• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can non-residents now possess a handgun in Michigan without a CPL

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

[align=left]Seems they can if all the below is meet. Not sure if you can if your state does not give you a "License to possess" a handgun. Whatever that means.[/align]

[align=left]FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
Sec. 2.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

(2) A person who brings a pistol into this state who is on leave from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or who has been discharged from active duty with the armed forces of the United States shall obtain a license for the pistol within 30 days after his or her arrival in this state.

(3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols to qualified applicants residing within the city, village, township, or county, as applicable unless he or she has probable cause to believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States. An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exist:

(a) The person is not subject to an order or disposition for which he or she has received notice and an opportunity for a hearing, and which was entered into the law enforcement information network pursuant to any of the following:

(i) Section 464a(1) of the mental health code, 1974 PA 258, MCL 330.1464a.

(ii) Section 5107 of the estates and protected individuals code, 1998 PA 386, MCL 700.5107, or section 444a of former 1978 PA 642.

(iii) Section 2950(10) of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.2950.

(iv) Section 2950a(7) of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.2950a.

(v) Section 14 of 1846 RS 84, MCL 552.14.

(vi) Section 6b(5) of chapter V of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 765.6b, if the order has a condition imposed under section 6b(3) of chapter V of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 765.6b.

(vii) Section 16b(1) of chapter IX of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 769.16b.

(b) The person is 18 years of age or older or, if the seller is licensed under 18 USC 923, is 21 years of age or older.

(c) The person is a citizen of the United States and is a legal resident of this state. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:

(i) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or an official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.

(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.

(iii) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person's home of record is in this state.

(iv) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person's home of record is in another state.

(d) A felony charge or a criminal charge listed in section 5b against the person is not pending at the time of application.

(e) The person is not prohibited from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving, or distributing a firearm under section 224f of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.224f.

(f) The person has not been adjudged insane in this state or elsewhere unless he or she has been adjudged restored to sanity by court order.

(g) The person is not under an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness.

(h) The person has not been adjudged legally incapacitated in this state or elsewhere. This subdivision does not apply to a person who has had his or her legal capacity restored by order of the court.

(i) The person correctly answers 70% or more of the questions on a basic pistol safety review questionnaire approved by the department of state police and provided to the individual free of charge by the licensing authority. If the person fails to correctly answer 70% or more of the questions on the basic pistol safety review questionnaire, the licensing authority shall inform the person of the questions he or she answered incorrectly and allow the person to attempt to complete another basic pistol safety review questionnaire. The person shall not be allowed to attempt to complete more than 2 basic pistol safety review questionnaires on any single day. The licensing authority shall allow the person to attempt to complete the questionnaire during normal business hours on the day the person applies for his or her license.

(4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in quadruplicate upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Four copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 10 days after the date it is issued.

(5) If an individual purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, the seller shall fill out the license forms describing the pistol, together with the date of sale or acquisition, and sign his or her name in ink indicating that the pistol was sold to or otherwise acquired by the purchaser. The purchaser shall also sign his or her name in ink indicating the purchase or other acquisition of the pistol from the seller. The seller may retain a copy of the license as a record of the transaction. The purchaser shall receive 3 copies of the license. The purchaser shall return 2 copies of the license to the licensing authority within 10 days after the date the pistol is purchased or acquired. The return of the copies to the licensing authority may be made in person or may be made by first-class mail or certified mail sent within the 10-day period to the proper address of the licensing authority. A purchaser who fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $250.00. If a purchaser is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this subsection, the court shall notify the department of state police of that determination.

(6) Within 48 hours after receiving the license copies returned under subsection (5), the licensing authority shall forward 1 copy of the license to the department of state police. The licensing authority shall retain the other copy of the license as an official record for not less than 6 years. Within 10 days after receiving the license copies returned under subsection (5), the licensing authority shall electronically enter the information into the pistol entry database as required by the department of state police if it has the ability to electronically enter that information. If the licensing authority does not have that ability, the licensing authority shall provide that information to the department of state police in a manner otherwise required by the department of state police. Any licensing authority that provided pistol descriptions to the department of state police under former section 9 of this act shall continue to provide pistol descriptions to the department of state police under this subsection. The purchaser has the right to obtain a copy of the information placed in the pistol entry database under this subsection to verify the accuracy of that information. The licensing authority may charge a fee not to exceed $1.00 for the cost of providing the copy. The licensee may carry, use, possess, and transport the pistol for 30 days beginning on the date of purchase or acquisition only while he or she is in possession of his or her copy of the license. However, the person is not required to have the license in his or her possession while carrying, using, possessing, or transporting the pistol after this period.

(7) This section does not apply to the purchase of pistols from wholesalers by dealers regularly engaged in the business of selling pistols at retail, or to the sale, barter, or exchange of pistols kept as relics or curios not made for modern ammunition or permanently deactivated. This section does not prevent the transfer of ownership of pistols that are inherited if the license to purchase is approved by the commissioner or chief of police, sheriff, or their authorized deputies, and signed by the personal representative of the estate or by the next of kin having authority to dispose of the pistol.

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

(9) An individual who is a nonresident of this state shall present the license described in subsection (8)(a) upon the demand of a police officer. An individual who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

(10) The licensing authority may require a person claiming active duty status with the United States armed forces to provide proof of 1 or both of the following:

(a) The person's home of record.

(b) Permanent active duty assignment in this state.

(11) This section does not apply to a person who is younger than the age required under subsection (3)(b) and who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing that pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The person's parent or guardian is physically present and supervising the person.

(e) The owner of the pistol is physically present.

(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.

(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.

(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.

(13) The licensing authority shall provide a basic pistol safety brochure to each applicant for a license under this section before the applicant answers the basic pistol safety review questionnaire. A basic pistol safety brochure shall contain, but is not limited to providing, information on all of the following subjects:

(a) Rules for safe handling and use of pistols.

(b) Safe storage of pistols.

(c) Nomenclature and description of various types of pistols.

(d) The responsibilities of owning a pistol.

(14) The basic pistol safety brochure shall be supplied in addition to the safety pamphlet required by section 9b.

(15) The basic pistol safety brochure required in subsection (13) shall be produced by a national nonprofit membership organization that provides voluntary pistol safety programs that include training individuals in the safe handling and use of pistols.

(16) A person who forges any matter on an application for a license under this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

(17) A licensing authority shall implement this section during all of the licensing authority's normal business hours and shall set hours for implementation that allow an applicant to use the license within the time period set forth in subsection (4).

History: 1927, Act 372, Eff. Sept. 5, 1927 ;-- CL 1929, 16750 ;-- Am. 1931, Act 333, Imd. Eff. June 16, 1931 ;-- Am. 1941, Act 112, Imd. Eff. May 21, 1941 ;-- Am. 1943, Act 51, Imd. Eff. Mar. 30, 1943 ;-- CL 1948, 28.422 ;-- Am. 1949, Act 170, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1957, Act 259, Eff. Sept. 27, 1957 ;-- Am. 1964, Act 216, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964 ;-- Am. 1967, Act 158, Eff. Nov. 2, 1967 ;-- Am. 1968, Act 301, Eff. Nov. 15, 1968 ;-- Am. 1972, Act 15, Imd. Eff. Feb. 19, 1972 ;-- Am. 1986, Act 161, Eff. Aug. 1, 1986 ;-- Am. 1990, Act 320, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 219, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992 ;-- Am. 1992, Act 220, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992 ;-- Am. 1994, Act 338, Eff. Apr. 1, 1996 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 101, Imd. Eff. May 13, 2004 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 195, Eff. Jan. 7, 2009 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 406, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 2009
Constitutionality: The Michigan Court of Appeals held in Chan v City of Troy, 220 Mich App 376; 559 NW2d 374 (1997), that the citizen requirement, now MCL 28.422(3)(c), for a permit to purchase a pistol contained in MCL 28.422(3)(b) violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and is unconstitutional.
Popular Name: CCW
Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
Popular Name: Right to Carry
Popular Name: Shall Issue
[/align]

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In my opinion (IANAL, YMMV),

If you are a legal owner of a pistol in your home state, then the home state has licensed you to own that pistol, and you may carry.

However, it states that you must have that license on your person while in Michigan. Maybe a printout of the home state laws? I would not recommend being the guinea pig for this...

custom.45acp

imported post

If Michigan does not allow out of state handguns, unless you have a carry permit from your home state, club has a tournament, what does the competitor do? Rent a gun?

I want my son, who happens to live in Illinois, to compete IDPA/USPSA while he visits here. He has his own guns, does he have to use mine? Oh that's right, according to Michigan Laws, I can't lend my gun.

??????

Custom.45acp

ghostrider

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
If Michigan does not allow out of state handguns, unless you have a carry permit from your home state, club has a tournament, what does the competitor do? Rent a gun?

I want my son, who happens to live in Illinois, to compete IDPA/USPSA while he visits here. He has his own guns, does he have to use mine? Oh that's right, according to Michigan Laws, I can't lend my gun.

??????

Custom.45acp
I'm sure the super-squad doesn't have to worry about such law.

I'd always wondered about it myself.

Venator

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:

??????

Custom.45acp

Illinois has a licensing scheme so as long as he has his registration (Firearm owners Card) card he can now posses the gun in Michigan.

You can "loan" your legally Michigan registered handgun to someone with a Michigan CPL.

jmlefler

imported post

This is interesting. I probably don't have a 'license' for the pistols I own. Check that. My pistols don't have a license.

I'm aware of a 'license to purchase' but not a 'license to own'.

It appears that this act requires such a 'license to own'.

Anyone have such a 'license' (not your CPL)?

Carry on.

custom.45acp

imported post

Venator wrote:
custom.45acp wrote:

??????

Custom.45acp
Illinois has a licensing scheme so as long as he has his registration (Firearm owners Card) card he can now posses the gun in Michigan.

You can "loan" your legally Michigan registered handgun to someone with a Michigan CPL.
If you are bringing a handgun to Michigan beware of this.

email from MSP:

Mr. Jeffs,

Michigan law requires that a person obtain a License to Purchase a pistol (MCL 28.422) before possessing a pistol in this state. Once a person buys a pistol with a License to Purchase, it must be safety inspected (MCL 28.429). Only residents of Michigan are eligible for licenses and safety inspections. Because a non-resident cannot satisfy those requirements they cannot lawfully possess a pistol here (for any purpose).

Exceptions to those requirements are found in MCL 28.432. One of those exceptions is for persons licensed by their state of residence to carry a concealed pistol.

Sincerely, Sgt. Thomas Deasy Michigan State Police Executive Resource Section 714 S. Harrison Rd. East Lansing, MI 48823 (517) 336-6441

The above is a quote from SHOOTING ON OWN PROPERTY!

I am a little confused because Illinois does have a FOID card that does not allow them to legally carry a firearm (although legally posses those firearms) but according to the above letter posted by Venator (Shooting on own property) says otherwise as far as crossing state line with those said firearms. As a father, I am very proud that he is carrying on the with the 2A rights by legally possessing his firearms and in no way would want to jeopardize those rights by him bringing them into Michigan!

?????

Custom.45acp

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
Venator wrote:
custom.45acp wrote:

??????

Custom.45acp

If you are bringing a handgun to Michigan beware of this.

email from MSP:

Mr. Jeffs,

Michigan law requires that a person obtain a License to Purchase a pistol (MCL 28.422) before possessing a pistol in this state.  Once a person buys a pistol with a License to Purchase, it must be safety inspected (MCL 28.429).  Only residents of Michigan are eligible for licenses and safety inspections.  Because a non-resident cannot satisfy those requirements they cannot lawfully possess a pistol here (for any purpose).

Exceptions to those requirements are found in MCL 28.432.  One of those exceptions is for persons licensed by their state of residence to carry a concealed pistol.

Sincerely, Sgt. Thomas Deasy Michigan State Police Executive Resource Section 714 S. Harrison Rd. East Lansing, MI 48823 (517) 336-6441

The above is a quote from SHOOTING ON OWN PROPERTY!

I am a little confused because Illinois does have a FOID card that does not allow them to legally carry a firearm (although legally posses those firearms) but according to the above letter posted by Venator (Shooting on own property) says otherwise as far as crossing state line with those said firearms. As a father, I am very proud that he is carrying on the with the 2A rights by legally possessing his firearms and in no way would want to jeopardize those rights by him bringing them into Michigan!

?????

Custom.45acp

Since that letter was written, The law has changed.

If you have ANY license to legally possess the pistol, you may possess it in Michigan according to the laws of this state. IF your card does not allow for you to conceal, then you cannot conceal in this state.

Venator

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:

?????

Custom.45acp

New law. It now allows you to possess a handgun in Michigan if your home state allows you to possess a handgun, and it's "Licensed". The question is what about those states that don't register handguns. As for Illinois they have a FOID card which in my opinion would qualify.

MY REALCONCERN IS THE TRANSPORTING OF THE HANDGUN while in our state. WHAT IS MEANT BY LAWFUL PURPOSE. Will non-residents face capricious and inconsistent enforcement of what is considered legal transport like the current case we have ahead of us?

David59

imported post

Looks like this law change was written for people who live in Illinois.:celebrate The question of open carry (not concealed carry) in Illinois is that local law, not state laws prohibit open carry. So it looks like I will finally be able to bring my pistol when visiting the cabin. But I still will not open carry until there is more clarification of the new law.

