• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man in VA has gun stolen while he is carrying... Openly...

David.Car

imported post

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/reports2006/073106robNewtonPatton.htm

[align=center]Man robbed in the Centreville area [/align]

[align=center] About 4:10 a.m. Sunday, July 30, officers were called to the area of Newton Patent Drive and Newton Tavern Drive. A 21-year-old Centreville-area man was robbed while walking on Newton Patent Drive. Two suspects approached the victim from behind, and placed a metal object up to the victim’s head. The suspects took the victim’s hand gun which he was openly carrying. The suspect’s then fled the area. The victim was not injured.

The suspects were described as black males wearing dark clothing.

Anyone with information about this incident or these suspects is asked to call Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477) or the police non-emergency number at 703-691-2131.
[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=left]This has been popping up in threads bashing OC on a bunch of gun forums lately... So while it is not new, here it is for people to be aware of.[/align]

PolskiG

imported post

A very brazen robbery, I wonder what kind of holster he had on? Mine needs asensory readingoff my finger prints before unlocking the first of two retention systems.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Its been debunked.

Forum member Bohdi checked into it.

I can't recall the details, but it was never removed from the police website after it was determined to be a false or misrepresented or mis-written report.

You could PM him and askhim for a refresher report on what he found. Thenforward that report when you come acrosssomething on another forum.

Bohdialways seemed a very level-headed, upright kinda guy.

tricityguy

imported post

A very brazen robbery, I wonder what kind of holster he had on? Mine needs asensory readingoff my finger prints before unlocking the first of two retention systems.
Wow - what kind of holster is that??

3/325

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Its been debunked.
Forum member Bohdi checked into it.
I can't recall the details, but it was never removed from the police website after it was determined to be a false or misrepresented or mis-written report.

You could PM him and askhim for a refresher report on what he found. Thenforward that report when you come acrosssomething on another forum.
Bohdialways seemed a very level-headed, upright kinda guy.
And please post it here, too.

Nosrac

imported post

PolskiG wrote:

That wouldn't be for me. Last thing I want to be dependant with my life on is some electric sensoractually reading my print on the first try during a dire situation.

Situational awareness.

PolskiG

imported post

armyhellion13 wrote:
tricityguy wrote:
Seriously....are you a time traveler?
no, its a modified safriland raptor holster

David.Car

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
armyhellion13 wrote:
tricityguy wrote:
And it uses a fingerprint scanner... What happens when the batteries die?

compmanio365

imported post

Working with computers for as long as I have has taught me one thing: When you need it to work, it will usually pick that time to fail. Electronics are especially susceptible to this......I'd keep the electronics away from anything related to my gun, and stick with what works. Biometrics, voice recognition, these are all highly prone to failure......it may work now, or on the range, but will it work in a high stress situation where your hands are sweating and your fingers are shaking? I doubt it.

I'd ditch the biometrics before they get you killed. Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

PolskiG

imported post

David.Car wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
armyhellion13 wrote:
tricityguy wrote:
And it uses a fingerprint scanner... What happens when the batteries die?
then I die or get humorously beat-up "Benny Hill" style w/music and halfnaked british chicks running around.

Dreamer

imported post

OK, I finally heard back fro FFX Co PD on this issue, and got the REAL story in writing (well, email).

This story turned out to be a "false report". Here is the official word from Fairfax Co. PD (I've edited all the "personal" info to "sterilize" the report):

[align=left][/align]
Generally speaking we do not release police incident reports, therefore you will not find an archive on our web site. I was able to locate the case you refer to. A supplement written on July 30, 2006 indicates that the original "victim" who reported the crime was charged with filing a false police report. His name is Xxxxx Xxxxxxx Xxx, 23 of XXXX Xxxxxxx Xxxxx Xxx in Centreville (at the time the supplement was written). I do not know the disposition of the court case, you would need to contact the court for that information. Their contact number is 703-246-2221.

Don Xxxxxxxxx
Fairfax County Police Department
Public Information Office
Web Content Manager
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Direct Line: (703) 246-2253
Office Fax: (703) 246-4253
[align=left]

Now, can we PLEASE dismiss this story as an "urban myth" once and for all?
[/align]

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
MadHatter66 wrote:
Morris wrote:
Two words: situational awareness.

+1000

No doubt this isa BIG one. People, be aware of your surroundings! When I am out and about I always try to keep my sidearm side (right hand) away from people just in case a grab were to be initiated.

The guy did the right thing letting them take the handgun and leave. Especially since he did not know what they put against his head other than it was a metal object.
THE STORY IS FALSE.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
THE STORY IS FALSE.
I suppose I should have scrolled all the way down before responding. The bold type and larger font was not required. I can read the English language when typed in a standard font;)