Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forget the Ruger LCP, check out the Ruger LCR....

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

http://www.ruger.com/LCR/index.html

Caliber: .38 SPL+P
    Capacity: 5 Rounds
    Finish: Matte Black/Target Grey
    Grip: Hogue Tamer w/ Sorborthane Insert
    Barrel Length: 1.875″
    Groove: 6
    Twist: 1:16″ RH
    Overall Length: 6.50″
    Weight: 13.5 oz.
    Front Sight(s): Replaceable, Pinned Ramp Front
    Rear Sight(s): Integral U-Notch

The standard model has a recommended retail price of $525.

What do you guys think? Makes a nice BUG.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

I like it, but since I'm not a revolver person I won't be buying one. But it def looks like a good BUG. I'd like the opportunity to shoot one.

Post imported post

My buddy and I have been trading emails about it. Check out this video: http://shootingsportsblog.com/bulletboy/new-ruger-lcr/

As with any products though, I'd wait about 1.5yrs before getting it. Ruger's last two releases (SR9 and LCP) both had recalls on them. I've been wanting to get an SP101, and I think I still will but this revolver is intriguing in how they're marrying the different materials. I don't mind combat tupperware as I carry an XD too. My buddy is talking about getting this instead of a SW Nightguard.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

IMO - lighter is not necessarily better.

Nice features include pinned front sight so I would think that different height and high viz insert would be easy. Also grip material with insert is interesting.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

No .357?

Yeah, I'm not a revolver person either...but I think someday I could go for a .357 snubbie just for the fun of it.

Post imported post

Shooting a .357 out of something that like would not be enjoyable

Post imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
    No .357?

Yeah, I'm not a revolver person either...but I think someday I could go for a .357 snubbie just for the fun of it.
    Now that is interesting. Your posting only showed what I've made bold before clicking "quote" - then I saw the rest. Wonder why?

Ever shot .357 in an alloy snubby? It ain't fun! Hot .38 in one can be a hand full for some.

Yata hey

PS - some content was delayed - strange - it's there now.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    GWRedDragon wrote:
    No .357?

Now that is interesting. Your posting only showed what I've made bold before clicking "quote" - then I saw the rest. Wonder why?

Ever shot .357 in an alloy snubby? It ain't fun! Hot .38 in one can be a hand full for some.

Yata hey

PS - some content was delayed - strange - it's there now.
    I have a habit of posting unfinished thoughts and then editing in the rest

I've never shot any size .357, but I have shot a relatively short (not snub though) 44mag. I figure it can't be that much worse than that, can it?

Post imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
    I have a habit of posting unfinished thoughts and then editing in the rest

I've never shot any size .357, but I have shot a relatively short (not snub though) 44mag. I figure it can't be that much worse than that, can it?
    Oh yes it can get much worse but not for me again as I've been there and done that.

Shot a friend's (yes I have one) .45 ACP that is literally smaller than a playing card!

They make scandium framed .357s but I cannot imagine one in .44 mag.

No desire to shoot .454 Causal or the like either. One shot water buffalo handguns are just not my thing.

Yata hey

PS - that's why we have the "Preview" tab right next to the little send button.

Post imported post

Looks like a fairly close copy of the S&W 442. I personally wouldn't buy a new S&W with the internal lock, but you can find them without it if you look hard in the right places.

S&W 442

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Looks like a fairly close copy of the S&W 442. I personally wouldn't buy a new S&W with the internal lock, but you can find them without it if you look hard in the right places.

S&W 442

TFred
    I personally wouldn't buy a S&W period. See http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html#...&%20Wesson

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

S&W 442

TFred
    I've heard that the internal lock on the SW have actually locked themselves. That's kind of a scary thought...

Post imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
    No .357?

If you do, go with an SP101. Can't go wrong with one of those.

