• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Shops

JBinMontana

imported post

This was reported on Glock Talk so this is being passed to you from there. He lives in the greater metro area of Atlanta, Ga

Story Link

Hey hey, what do you know, I finally have something worth reporting.

I visited a Bass Pro Shop today. I have openly carried to this particular store at least four times previous, probably more like six times previous, and have even interacted with multiple employees before.

This is a first, for me: When I entered:

Employee: Do you have a license for that? [motions at gun on hip]

Me: Yes.

Employee: Can I see it?

Me: I prefer not to show anything to anybody othe than law enforcement.

Employee: To paraphrase: Our policy requires us to see the license if you want to carry it openly. I decided it was reasonable and quickly showed him the license, he looked at the expiration date very quickly, said thank you, and on I went, with a smile.

I noticed he then got on the phone for an extended conversation.

A short time later I was approached by a regular looking guy in jeans and a T-shirt who identified himself as loss prevention and asked if I had a badge for that. I said no. He said that a Georgia concealed weapons permit, which is what it sounded like I had, allowed concealed.....I broke in and explained the whole "it's not a concealed...it's a GFL..open or concealed is legal....in GA open carry is legal..." to which he responded with the store policy angle. I could cover the weapon or they could put a trigger lock on it. Those were the options I was given. I said "Then I will just leave." And turned around and started to walk to the front of the store. There was another customer, a man in his 50's maybe, who approached both of us, asked if it was what he thought it was (more or less) and said that he thought it was crap, and he talked to XYZ person about it, and that it wasn't a concealed license he had one he knew the laws I was perfectly legal so it would have to be a store policy, etc...

I stoppd at customer service on the way out and they called the manager down. I asked him what the policy was (and I asked about the loss prevention guy as he never showed ID and I never asked, he verified he worked there and was within his power), he says the policy is what I was told.....cover it up or put a trigger lock on. I told him how many other times I had openly carried there and the manager stated that he was shocked beause they were not doing their job all those times everybody ignored the gun. He apologized for the inconvenience but that was their policy and as a private business they had that right. I agreed, they certainly did, and now that I knew I would be leaving and not returning (they are usually over priced anyway).

My dad and brother are visiting from Indiana, they never seem to be able to believe that I openly carry everywhere, all the time, adn nobody ever says anything. I told them they are bad luck, this is the first and thus far only time any employee (or LEO) has ever asked or said anything. Go figure.

So no more Bass Pro Shops for me.

smn

imported post

I'm unsure as to their policy but I've OC'd a few times at the gun desk while discussing OC and CC with a reserve sheriff deputy (or similar LEO) working the counter and was never told to conceal or offered to put a trigger lock on it.

smash29

imported post

I'd be interested to hear the final word on this,I was just there a few weeks ago but the sweatshirt I was wearing covered my Glock.

GuessI'll have to try harderwhen (if) I go back.

rustygray

imported post

I am often amazed at the response to firearms carried by people without badges or uniforms.

As if the badge or uniform imparts some uniquely gifted characteristics that are apparently missing int he rest of us.

I for one, believe I practice more than most LEOs. I practice drawing, shooting, reloading, safety procedures, until I can do them cleanly. In an adrenaline dump situation you will only be able to do what your muscles remember.

I am not saying LEOs are not trained, I am saying that there are civilians that train as often or more and are just as capable in a conflict situation as local LEOs.

I have found that by avoiding places that do not want me to carry my weapon, I save money.

I vote with my dollars. Bass Pro lost my vote. Academy Sports and Dicks, get my votes until some liberal mindless drivel spouting non meat eater accosts me about my firearm.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The employee was mistaken.

Bass Pro's corporate policy is that they follow the laws of the state. In Va, open carry and concealed carry are both legal. The sign that discusses checking your guns and locking them is intended for guns that are carried in a case for whatever reason, not a handgun that you carry on your person for self-defense.

Taken from another OCDO thread, butthe same applies in Va.- http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16542&forum_id=65&highlight=bass+pro+nevada

My name is Steve Kuhn. I am the Director of Loss Prevention for [highlight= #ffff88]Bass [highlight= #88ffff]Pro Shops. The policy concerning concealed carry and open carry are the same. Both methods of carrying a firearm in our stores is permitted as long as it is lawful. In the case of [highlight= #88ff88]Nevada both are andchecking your firearm is not required. I have contacted the Loss Prevention Manager in the Vegas store about this situation and he has assured me that he will personally make sure allDoor Greeters are properly trained and know that open carry is lawful and does not require the firearm to be checked. If youfind a problem there again please feel free to send me an e-mail or call my office directly. My direct number is 417 873-4796.

DUTCH UNCLE:

This is quoted from a recent post in the VA section of the forum, and was excerpted from the NV forum. It seems a lot of Bass Pro managers and employees make up their own "policy" as they go along. I have printed out the above letter from Mr Kuhn, and keep it in my car. It now goes with me any time I go to Bass Pro (where I have OC'd in the past with little difficulty). If anyone gives me any BS, I will give them Kuhn's name and number, my cell number and tell them they can call me back if they wish. I will then go about my business shopping in the store, while legally carrying.