• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Here from SoCal :)

KandyRedCoi

imported post

My name is Coi from SoCal greater LA area, recently stumbled upon this website from another GUN forum and i liked what i saw and read, so i went ahead and registered and will probably have a lot of questions to ask all you fine folks !

I think there are many good things to come from open carry besides the obvious...and since its SO SO SO hard to get a CCW over here then this is our next best thing :)

KandyRedCoi

imported post

can anyone please clarify to me what types of places are considered gun free zones

as of now i know K-12 schools have a 1000ft rule...but what other places require this same rule?

thanx!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

KandyRedCoi wrote:
can anyone please clarify to me what types of places are considered gun free zones

as of now i know K-12 schools have a 1000ft rule...but what other places require this same rule?

thanx!
no other 1,000 foot 'gun free zones' exist, to my knowledge.

Also, keep in mind the statute is only being violated if you know or reasonably should have known that you were in a 'school zone.'

KandyRedCoi

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
KandyRedCoi wrote:

thanx!
no other 1,000 foot 'gun free zones' exist, to my knowledge.

Also, keep in mind the statute is only being violated if you know or reasonably should have known that you were in a 'school zone.'

what if you happen to drive by a school zone?

also since there are no other 1000ft zones besides schools, in general what other places are gun free zones? what is described to be public/government buildings and such?

i also saw that a US Postal office is a gun free zone...question is...what about those mailbox etc. places where people get their PO box, ship stuff out, 3rd party MAIL service businesses?

thanx everyone!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

KandyRedCoi wrote:
what if you happen to drive by a school zone?

Lock it up immediately. At all times while driving while carrying I suggest keeping your lock box easily accessible in the front seat.

also since there are no other 1000ft zones besides schools, in general what other places are gun free zones? what is described to be public/government buildings and such?

IIRC, the wording is, any building where government employees regularly work.

i also saw that a US Postal office is a gun free zone...question is...what about those mailbox etc. places where people get their PO box, ship stuff out, 3rd party MAIL service businesses?

The post office is a federal building, private companies usually won't be renting space in a federal building, so shouldn't be a problem there.

thanx everyone!

KandyRedCoi

imported post

ok sounds good, sorry for all the noob questions, just need to get as much info as i can before i jump into UOC

anyone have any UOC experience in riverside county they would like to share???

im sure ill have more questions, when the come up ill be sure to post it here and ask

thanx!!!

chrsjhnsn

imported post

I suggest you DO NOT UOC! UNLESS you have a minimum
of 5000$ for a good defense and lawyer, and a gun you do not mind losing and never getting back.
There is the law and there is whats practical, the guys recently in San Diego
are well organized and very well prepared.
After we win the Nordyke case things will be better.
www.calguns.net
We need to be smart about UOC do it wrong and you can ruin it with bad case law and undo a lot of good work.
We should have an answer on Nordyke by the summer.
going it alone and underprepared can lead to a world of hurt, for you and the cause

KandyRedCoi

imported post

i agree...keep us posted, was NOT planning on UOC anytime soon :)

hence why im asking tons of questions :D