• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Info

RogueWarrior

imported post

The Wife and I will be driving thru Arizona early next month on the way to Vegasand I would like to know if it is OK to have the gun on my hip as we drive thru and what do I need to do if we are pulled over by the police. Thanks in advance

r6-rider

imported post

Yes you can have it on your hip openly, but if i were to get pulled over id make damn sure that the cop could see it and i would inform him immediately because theres been debate whether its considered concealed or not. And if your worried about that you could always put it in the glove box (just has to be in a holster)

edit - is it true you have to be 19 to OC in NM?

usdm419

imported post

I'd suggest leaving it in a holster in the glove box, or just setting it on a seat just to be safe. When driving I leave mine holstered in my glove box.

protector84

imported post

I've never had a problem with this even before I had a CCW permit. Make sure that the holster is on the outside of your shirt so it isn't concealed. Inform the officer right away that you do have a firearm and keep your hands in plain view. You shouldn't have a problem.

AZkopper

imported post

By statute, a gun in a vehicle must be either:

a)in plain sight

b)in a holster anywhere in the car*****see below

c)in a map pocket, center console, or glove box (need not be holstered)

d)in a case, box or other storage device

****holstered on your person would constitute "anywhere in the vehicle", however somewhat recent case law has muddied that, and you take your chances wearing a gun in a vehicle without a CCW. Hopefully the next Leg session will fix that.

Best choice, just put your loaded gun in the center console/glove box.

MITCH

imported post

As AZKOPPER stated "in the glove box". I would only add, if you have your handgun in the glove box, keep your car papers, registration, drivers license, etc. some place else. Not a smart thing to have your gun in the glove box and reach in to get your papers. Your actions could be mis-understood.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Suggest 'wearing it' openly... crossdraw. Not covered by the belt/buckle. And... TUCK YOUR SHIRT TAIL IN!

r6-rider

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
i thought AZ had a "2 step" process where you had to 1. open the glove box, then 2. pull from the holster?

and as mitch said it would be best to keep the papers separate from your firearm. i keep my papers in the center and on occasion, the sidearm in the glove box

Dahwg

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
AZkopper wrote:
i thought AZ had a "2 step" process where you had to 1. open the glove box, then 2. pull from the holster?

and as mitch said it would be best to keep the papers separate from your firearm. i keep my papers in the center and on occasion, the sidearm in the glove box

Two step is not necessary.

F. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in:
a belt holster that is wholly or partially visible,
or carried in a scabbard or case designed for carrying weapons that is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage.

Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in:
  1. 1. a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or
    2. within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

It's pretty clearly an either/or proposition. (I added the numbering for clarity).

TOF

imported post

I don't know what recent case law was discussed earlier. Could someone expand please.

I have lived here since 1940 andbeen carrying guns on my hip, the dash, passenger seat on racks in the back window of my P/U truck etc. since the 50's.

The primary reason for LEO interaction during that time was snow chain or DUI check points. At no time did an officer even comment on the presence of guns although they were clearly visible on numerous occasions.

Even in my early years when receiving speeding tickets no mention of or question regarding possibility of a firearm being present came up.

Arizona has been and I certainly hope continues to be 2A cognizant and gun owner friendly. Equivalent of 2a is incorporated in our State Constitution.

Now that the Nappy one is gone we might become even more gun friendly.

Enjoy your trip.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Jack... I been in/out of AZ since '66 and have NEVER had AZ LEO or a Fed BP/Ranger within AZso much as sneeze about my firearm(s)... on me, in my truck... or anywhere else. It is NOT an issue. Of course they're aware of the presence... That's normal. But... all these other horror stories I read on this forum make me shake my head in dismay.