Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: CMP Garands

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post

    I am very seriously considering adding a CMP Service grade M1 Garand to my small, but growing collection along with some of their surplus ammo. The price for the Garand is pretty hard to beat at $595 with 20 bucks S&H to my front door.

    Does anyone here have any experience with the CMP, good and bad? I would like to hear it. So far I have heard and read nothing but good.

    To make this OC related I had another uneventful day OCing around Pullman and Moscow.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, USA
    Posts
    173

    Post imported post

    The CMP is a fine organization. The correctly grade their rifles so if you are getting a service grade, that is what it will be.

    No fears or concerns with the CMP.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post

    The one thing I am slightly concerned about is the "shootability" of the rifle. I am not against having to put a little work in, but I don't want to have to get myself a new barrel or other parts for it right out of the gates.

  4. #4
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953

    Post imported post

    Vandal wrote:
    The one thing I am slightly concerned about is the "shootability" of the rifle. I am not against having to put a little work in, but I don't want to have to get myself a new barrel or other parts for it right out of the gates.
    From the CMP website:

    Each M1 Garand rifle sold by CMP is an authentic U.S. Government rifle that has been inspected, headspaced, repaired if necessary and test fired for function.
    The M-1 is a well built rifle and even if it has been shot a lot in military service it will keep on working just fine for many years to come. Accuracy will sufffer as the barrel wears and it does have a fussy appetite when it comes to reloaded ammo. Mil-Surp 30-06 works fine but avoid "Uncle Lesters Special Target Load". When I was in ROTC (1961) I qualified with an M-1 that had probably trained several hundred troops before me. It was still pretty accurate out to 250 yards.



    If you do decide to re-barrel at some later date plan on a couple of hundred $$ for a replacement.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blaine, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,315

    Post imported post

    amlevin wrote:
    If you do decide to re-barrel at some later date plan on a couple of hundred $$ for a replacement.
    You can save some money however, by doing the swap job yourself. All you need is a receiver wrench and a barrel vice. There are plenty of people around (myself included) that have those tools. I have swapped out the barrels on several M-14s, and the Garand is functionally identical so it would be an easy job.

  6. #6
    Regular Member John Hardin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington, USA
    Posts
    684

    Post imported post

    heresolong wrote:
    amlevin wrote:
    If you do decide to re-barrel at some later date plan on a couple of hundred $$ for a replacement.
    You can save some money however, by doing the swap job yourself. All you need is a receiver wrench and a barrel vice. There are plenty of people around (myself included) that have those tools. I have swapped out the barrels on several M-14s, and the Garand is functionally identical so it would be an easy job.
    Do you have any idea how difficult it is to convert an M1 to shoot 7.62x51?

  7. #7
    Regular Member shad0wfax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,067

    Post imported post

    John Hardin wrote:
    Do you have any idea how difficult it is to convert an M1 to shoot 7.62x51?
    Why not just buy an M1A? It's probably less costly.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Blaine, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,315

    Post imported post

    John Hardin wrote:
    heresolong wrote:
    amlevin wrote:
    If you do decide to re-barrel at some later date plan on a couple of hundred $$ for a replacement.
    You can save some money however, by doing the swap job yourself. All you need is a receiver wrench and a barrel vice. There are plenty of people around (myself included) that have those tools. I have swapped out the barrels on several M-14s, and the Garand is functionally identical so it would be an easy job.
    Do you have any idea how difficult it is to convert an M1 to shoot 7.62x51?
    Who said anything about converting the cartridge size? They were talking about replacing a shot out barrel.

  9. #9
    Regular Member shad0wfax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,067

    Post imported post

    heresolong wrote:
    Who said anything about converting the cartridge size? They were talking about replacing a shot out barrel.

    Ah, true. I missed that when I replied to the guy talking about going from Garand to .308 Win. Yeah, a barrel swap is easy and relatively inexpensive. You could even order a Krieger barrel if you wanted to get nice stuff for competing with.


  10. #10
    Regular Member shad0wfax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,067

    Post imported post

    Ugh, double post by accident: Delete Me.


  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Vandal wrote:
    The one thing I am slightly concerned about is the "shootability" of the rifle. I am not against having to put a little work in, but I don't want to have to get myself a new barrel or other parts for it right out of the gates.
    A Service Grade rifle will be perfectly shootable. I know more than a few people whose rifles would have been listed as Correct Grade if not for some relatively minor cosmetic wear of the finish and stock. At worst, I think the most you'd have to do is get the barrel recrowned, and even that's very rarely necessary.

    In short, don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll be more than happy. I plan on ordering a Service Grade HRA or maybe an Inland M1 Carbine myself later this year if I can be bothered to gather all the necessary paperwork for CMP eligibility.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post

    As I am sitting here going through the CMP website putting my paperwork together to send in on Tuesday the following hit me. I know that SA means Springfield Armory but what is HRA? Is there any real difference between the two? I am leaning towards the SA for when I pick up a SA M1911 GI.

    I am also planning on picking up some ammo from CMP with my order. Any good or bad experiences with it? I am thinking about picking p some of the Greek made stuff in enbloc clips 192 rds in 24 clips and some of the Lake City made 30-06.

    ETA: I am also going to pick up a Turner Saddlery 1903 leather sling for it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    HRA would be Harrington Richardson Arms. These are all post-WWII production (most of the Service Grade Springfield Armory guns available now are also post-war production, but there might be a few wartime recievers still floating around in there). I've heard that the HRA guns tend to be of slightly higher quality, but the differences should be fairly negligible overall, especially considering the guns are all mixmasters parts-wise anyway.

    As far as the ammo goes, I've only heard good things about the Greek stuff, so it should be worth it for the clips at the very least. Lake City is always quality, of course. No surplus .30-06 is corrosive, so there's nothing like that to worry about.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,026

    Post imported post

    I so desperately want to get a CMP Garand, but I dunno where my birth cert is, and I absolutely REFUSE to join the Negotiate Rights Away in order to gain membership to any 'clubs' in my area just to meet the requirements.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    Post imported post

    Well, the birth certificate thing is solved easily enough, you can just head down to the county courthouse and get a new one printed up.

    As for club membership, if you're a WAC member, that should count. Another very popular option is to join the Garand Collectors Assosciation for $25 a year (they put out a nice quarterly journal, too).

    No NRA requirement for either of those.

  16. #16
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291

    Post imported post

    Phssthpok wrote:
    I so desperately want to get a CMP Garand, but I dunno where my birth cert is, and I absolutely REFUSE to join the Negotiate Rights Away in order to gain membership to any 'clubs' in my area just to meet the requirements.
    Born in WA??
    I had a replacement for my kid in 2 days.
    http://www.vitalchek.com/washington-...l-records.aspx

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    558

    Post imported post

    Phssthpok wrote:
    I so desperately want to get a CMP Garand, but I dunno where my birth cert is, and I absolutely REFUSE to join the Negotiate Rights Away in order to gain membership to any 'clubs' in my area just to meet the requirements.
    I am applying to the Garand Collector's Assoc. to meet the club req. as my DD214 shows a Uncharacterized Medical instead of Honorable. I may still call them about that and see if it works to save me 25 bucks. I try to avoid the NRA whenever possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •