• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VIDEO: 2 LEO's Pull Guns on OC driver Durring Traffict Stop

Sheriff

imported post

I just don't know what's up with all this foul language lately. Why do rookies now feel this is necessary?

Quite the opposite was taught in the police academy I attended. :banghead:

Legba

imported post

"I'll blow your [expletive]head off" is a bit beyond gratuitous profanity.

-ljp

mkl

imported post

SteveInAshand wrote:
The driver was wearing your typical baggie "gangsta" Tshirt thus giving OC carry a bad representative and bad name.

I don't see anything wrong with his tshirt.

danbus

imported post

PaulBlart wrote:
Sheriff wrote:
I just don't know what's up with all this foul language lately. Why do rookies now feel this is necessary?

Quite the opposite was taught in the police academy I attended. :banghead:
It helps us take control of the situation. It asserts our power and authority. MOTHER @#$%ER

Even though I'm not a LEO, I work in security in which I had to act in a LEO capacity. Shouting profanities isn't used to assert power and authority. If/when I shout and use profanity it's to send a clear message that a suspect needs to comply with my orders.

Furthermore, that statement at the end was unnecessary.

Phssthpok

imported post

danbus wrote:
Shouting profanities isn't used to assert power and authority. If/when I shout and use profanity it's to send a clear message that a suspect needs to comply with my orders.

Danbus, I have the utmost respect for you, but I just CAN'T, for the life of me, reconcile these two statements.

By issuing 'orders' you are in fact 'asserting authority', otherwise you would have no basis upon which to issue such 'orders'. If you don't have the 'authority' to 'order' a suspect, then said suspect does not 'need' to 'comply'.

Get what I'm saying?;)

Tawnos

imported post

The cops in that video are despicable. "Tylenol is a narcotic, which is probable cause for me to search your truck."

If that were true, then why would he be asking? Then threatening the motorist regarding "I would have blown your brains out" and such.

Sickening, and the "apology letter" is more a CYA letter than anything else. If those officers are anything short from disbadged and removed from payroll, the administrative actions were not enough.

Consider: a normal person threatening to blow someone's f'ing brains out would constitute assault with a deadly weapon.

spawnbringer

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
...Consider: a normal person threatening to blow someone's f'ing brains out would constitute assault with a deadly weapon.
Absolutely! :cuss:

Why are we, (the law abiding citizen) held to higher standards then our public servants? We would be in jail and our right to carryrevoked for such misbehavior.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This one is not as easy to call as it might seem.

I agree that the language is over the top and these guys should be looked at for that. I assume Glynn County is in Ga. So I looked at Ga code but could not find a requirement to notify if stopped by a LEO. But it is possible that the LEO in the video is correct and that the guy did not notify them per GA code that he had a side arm.

So in effect the LEOs were surprised, at night, to discover that the guy in the truck was armed. That might be why they drew on him. If there is a requirement to notify and the guy didn't then they were justified to cover him, until they could clear the situation. Perhaps Mike or the Ga state researcher will chime in on this.

SteveInAshand

imported post

This is America and we can dress as clean cut or gangsta as we want, ok, but his shirt is the typical copy of the style popularized by hoodlums in order to carry a sawed off.

His ultra large Tshirt is what a gangsta wears not a middle class working man or family man.

In fact his stupidity at not letting the cop;s know he was strapped was a sign he is a bit stupid. Top me it does not matter if its the law or not.

On a dark lonely road a traffic stop is ultra dangerous for cop's and I would expect them to be already "on edge" and I would want them to know right away that I am a good guy at least that I am no instinctual threat, and one way is to roll down the windows before they walk up, keep my hands on the wheel , have my license and papers already out in the dash and immediately tell them I am OC or CC.

I dont care whether I do or do not have to tell them if I am armed, I do anyways.

In fact I have been un-lawfully armed in the far past both on my person CC and Car CC and I have only 1 time out of about 5 had my gun impounded and that was by 1 of a 2 officer partner team, the 2nd officer was against taking my pistol , the impouding officer was a woman who just did not like me period so I felt it was a personal thing over a law thing.

So 4 out of 5 times down in San Diego CA in the very late 80's and 90's during the crack shooting wars in east San Diego in the bad neighborhoods I lived in I was stopped as many times and always let go with my loaded guns in tact.

What I noticed was 1) I am white,( fact of life it helps), 2) I am very articulate, 3) I am clean cut , 4) I drive clean vehicles, and some ancillary things are that I am pro cop and was a Paramedic who kept a scanner and jumped in the fray to help cops when ever I could that does not mean they knew me because they would rotate in and out of the eastern division often, in any even they are smart men & women with ultra quick instincts for knowing a god guy vs a bad guy.

