• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Forget the Ruger LCP, check out the Ruger LCR....

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

http://www.ruger.com/LCR/index.html

461lzy9.jpg

rugerlcrctcrt7.jpg

Caliber: .38 SPL+P
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Finish: Matte Black/Target Grey
Grip: Hogue Tamer w/ Sorborthane Insert
Barrel Length: 1.875″
Groove: 6
Twist: 1:16″ RH
Overall Length: 6.50″
Weight: 13.5 oz.
Front Sight(s): Replaceable, Pinned Ramp Front
Rear Sight(s): Integral U-Notch

The standard model has a recommended retail price of $525.

What do you guys think? Makes a nice BUG.

IanB

imported post

I like it, but since I'm not a revolver person I won't be buying one. But it def looks like a good BUG. I'd like the opportunity to shoot one.

eyesopened

imported post

My buddy and I have been trading emails about it. Check out this video: http://shootingsportsblog.com/bulletboy/new-ruger-lcr/

As with any products though, I'd wait about 1.5yrs before getting it. Ruger's last two releases (SR9 and LCP) both had recalls on them. I've been wanting to get an SP101, and I think I still will but this revolver is intriguing in how they're marrying the different materials. I don't mind combat tupperware as I carry an XD too. My buddy is talking about getting this instead of a SW Nightguard.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

IMO - lighter is not necessarily better.

Nice features include pinned front sight so I would think that different height and high viz insert would be easy. Also grip material with insert is interesting.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
No .357? :cry:

Yeah, I'm not a revolver person either...but I think someday I could go for a .357 snubbie just for the fun of it.
Now that is interesting. Your posting only showed what I've made bold before clicking "quote" - then I saw the rest. Wonder why?

Ever shot .357 in an alloy snubby? It ain't fun! Hot .38 in one can be a hand full for some.

Yata hey

PS - some content was delayed - strange - it's there now.

GWRedDragon

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
GWRedDragon wrote:

Yeah, I'm not a revolver person either...but I think someday I could go for a .357 snubbie just for the fun of it.
Now that is interesting. Your posting only showed what I've made bold before clicking "quote" - then I saw the rest. Wonder why?

Ever shot .357 in an alloy snubby? It ain't fun! Hot .38 in one can be a hand full for some.

Yata hey

PS - some content was delayed - strange - it's there now.
I have a habit of posting unfinished thoughts and then editing in the rest :lol:

I've never shot any size .357, but I have shot a relatively short (not snub though) 44mag. I figure it can't be that much worse than that, can it? :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
I have a habit of posting unfinished thoughts and then editing in the rest :lol:

I've never shot any size .357, but I have shot a relatively short (not snub though) 44mag. I figure it can't be that much worse than that, can it? :uhoh:
Oh yes it can get much worse but not for me again as I've been there and done that.

Shot a friend's (yes I have one) .45 ACP that is literally smaller than a playing card!

They make scandium framed .357s but I cannot imagine one in .44 mag.

No desire to shoot .454 Causal or the like either. One shot water buffalo handguns are just not my thing.

Yata hey

PS - that's why we have the "Preview" tab right next to the little send button. :D

eyesopened

imported post

TFred wrote:
Looks like a fairly close copy of the S&W 442. I personally wouldn't buy a new S&W with the internal lock, but you can find them without it if you look hard in the right places.

S&W 442

TFred
I've heard that the internal lock on the SW have actually locked themselves. That's kind of a scary thought...

nova

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:

If you do, go with an SP101. Can't go wrong with one of those.

And depending on the gun, .357mag can be a handfull with full-power loads.

KBCraig

imported post

TFred wrote:
Looks like a fairly close copy of the S&W 442.
Well, except for the shape, the extensive fluting, the cylinder release latch being nothing like an S&W, and the fact that it's polymer and aluminum, then yeah, they're just alike.

W.E.G.

imported post

Ruger needs to quit screwing around with this sort of thing, and get busy with something that actually has a prayer of gaining real interest in the market - like design a whole new rifle system to replace the Mini-14. This is NOT 1975 anymore!

For that matter, they could just sell an AR-15 clone. S&W is raking in the dough with their clone.

13.5 ounces and .357 magnum sounds like a recipe for pain.

I used to have a lightweight S&W hammerless snubbie. I got rid of it because the recoil hit me right on a nerve in the web of my hand. I couldn't stand it. If Ruger has solved the recoil-nerve-impingement issue with this gun, I could see it being a credible BUG for deep carry.

Looks like the price is going to spank everything on the market in that class. But, how many customers ARE THERE in that class in 2009???

Yes, it is plenty ugly. But then so is the $500+ retail price of anything comparable from S&W.

A laser sight on a backup gun is 100% gimmick.

I'll probably just stick with my Glock 26 at this point.
Here's a comparison of a S&W Model 60 and the G26
Double the sight radius, night sights, 11 shots (13 with the mag extension as shown in the pic), pretty much same size, no recoil issues, accepts mags from larger pistols.

Glock-G26SWM60.jpg

zoom6zoom

imported post

I'll stick with my 642, thanks. Under a pound fully loaded, and it's all metal. You can get them without the lock these days, too. That Ruger is just fugly. I collect strange and funky revolvers like Webleys and Enfields.... but I'll pass on this one.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I just got back from SHOT SHOW, where I played with the Ruger LCR a few times.

I expected it to suck, as I have not been a fan of Ruger ergonomics and triggers. Trigger was actually okay, similar to a J-frame Smith. Ruger guy told me the internals are electroless nickel coated.

So, in my opinion, it's not bad.

Still, since the J-frame Smiths are around, I'm personally aren't interested in the LCR.

nova

imported post

I'm disappointed. They IMO would have been better served by making an alloy framed SP101. This coming from a BIG Ruger fan (and pre-lock smith fan).

hometheaterman

imported post

While I like it I like the LCP more. Someday I wouldn't mind having either the LCR or LCP more than likely the latter. However, not sure that it will be anytime soon.