• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get on the PHONE - NOW - to oppose Holder nomination!

spy1

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/01/28/holder-wins-approval-senate-committee/

Holder Wins Approval From Senate Committee
The Senate Judiciary Committee recommends the full Senate confirm Eric Holder as the next attorney general.

Eric Holder was approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee Wednesday to be the next attorney general, after Republicans put up resistance over Holder's past positions on pardons and views on torture.

The committee voted 17-2 in favor of Holder, recommending approval to the full Senate.

A significant number of Republicans are expected to support his nomination, and Holder could win confirmation by the full Senate as early as Thursday.

The only senator who voted against Holder was Republican Sen. John Cornyn. He criticized Holder's role in controversial pardons and questioned whether he would protect U.S. intelligence agents who participated in harsh interrogations."

============================

You have less than 24-hours to CALL/FAX your OWN Senators and tell them that you OPPOSE Holders' confirmation.

spy1

imported post

The confirmation vote on Holder is probably going to take place MONDAY, Feb. 2, 2009 in the SENATE.

Let me put it succinctly:

If you do not use every available means at your disposal between now and Monday to defeat Holders' nomination, then you are not only GUARANTEEING his confirmation - you are aiding and abetting it!

One more time - FAX (and, yes, their FAX lines are open on the weekend!) or PHONE (Monday morning) your State Senators ( yes, BOTH of them!) with this simple message - "VOTE "NO!" on the HOLDER CONFIRMATION - I will be watching how you vote."

You have absolutely no excuse not to do this - and every reason to do it.

We have got to hammer the system to death trying to make it work for us before giving up on it.

Have a great weekend. Pete

*Find your Senators' contact info here: http://www.theorator.com/senate.html

2a4all

imported post

Listening to the Senate debate (C-SPAN) of Holder's nomination. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt), chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and (by his own admission) an owner of many guns, chided senators from both PA & OK for their states' restrictive gun laws, and said he had Holder's assurances that Vt's non-existant gun laws wouldn't be in jeopardy. Sen Leahy apparently doesn't feel threatened by Holder as AG, and might serve to hold him accountable for any bad decisions he (Holder) might make.

TFred

imported post

2a4all wrote:
Listening to the Senate debate (C-SPAN) of Holder's nomination. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt), chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, and (by his own admission) an owner of many guns, chided senators from both PA & OK for their states' restrictive gun laws, and said he had Holder's assurances that Vt's non-existant gun laws wouldn't be in jeopardy. Sen Leahy apparently doesn't feel threatened by Holder as AG, and might serve to hold him accountable for any bad decisions he (Holder) might make.
That's just the problem! Accountable how? Once he's in, all they can do is say "that's a bad, bad AG, don't do that any more...". He can do all sorts of bad things that aren't "quite bad enough" to motivate legislative correction. And even then, it would have to get past Obama, not likely.

I'm afraid all these tax cheats are taking the spotlight away from what will certainly be the worst Attorney General in the history of the United States.

TFred

2a4all

imported post

TFred wrote:
2a4all wrote:
That's just the problem! Accountable how? Once he's in, all they can do is say "that's a bad, bad AG, don't do that any more...". He can do all sorts of bad things that aren't "quite bad enough" to motivate legislative correction. And even then, it would have to get past Obama, not likely.

I'm afraid all these tax cheats are taking the spotlight away from what will certainly be the worst Attorney General in the history of the United States.

TFred
I don't see Leahy voting for an AWB, and he has enough clout to keep it from happening, in spite of Dianne (she's on now, extolling Eric's credentials), Nancy & Barrack. They got rid of Gonzales. It can be done.

suntzu

imported post

Take a good long look at the Bill of Rights because everything we as Americans hold dear is about to be forever changed.

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights stands or falls together...

spy1

imported post

I would like to thank every single person here that phoned/FAX'ed/emailed their Senators about this. Your effort was deeply appreciated by me.

I would also like to address those of you who did NOT contact your Senator(s) on this issue, whether because of dis-interest, fear, or the idea that "your" voice wouldn't matter.

This is exactly what happens - and will continue to happen - to us when you do not speak out at every opportunity, with every means available to you.

The "Assault Weapon" ban is coming next - along with tremendous powers built in to let the new A.G. (that this silent majority of gun owners just allowed to be confirmed) further expand it.

Are you still going to remain silent then?

Because you are guaranteeing our defeat at every turn and helping to BURY what's left of the Second Amendment if you do.

If you needed any clearer indication of the effect of your non-participation - you just got it with the Holder confirmation.

Do NOT let these dark times get any darker, people. Pete