If you want to watch a spirited debate on CSPAN watch the Delegate from DC (Elanor Holmes) anytime the House Debates Federal Legislation directed at the District. I would hate to be on her bad list...:uhoh:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_States_of_America#Section_8

"To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be...."

Even more corrupt than the city of Chicago?!?

2nd Amendment.........Use it..........Or, lose it!!:X