The point is it pays to look like a good guy and not like M&M or some other hip hop slacker wit an attitude.

Sure its his right to wear a dam pink diaper in public if he wants to, but we are members of a movement and like the Marine Core you are part of the greater whole, when you join forces in unison as an OC man you are a lead representative of a minority activist & rights group representing the majority you must know that people judge you immediately why what you wear and how to comport yourself.

mkl

imported post

SteveInAshand wrote:
His ultra large Tshirt is what a gangsta wears not a middle class working man or family man.
In fact his stupidity at not letting the cop;s know he was  strapped was a sign he is a bit  stupid.  Top me it does not matter if its the law or not.
The point is it pays to look like a good guy and not like M&M or  some other  hip hop slacker.

I wear tshirts, I am a middle class family man. The cops should not harass people for legal actions regardless of dress. I understand making a good impression, but this guy was just driving his truck, we can't all always be at the height of what you think is fashionable.

This particular guy already has a history of being harassed for OCing. I believe he was arrested earlier for not producing id ( http://waronguns.blogspot.com/2008/12/wheres-reasonable-suspicion-of-crime.html )

At least one of those officers have a history of harassing OCers in that area.

The guy in the video's brother (I believe) posted this thread on this site:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum18/11678.html
and it involved the same officer, different incident.

You can follow the threads like:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22900&highlight=glynn

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/500103904/m/2291016833/p/1

for more information.

Deanimator

imported post

SteveInAshand wrote:
In fact his stupidity at not letting the cop;s know he was strapped was a sign he is a bit stupid. Top me it does not matter if its the law or not.

So what you're saying is that you should be forced to do things NOT required by law? And that you should be threatened with death if you don't?

I'll bet the law didn't require the guy to wash the cop's personally owned vehicle either. Should he be held at gunpoint if he won't do THAT?

Carnivore

imported post

From April tillOctober all I ever wear is "T" shirts, sleeved and sleevless,and blue jeans or denim shorts, that is my work attire 7 days a week.. First impressions are very important to me, and they work both ways..

I would definitely have told the officer that I was armed, but after that, there won't be any brow beatin going on from either side of the Badge. If anyone confronts me looking for a Horses ass, I've got one "0 to 100" in seconds flat!!

Deanimator

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
From April tillOctober all I ever wear is "T" shirts, sleeved and sleevless,and blue jeans or denim shorts, that is my work attire 7 days a week.. First impressions are very important to me, and they work both ways..

I would definitely have told the officer that I was armed, but after that, there won't be any brow beatin going on from either side of the Badge. If anyone confronts me looking for a Horses ass, I've got one "0 to 100" in seconds flat!!

In Ohio, we HAVE to notify, so it's not an issue.

But don't have any illusions that notifying when you don't have to won't cause you every bit as much trouble. There's a long story on the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) website about a guy from North Carolina who was falsely arrested by Fairfax, VA copsfor a variety of IMAGINARY offenses because he notified when he didn't need to.

I'm for obeying the law. If I don't, the cop will make my life miserable. If the cop doesn't, I guarantee you I'll return the favor.

Dom

imported post

Interesting, I've heard this before. I've had municipal police here tell me I was stupid for OCing, despite being quite legal. When I asserted the legality, it didn't matter to the cops if it was the law or not...it was stupid in their minds. Fortunately, none have threatened to blow my brains out because I OC.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dom wrote:
I've had municipal police here tell me I was stupid for OCing, despite being quite legal. When I asserted the legality, it didn't matter to the cops if it was the law or not...it was stupid in their minds. SNIP...
Did you ask them why they do it if it is so stupid? I would love to hear their answer.

shad0wfax

imported post

Dom wrote:
Interesting, I've heard this before. I've had municipal police here tell me I was stupid for OCing, despite being quite legal. When I asserted the legality, it didn't matter to the cops if it was the law or not...it was stupid in their minds. Fortunately, none have threatened to blow my brains out because I OC.

My first question to them would be, "If Open-Carry is so stupid, why do all Law Enforcement Officers Open-Carry with their duty holsters? Why aren't all the LEO's concealing?"

SteveInAshand

imported post

No that is not what I am saying, I dont notify LEO's out of fear.

I am here in full OC in an 80% liberal 10% normal town when I don't even need to OC as I am a CC holder.

I am as bold as you please.

I don't feel coerced or trained in any way to tell a LEO if I am CC or unnoticed OC.

What I do is I look at it through the eyes of a cop who is walking up on me a total stranger in the dark on a lonely road and so I am gonna help this guy and help myself at the same time.

The only "law" I care about is the moral law written on my heart , every other law made by man must be reviewed by my inner supreme court. ;)