• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Classroom Robbery

Armed4Life

imported post

I guess they forgot to post their "Gun Free Zone" signs at the classroom door.

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=9680368

(Memphis 1/15/2009) LeMoyne Owen College is on lockdown after a robbery during class. A student tells us a man with a wig walked into a class on campus with a gun and demanded purses and wallets. A professor was made to get down on the floor during the robbery. It's not clear at this time if anyone was hurt.

shad0wfax

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:

(Memphis 1/15/2009) LeMoyne Owen College is on lockdown after a robbery during class. A student tells us a man with a wig walked into a class on campus with a gun and demanded purses and wallets. A professor was made to get down on the floor during the robbery. It's not clear at this time if anyone was hurt.
I bet stunts like that don't work very well in UTAH!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Geeeze you guys, you missed the best part and that should have been in the description field.

http://commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jan/15/students-robbed-inside-classroom-lemoyne-owen-coll/

An intruder terrorized an English class at LeMoyne-Owen College on Thursday morning, bursting in with a gun and demanding purses and wallets from 18 students and their instructor.

The gunman escaped with jewelry and cash after about 10 minutes in Steele Hall on the South Memphis campus.

No shots were fired and nobody was hurt, but one student was hospitalized for an undisclosed medical problem.

Late Thursday, police were still looking for a 25- to 30-year-old black man, about 5-feet-8 to 6-feet tall with a slim build.

He wore a black leather jacket, blue jeans, white sneakers and possibly a wig. Investigators didn't know if he was a student.

College officials alerted students of the robbery by text message and put the school on lockdown while police searched for the suspect.

LeMoyne-Owen president Johnnie B. Watson assured the community that the campus is safe.

"The incident is over, and we don't feel there is imminent danger," Watson said at a news conference Thursday afternoon. "We have every reason to believe the culprit will be arrested."

The robbery occurred in the second-story classroom just after 11:06 a.m.; the suspect also confronted a second teacher who entered the room during the robbery.
School officials provided police with surveillance video of the suspect.

The college is partially encircled by a low fence, but the campus is easily accessible to students and others, said Watson.

"Most college campuses in the inner city don't have the luxury of being sheltered from their community," he said. "If people want to enter a campus, regardless of the height of the fence, they're going to enter that campus."

Two to three security officers are on duty at all times, Watson said, but he couldn't say where they were during the robbery.

Watson said he planned to meet with security officials in hopes of improving campus safety.

Afterwards, college officials granted investigators full access to the campus and remaining classes were canceled. Classes will resume today.

LeMoyne-Owen is in a South Memphis neighborhood that has been revitalized in recent years with the demolition of public housing and construction of a mixed-income community.

The college has about 700 students enrolled.

-- Hank Dudding: 529-2565

buster81

imported post

"Most college campuses in the inner city don't have the luxury of being sheltered from their community," he said. "If people want to enter a campus, regardless of the height of the fence, they're going to enter that campus."
Tell this to the Brady Bunch.
Two to three security officers are on duty at all times, Watson said, but he couldn't say where they were during the robbery.
How can they keep you safe if they aren't where the robbery is?

neddis

imported post

Didn't that guy know it was a "Gun Free Zone"? I mean seriously, there had to have been a sign. I can't believe he just went in there anyway.

ProguninTN

imported post

neddis wrote:
Didn't that guy know it was a "Gun Free Zone"? I mean seriously, there had to have been a sign. I can't believe he just went in there anyway.
Colleges don't always have the sign, but they are nonetheless off-limits here in TN. Maybe we'll get college carry, someday. :(

suntzu

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:

This is EXACTLY why we should have right to carry a gun on campus......

I hate it when we are made the victims by an uncaring government.

darthmord

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Watson said he planned to meet with security officials in hopes of improving campus safety.

Then how about pursuing OC/CC on campus by students, faculty, staff, and visitors?

Once word gets out the people at the college aren't victims, the bad guys will either try and fail or move to easier feeding grounds.

2a4all

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Then how about pursuing OC/CC on campus by students, faculty, staff, and visitors?

Once word gets out the people at the college aren't victims, the bad guys will either try and fail or move to easier feeding grounds.
Visitors can already OC/CC in Virginia (with few exceptions).