• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10yo son got in trouble for drawing picture of cowboy with gun!

Mississippian

imported post

This happened at Orange Lake School, Moss Point School system, Moss Point, MS.

I come home and sat down on the couch with him and we were talking about school when he started telling me about a cool picture of a cowboy he had drawn, big hat, handlebar mustache, etc, etc.

When I asked him to show it to me, he said it got torn up, I asked why and he said because it had a gun in the picture, the teacher took it, tore it up and threw it away!? I said "Huh?" He said his class is not allowed to draw or talk about or make-believe play with guns.

I've only gotten his side of the story, but he acted like it is common knowledge that they are not allowed to talk or play with anything that they could call a toy gun.

Is this true, any one else here have an experience like this?Just what the he** are they teaching our kids?

I've thought about contacting the teacher, but I'm not sure exactly how to handle this.

BTW, my son has shot all of my handguns along with my .22 and my SKS. I've taught him well, he is very safe with my guns and is a pretty darn good shot. Probably the hardest thing for me to break him of doing was to not rest his finger on the trigger and to put the safety back on (when applicable), but that has been fixed. I take him shooting usually about twice a month.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Welcome to the world of political indoctrination of our children - the nannie state strikes again. :X

Yata hey

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Welcome to the world of political indoctrination of our children - the nannie state strikes again. :X

Yata hey

This indoctrination has really got to stop.

I say go to school board meetings with like minded parents and let your feelings be known.If that doesn't work vote then out! Just taking it and saying "oh well that is the system we live in" won't get anything accomplished and makes things worse. The nannies want to make sure our kids are forced into pre-school so they can start the indoctrination even sooner,as parents we need to make sure that the cirriculum that is taught is what WE approve of.

The Teacher's Union says that parents need to get more involved in their kids' education. OK so lets do that, being involved in the education goes beyond just helping out with homework and the books, it also means attending these meetings and letting them know you don't approve of what is being taught.

ACEllis

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas,
imported post

I drew a similar picture my freshman year in high school (2000-2001). I forgot my notebook in algebra class, and about 4 hours later I was called in to the counselors office. I was questioned the rest of the day by her and the vice principal. My folks were called in and they discussed expelling me. Something about the picture is a threat towards the school and a sign of instability.... or some BS like that.

They eventually chose not to kick me out but at the end of the year, they rejected my out of district application. Had to go back to my old school and start all over again. Not easy for a kid who was barely a teenager.

Now I'm a certified gunsmith. So much for me being crazy. I was just fascinated with guns and their history. (Still am. :lol:)

Tell the school your disgust with them. Face to face. Don't tolerate this smothering of your child's creativity and interests.

AC

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ACEllis wrote:
Tell the school your disgust with them. Face to face. Don't tolerate this smothering of your child's creativity and interests.

Amen. Get to know the teachers and administrators. Make sure they know you.

I realize it is after the fact but if you do any volunteer work at all these are great opportunities to build good rapport with them. This makes it much easier to discuss problems later.

Destroying a student's work, no matter how offensive it may be just smacks of book burning to me. It's unacceptable. Good luck.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Here in Washington my freinds son was kicked out of elemtary school for talking about guns on the bus. His Dad went down and raised hell, and they let him back in. Heres the kicker we were shooting BB guns and I popped one into his but with one pump as a joke he was about 7 was a little upset about that so I let him shoot me in the same place to placate him. So he was telling his freind on the bus that real guns must be very dangerous because just a bb gun hurt really bad. A girl sitting behind them turned him to the principal for talking about guns. The principal kicked him out because they have a 0 tolerance policy.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
The principal kicked him out because they have a 0 tolerance policy.

So do I: I have zero tolerance for idiots.

That's why I home-school.
I think my buddy's line of reasoning was along those same lines. A lot of parents are moving to home school its one reason why education unions in California tried to get laws passed against it. Fortunately and unexpectedly for California a state judge actually ruled in favor of its citizens rights on that subject.

EviL inside

imported post

Moss Point school system is especially horrendous. If i ever have a kid, it's either homeschooling, or i'll work the system and take it to Ocean Springs school system. Get used to unbelievable stories coming from Moss Point.

I went to a relative's graduation at Moss Point last year, it's bad when the school SUPERINTENDANT cannot speak proper english, along with 95% of the staff.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Similar thing happened last year up in Chandler. 'Kid was kicked out for drawing a 'gun' doodle on some paper... It was a 'raygun'. This is happening all over the country... so it's gotta be a 'thing' cooked up by the NEA sometime or other... altho nobody 'knows'?

Chandler is in Arizona... Duhhh!

Mississippian

imported post

I went to a relative's graduation at Moss Point last year, it's bad when the school SUPERINTENDANT cannot speak proper english, along with 95% of the staff.
I noticed that at the Christmas play this past year.

We had found a small private school and had him in it, but then they closed, so wehomeschooled him one year, but saw he was missing out on 'socializing' so we put him back in public school this (school) year. I don't know what we may do for the next school year, but I am definately ready to start 'butting heads' with these idiots. Who knows, he may be getting homeschooled again before the summer;).

Similar thing happened last year up in Chandler. 'Kid was kicked out for drawing a 'gun' doodle on some paper... It was a 'raygun'. This is happening all over the country... so it's gotta be a 'thing' cooked up by the NEA sometime or other... altho nobody 'knows'?

Simply rediculous.

kennethgentry82

imported post

:cuss::banghead:If i was you i would have done been up at the school and raisin he** with the teacher. 1 for tearing up my sons pic and 2 for teachin the kids that guns are bad

heresolong

imported post

Mississippian wrote:

We had found a small private school and had him in it, but then they closed, so wehomeschooled him one year, but saw he was missing out on 'socializing' so we put him back in public school this (school) year.
Get involved in a homeschooling association if you do pull him out. He goes to various people's houses on different days for different lessons, field trips, etc. You take your turn in a subject that you are good at. This way it takes some of the burden off parents plus gives the kids the opportunity to interact with more kids their age.

I would also give the teacher a call. I am a high school teacher and I have had to apologize more than once for something that I thought was no big deal but a parent objected to. I appreciated the feedback and they appreciated my willingness to talk about the issue, even if we disagreed after the conversation.

Mississippian

imported post

Yes, When we homeschooled my son, we were not part of an association, but I do remember they were available and I was surprised at how many people around homeschooled.

He will not be back in public ed. next school year, we are either going to homeschool him or put him in a private school. I'm fed up with their brainwashing and incompetence.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mississippian wrote:
Yes, When we homeschooled my son, we were not part of an association, but I do remember they were available and I was surprised at how many people around homeschooled.

He will not be back in public ed. next school year, we are either going to homeschool him or put him in a private school. I'm fed up with their brainwashing and incompetence.
Good Job Missp. glad you decided that. When I was in school, I never heard of anything like what the kids are having to deal with from the public school systems today. If they woulda kick me out, I would go personally to the school with my parents and told them what I thought about it, and if they didn't agree, I would tell them my parents and my parents friends and associates will not be voting for them , come time for re election. :celebrateSee how they would not like being on the board anymore, it would be time for a new job,huh.