• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Orange County, CA Sheriff Trying to Intimidate Open and Concealed Carriers at Meeting?

Mike

Site Co-Founder

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mike wrote:
Does Calif. law preclude carry at public meetings of govt. bodies?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/large-sheriff-meeting-2282831-security-presence

Large security presence at supervisors meeting sparks complaints
[size=-1]OCRegister - Santa Ana,CA,USA
... numerous individuals representing “the Carrying Concealed Weapons” issues and the “Open Carry Firearms” groups who wished to attend.” Yet a Jan. ...[/size]

Yes, it does.

PC171b makes it a crime to carry in a public building or at a meeting require to be open to the public.

TFred

imported post

Mike wrote:
Does Calif. law preclude carry at public meetings of govt. bodies?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/large-sheriff-meeting-2282831-security-presence
From the quoted article:

A Jan. 8 email sent to supervisors by Lt. Steve Kea before the meeting and obtained by the Orange County Register stated, “I have received information that some of these protesters may attempt to attend the meeting “Open Carrying” unloaded firearms as a symbol of dissent to the Sheriff’s policy.”

Kea’s email pleaded with supervisors to advise any such activists that carrying firearms into the boardroom would not be appropriate.
There is no place for "not appropriate" in this debate. It's either legal or it's not legal, and that means it should be allowed or not allowed. "Appropriate" is a subjective attribute, and nobody has the right to make that call.

TFred

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

THe news item says -

"In an interview, Hillman said three different people were questioned during the meeting. He defended the large scale presence as a middle ground between security and freedom of expression. He welcomed the questioning, he said.
No one was arrested at the meeting and no firearms were confiscated, Hillman confirmed"

So in my view if only THREE people were suspicious enough to questions (read that as detained), and there were NO firearms confiscated (read that as found), then the police presence was excessive. It is one thing to react to a specific articulable threat, and quite another to claim to be reacting to some amorphous threat by filling a public meeting with uniformed, armed police. Moreover there was obviously profiling involved in isolating three people from the crowd to be "questioned".

I think California has the ability to recall elected officials, and I would start the petition on that Sheriff right now.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Maybe next time the open carriers meet outside and protest and the lucky to have permit people carry inside and speak, notiung that they are carrying concealed.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Maybe next time the open carriers meet outside and protest and the lucky to have permit people carry inside and speak, notiung that they are carrying concealed.
Unfortunately there are not enough OC'ers here in California, especially since there is little to no real support for OC'ers here.

People need to know that if they are OC'ing to further the cause then the cause will back them up. If they don't have that then they won't.

We are changing that. Once I am done with my case I am looking to start an OC support organization tasked specifically in raising funds to help defend persons arrested and charged for OC related offenses, and specifically will focus on California.