Thread: Hiding Guns

Post imported post

As hard as some of us fight to uphold the Constitution, there are others that fight just as hard to undermine it. The 2nd Amendment is always at the top of their attack list. With the current composition of the three branches of government being so far to the left now, I have been contemplating the "what if?" scenarios.

If a day came when private firearm ownership was illegal, what would be the best way to hide firearms and ammunition?

Some considerations that I have had:

1. I have an unfinished basement. It would be easy to conceal weapons behind drywall. Would dogs be able to be used to find hidden firearms?

2. Burying weapons - How would you protect against moisture?

3. Attic space - I have quite a bit of blown insulation in a large attic. It would be impossible to get dogs up there and extremely difficult to manually search. Would this be a good option?

I don't want to come off as being an alarmist. I just like to be prepared. That is why I have a years supply of food that I hope I never need to rely on.
    Fear causes hesitation; hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true.
    - The Bodasafa

www.mp-pistol.com

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Don't bother. When it is time to hide 'em then its really time to dig 'em up.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Wow, I'm actually on board with Mr. Huffman today.

I don't ever plan on burying my guns. No way, No How.

Banned

Post imported post

To hide a needle one needs a haystack of needles. Until the past decade it was the Island way to bury any trash that couldn't be burned. A hundred yards north of my house there are many old plows and tractor parts buried. That's where I'd put my needle.

To keep it from rusting I put it in nesting sections of plastic pipe. The inner one containing my needle and a can of dehumidifier - silica gel. This one should be carefully sealed. The outer section of pipe should also be carefully sealed so that the void between can collect any water that might seep in.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Don't bother.┬* When it is time to hide 'em then its really time to dig 'em up.
    This sounds good in theory, but many times a tactical retreat to regroup is better than launching an assault against an enemy with overwhelming forces. I could not personally hold off a force of 5-10 armed assailants with body armor that were intent on confiscating weapons. The only way to combat an oppressive government would be with an organized militia. I doubt I would be of much good to said militia if I were in jail or dead.
    - The Bodasafa

www.mp-pistol.com

Post imported post

Brimstone wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    This sounds good in theory, but many times a tactical retreat to regroup is better than launching an assault against an enemy with overwhelming forces. I could not personally hold off a force of 5-10 armed assailants with body armor that were intent on confiscating weapons. The only way to combat an oppressive government would be with an organized militia. I doubt I would be of much good to said militia if I were in jail or dead.
    That's IF they don't already KNOW what you have.

If they do, you'll either produce it, or go to jail anyway.

Banned

Post imported post

if you must hide them, in furnace ducts would work well

Post imported post

What guns, I lost them all in a boating accident.

Post imported post

If you hide them, keep in mind that metal detectors work very well, unless you are in a junk yard, sounds like Doug has got that one covered.

Post imported post

All of my guns were sold or destroyed years ago.
    - The Bodasafa

www.mp-pistol.com

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Brimstone wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

Shooting the first one is very hard. Those that follow get easier and easier.

A well scoped '03 Springfield in .30-06, hits hard, is very accurate, and out to a little over 1000 meters works like a good phone. Reach out and touch someone until they touch you.

"Old age and treachery, will overcome youth and ability." (Anon)

"Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Banned

Post imported post

Wondering who might have first said "Old age...", I found "Alter und T├╝cke besiegen Jugend und K├Ânnen"

Post imported post

Brimstone wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Body armor is useless against a .308, .30-06, 7.62x54R, etc. unless they have a trauma plate. Higher powered rounds such as a .338 Win. Mag loaded with FMJ spiter slugs might actually defeat a trauma plate too. Me....I plan to shoot for the groin. A hit will drop 'em to their knees instantly( ), a 'miss' will most likely result in a severed femoral artery, or at the very least a shattered pelvis.

No move-ee.... no fight-ee.

Post imported post

Here's an article by a guy that buried a firearm then dug it up after 15 years.

Bury a gun and ammo for 15 years
    (and be assured everything still works when you dig it up)

By Charles Wood

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html

Post imported post

I'd just put them in my basement. If I can't find anything down there, I don't see how anyone else will.

Post imported post

Guns?....What guns?!

Post imported post

/jedi hand wave

This is not the house you want to search for firearms. You want to go to the donut shop and take the rest of the day off.

Mindless Govvie Rep: This is not the house we want to search for firearms. I think we should go to the donut shop and take the rest of the day off.

:celebrate

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    whoop, there it is.

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

Brimstone wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    headshots. practice lots of headshots.

Post imported post

Knowing what to doifthere is anattempt to steal yourproperty when you are home is the easy part. Preventing your property from being stolen when you are not home takes some additional planning.

Post imported post

lax wrote:
    Here's an article by a guy that buried a firearm then dug it up after 15 years.

Bury a gun and ammo for 15 years
    (and be assured everything still works when you dig it up)

By Charles Wood

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html
    Nice story.
    - The Bodasafa

www.mp-pistol.com

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    I'd just put them in my basement. If I can't find anything down there, I don't see how anyone else will.
    lol, who are you and how did you get into my basement???:?