• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get on the PHONE - NOW - to oppose Holder nomination!

spy1

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...orney-general/

"Holder On Track for Confirmation as Attorney General

Eric Holder appears headed for confirmation as attorney general after declaring a new course in U.S. counterterrorism policy, but a Senate panel still wants to hear more about his decisions as a Clinton administration Justice Department official.

A second day of confirmation hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Friday was to feature former FBI Director Louis Freeh, who supports Holder despite some past disagreements with him during the Clinton years.

Also set to speak on Holder's behalf was Frances Townsend, a former homeland security adviser to President Bush.

That sort of bipartisan support was evident throughout Holder's testimony Thursday, even as he declared a major break from Bush administration policy toward terror suspects. He also pledged to restore morale at a Justice Department mired in tales of political interference."

Have YOU PHONED and/or FAX'ed your Senators yet?

Are you truly going to just let this slide? Pete

spy1

imported post

Thank you! (Was starting to think no one was listening).

Can we get some more?

And perhaps try to get our friends/neighbors/family involved? Send an alert about this to everyone on our email lists?

Does everyone realize what a victory it could be for us if we got the Holder nomination killed? What kind of message it would send the anti-gunners'? Pete

TFred

imported post

In composing a letter to my two Senators tonight, I decided to look up the amicus brief that Holder signed in support of DC in the Heller case. I just wanted to see it for myself before mentioning it in my letters.

You can read it here.

Their primary argument is very clearly stated on Page 5 (page 16 of the pdf):

The Second Amendment Does Not Protect Firearms Possession or Use That Is Unrelated To Participation In A Well-Regulated Militia.
Holder must be rejected.

TFred

ETA: Page number

JBURGII

imported post

Contacted mine this morning.. both mine here in Oregon.. dems.. sigh..

TFred

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
Contacted mine this morning.. both mine here in Oregon.. dems.. sigh..
Both of mine in Virginia are Democrats too... But they both ran on moderate platforms, and both claimed to be at least gun neutral, if not gun friendly. I am politely reminding them of this, and imploring them to keep their promise to the voters, as clearly, Holder's views are not in line with their campaign platforms.

TFred

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are plenty of reasons why Democrats should oppose the Holder appointment.

If your Senators are Democrats, you can tell them that Holder represents Obama's betrayal of his promise to curb the War on Drugs and Federal nonrecognition of state medical marijuana laws, and Democratic Senators opposing him will send a strong message that the people do not approve of Obama's disingenuousness on the issue (one which just so happens to be of national crisis proportions, and is a contributing drag on our economy, which is itself supposed to be an "important issue").

Holder favors mandatory minimum sentences (which anybody who values the Constitutional jury trial should oppose). Many Democrats oppose MMS.

I do not plan to mention the Second Amendment in my calls and letters to Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I contacted them but my senators are McCaskill (who has her head so far up Obama's butt that she knows more about his colon than Congress) and Bond, who has not responded in any way, shape or form to numerous letters and emails over more than 4 years. He usually goes with the GOP leadership and since they seem inclined to rubber stamp every Obama nominee and being that he has announced his retirement at the end of this term I expect that voter input will have little effect, but I tried.

spy1

imported post

The Senate Judiciary Committee has forced by the Republicans to put off the vote on the Eric Holder nomination until next Wednesday, January 28th.

It behooves you to go ahead and contact the Judiciary Committee here:

Majority Office
Phone:202-224-7703
Fax:202-224-9516

Minority Office
Phone:202-224-5225
Fax:202-224-9102

via either phone call or FAX to let your opposition to the Holder nomination for A.G. be known in no un-certain terms.

(I had already done so prior to this - I did it AGAIN this afternoon).

Perhaps if we can shut down their phone/fax system with calls in opposition to the nomination, they might get the point - if NOT, at least it should serve to put them on notice that we're not ASLEEP out here.

PLEASE MAKE THE CALL/SEND THE FAX! Pete

TFred

imported post

spy1 wrote:
The Senate Judiciary Committee has forced by the Republicans to put off the vote on the Eric Holder nomination until next Wednesday, January 28th.

It behooves you to go ahead and contact the Judiciary Committee here:

Majority Office
Phone:202-224-7703
Fax:202-224-9516

Minority Office
Phone:202-224-5225
Fax:202-224-9102

via either phone call or FAX to let your opposition to the Holder nomination for A.G. be known in no un-certain terms.

(I had already done so prior to this - I did it AGAIN this afternoon).

Perhaps if we can shut down their phone/fax system with calls in opposition to the nomination, they might get the point - if NOT, at least it should serve to put them on notice that we're not ASLEEP out here.

PLEASE MAKE THE CALL/SEND THE FAX! Pete
I dropped a couple of hard copy letters via snail mail to my two Virginia Senators yesterday. I briefly pointed out that they both won their elections by running as moderate Democrats, and Eric Holder doesn't even come close to representing what the moderate citizens of Virginia would want for an AG.

Not much hope, but I had to do something. I did also alert a friend of mine who lives in Alabama. One of his Senators is on the Committee, and I believe he made a contact of some sort.

TFred

n5yzv

imported post

Ok, I get the idea we don't want him in. So in 100,000 words or less, why? Ok, ok, so I have been living under a rock.

Actually, I have been spending most of my time reloading. :)

Mark

TFred

imported post

n5yzv wrote:
Ok, I get the idea we don't want him in. So in 100,000 words or less, why? Ok, ok, so I have been living under a rock.

Actually, I have been spending most of my time reloading. :)

Mark
For me in two short blurbs, he signed on to an amicus brief to the Supreme Court in the Heller case that stated the Second Amendment did not apply to individual firearm ownership, and he opposes anything beyond "pretty please with a cherry on top" when it comes to interrogating captured terrorists. It's been said many times that our intelligence officers will have more to fear from him, including fierce prosecution and jail, than will the enemies of our country and those who would destroy our very way of life.

TFred

ETFix: spell much?

n5yzv

imported post

Wow. Now here is the hard one.
Can anyone explain how a bozo like this can even get to this status in the first place???? What a joke!