And depending on the gun, .357mag can be a handfull with full-power loads.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Looks like a fairly close copy of the S&W 442.
    Well, except for the shape, the extensive fluting, the cylinder release latch being nothing like an S&W, and the fact that it's polymer and aluminum, then yeah, they're just alike.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I love my LCP, recall and all. Recall took about a week. and they did all the work.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Ruger needs to quit screwing around with this sort of thing, and get busy with something that actually has a prayer of gaining real interest in the market - like design a whole new rifle system to replace the Mini-14. This is NOT 1975 anymore!

For that matter, they could just sell an AR-15 clone. S&W is raking in the dough with their clone.

13.5 ounces and .357 magnum sounds like a recipe for pain.

I used to have a lightweight S&W hammerless snubbie. I got rid of it because the recoil hit me right on a nerve in the web of my hand. I couldn't stand it. If Ruger has solved the recoil-nerve-impingement issue with this gun, I could see it being a credible BUG for deep carry.

Looks like the price is going to spank everything on the market in that class. But, how many customers ARE THERE in that class in 2009???

Yes, it is plenty ugly. But then so is the $500+ retail price of anything comparable from S&W.

A laser sight on a backup gun is 100% gimmick.

I'll probably just stick with my Glock 26 at this point.
    Here's a comparison of a S&W Model 60 and the G26
    Double the sight radius, night sights, 11 shots (13 with the mag extension as shown in the pic), pretty much same size, no recoil issues, accepts mags from larger pistols.

Post imported post

I'll stick with my 642, thanks. Under a pound fully loaded, and it's all metal. You can get them without the lock these days, too. That Ruger is just fugly. I collect strange and funky revolvers like Webleys and Enfields.... but I'll pass on this one.

Post imported post

I just got back from SHOT SHOW, where I played with the Ruger LCR a few times.

I expected it to suck, as I have not been a fan of Ruger ergonomics and triggers. Trigger was actually okay, similar to a J-frame Smith. Ruger guy told me the internals are electroless nickel coated.

So, in my opinion, it's not bad.

Still, since the J-frame Smiths are around, I'm personally aren't interested in the LCR.

Post imported post

I'm disappointed. They IMO would have been better served by making an alloy framed SP101. This coming from a BIG Ruger fan (and pre-lock smith fan).

Post imported post

While I like it I like the LCP more. Someday I wouldn't mind having either the LCR or LCP more than likely the latter. However, not sure that it will be anytime soon.

Post imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
    A laser sight on a backup gun is 100% gimmick.
    I'd argue its actually a good place for a laser sight. The sight radius is so small that, comparatively, the laser is a far better aiming tool if you have to make a shot beyond a few feet.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    I'm disappointed. They IMO would have been better served by making an alloy framed SP101. This coming from a BIG Ruger fan (and pre-lock smith fan).
    I agree. The SP101 is nice for carry and a lighter version would be great!

Post imported post

Shooting .357 out of a snub nose is not very enjoyable. especially when shooting with the hard rubber factory grips thatS&W come with. once you put a good grip on they aren't too bad. you gotta develop a little tolerance to the recoil. but that ruger looks very interesting especially in the cylinder area. I wouldn't personally buy one as I like a little heft in my revolvers. But interesting design and materials for shure.

Post imported post

Tylerc wrote:
    Shooting .357 out of a snub nose is not very enjoyable. especially when shooting with the hard rubber factory grips thatS&W come with. once you put a good grip on they aren't too bad. you gotta develop a little tolerance to the recoil. but that ruger looks very interesting especially in the cylinder area. I wouldn't personally buy one as I like a little heft in my revolvers. But interesting design and materials for shure.
    Yeah, I carry a J-frame with a 3" barrel with 158 gr Gold Dots in it. It's OK to shoot as long as you keep it to 100 rounds or less. The factory grips start to beat up my hands after I've put too many through it.

What grips do you have on yours, and can you still use a speed-loader with them?

Post imported post

I've recently sold my 649 butI had a hogue monogrip on it. And I couldn't tell ya if it could still take speedloaders asI usually used a speed strip to reload it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast