• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hiding Guns

Brimstone

imported post

As hard as some of us fight to uphold the Constitution, there are others that fight just as hard to undermine it. The 2nd Amendment is always at the top of their attack list. With the current composition of the three branches of government being so far to the left now, I have been contemplating the "what if?" scenarios.

If a day came when private firearm ownership was illegal, what would be the best way to hide firearms and ammunition?

Some considerations that I have had:

1. I have an unfinished basement. It would be easy to conceal weapons behind drywall. Would dogs be able to be used to find hidden firearms?

2. Burying weapons - How would you protect against moisture?

3. Attic space - I have quite a bit of blown insulation in a large attic. It would be impossible to get dogs up there and extremely difficult to manually search. Would this be a good option?

I don't want to come off as being an alarmist. I just like to be prepared. That is why I have a years supply of food that I hope I never need to rely on.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

To hide a needle one needs a haystack of needles. Until the past decade it was the Island way to bury any trash that couldn't be burned. A hundred yards north of my house there are many old plows and tractor parts buried. That's where I'd put my needle.

To keep it from rusting I put it in nesting sections of plastic pipe. The inner one containing my needle and a can of dehumidifier - silica gel. This one should be carefully sealed. The outer section of pipe should also be carefully sealed so that the void between can collect any water that might seep in.

Brimstone

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Don't bother.  When it is time to hide 'em then its really time to dig 'em up.

This sounds good in theory, but many times a tactical retreat to regroup is better than launching an assault against an enemy with overwhelming forces. I could not personally hold off a force of 5-10 armed assailants with body armor that were intent on confiscating weapons. The only way to combat an oppressive government would be with an organized militia. I doubt I would be of much good to said militia if I were in jail or dead.

Dustin

imported post

Brimstone wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Don't bother. When it is time to hide 'em then its really time to dig 'em up.

This sounds good in theory, but many times a tactical retreat to regroup is better than launching an assault against an enemy with overwhelming forces. I could not personally hold off a force of 5-10 armed assailants with body armor that were intent on confiscating weapons. The only way to combat an oppressive government would be with an organized militia. I doubt I would be of much good to said militia if I were in jail or dead.

That's IF they don't already KNOW what you have.

If they do, you'll either produce it, or go to jail anyway. :(

Gordie

imported post

If you hide them, keep in mind that metal detectors work very well, unless you are in a junk yard, sounds like Doug has got that one covered.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Brimstone wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Shooting the first one is very hard. Those that follow get easier and easier.

A well scoped '03 Springfield in .30-06, hits hard, is very accurate, and out to a little over 1000 meters works like a good phone. Reach out and touch someone until they touch you.

"Old age and treachery, will overcome youth and ability." (Anon)

Phssthpok

imported post

Brimstone wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

Body armor is useless against a .308, .30-06, 7.62x54R, etc. unless they have a trauma plate. Higher powered rounds such as a .338 Win. Mag loaded with FMJ spiter slugs might actually defeat a trauma plate too. Me....I plan to shoot for the groin. A hit will drop 'em to their knees instantly( ;) ), a 'miss' will most likely result in a severed femoral artery, or at the very least a shattered pelvis.

No move-ee.... no fight-ee.

darthmord

imported post

/jedi hand wave

This is not the house you want to search for firearms. You want to go to the donut shop and take the rest of the day off.

Mindless Govvie Rep: This is not the house we want to search for firearms. I think we should go to the donut shop and take the rest of the day off.

:celebrate

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Brimstone wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

headshots. practice lots of headshots.

Armed4Life

imported post

Knowing what to doifthere is anattempt to steal yourproperty when you are home is the easy part. Preventing your property from being stolen when you are not home takes some additional planning.