Venator

imported post

David59 wrote:
Looks like this law change was written for people who live in Illinois.:celebrate The question of open carry (not concealed carry) in Illinois is that local law, not state laws prohibit open carry. So it looks like I will finally be able to bring my pistol when visiting the cabin. But I still will not open carry until there is more clarification of the new law.

If your concern is whether you as a non-resident are allowed to OC then you should know that you are allowedas long as you follow state law and have your "license" with you. If you are concerned with the confusion of the transporting issue, then welcome to the club.

I have the ear of my pro-gun state senator and he is working on a clarification either through an AG opinion or an amendment of the current statute. This all takes time.

RobR369

imported post

ok, maybe Im a little slow:pbut all this talk about carrying, possessing, transporting has confused me more. Ok, Im a Illinois resident with a valid F.O.I.D. card, also possessing 2 non-resident carry permits. I travel to Michigan quite often, so am I able to conceal carry legally in Michigan, according to the new law? Venator, you have said possess a handgun, does that mean conceal carry on person? Because I can possess a handgun enclosed in a case, unloaded locked in the trunk. Sounds like to me, I will be able to CARRY legally in Michigan now. :celebrate:celebrate

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RobR369 wrote:
ok, maybe Im a little slow:p but all this talk about carrying, possessing, transporting has confused me more. Ok, Im a Illinois resident with a valid F.O.I.D. card, also possessing 2 non-resident carry permits. I travel to Michigan quite often, so am I able to conceal carry legally in Michigan, according to the new law? Venator, you have said possess a handgun, does that mean conceal carry on person? Because I can possess a handgun enclosed in a case, unloaded locked in the trunk. Sounds like to me, I will be able to CARRY legally in Michigan now. :celebrate:celebrate

CARRY: Yes.
CONCEAL: NO.

If you don't have license to CONCEAL, then you cannot. If you have license to POSESS, you may carry openly.

Carry on.

Venator

imported post

RobR369 wrote:
ok, maybe Im a little slow:pbut all this talk about carrying, possessing, transporting has confused me more. Ok, Im a Illinois resident with a valid F.O.I.D. card, also possessing 2 non-resident carry permits. I travel to Michigan quite often, so am I able to conceal carry legally in Michigan, according to the new law? Venator, you have said possess a handgun, does that mean conceal carry on person? Because I can possess a handgun enclosed in a case, unloaded locked in the trunk. Sounds like to me, I will be able to CARRY legally in Michigan now. :celebrate:celebrate

Three issues:

1)Michigan only will recognize a CPL from your home state. So no you can not conceal if you are from Illinois.

2) Michigan now allows a non-resident to posses a handgun in Michigan if you have a legally owned handgun in your state. The problem is the wording in regards to a license...what does that mean. Many states don't have handgun licenses. Will Michigan still allow you to possess a handgun? Don't know. For you it would appear that you can OC while in Michigan because you have a FOID card.

3) Transporting is another issue. If you do not have a CPL you must transport your handgun unloaded and in the truck or in a case unloaded out of reach of passengers in a truck. The problem here is that some PD's feel that the only lawful purposes is what is mentioned in the statute, and to further confuse the issue they feel it must be to and from, which the amended statute (2006) was suppose to address. But prosecutions are going on for improper transport. It seems for now you transport at your own risk.

Tucker6900

imported post

This question has me curious. As some of you know, I now live in Iowa. Iowa does notrequire firearm registration. I have yet to receive my CPL here, so legally, I can not carry here. Im wondering what my carry status would be in Michigan.

On a side note, is my MI CPL still legit in Michigan? I still have (and use) my MI drivers license.

Another thought. Lets try this on for size:

I live in Iowa. I am home (Michigan) on vacation. I decide to OC. Now under the laws in MI, one is not required to show identification or CPL to any officer if the sole purpose for the interaction is for the Open Carrying of a Pistol. So legally, there would be no way for the officer to find out that you are not a resident of the state, if the detainment is for the reason mentioned above right?

Venator

imported post

Tucker6900 wrote:
This question has me curious. As some of you know, I now live in Iowa. Iowa does notrequire firearm registration. I have yet to receive my CPL here, so legally, I can not carry here. Im wondering what my carry status would be in Michigan.

On a side note, is my MI CPL still legit in Michigan? I still have (and use) my MI drivers license.

Another thought. Lets try this on for size:

I live in Iowa. I am home (Michigan) on vacation. I decide to OC. Now under the laws in MI, one is not required to show identification or CPL to any officer if the sole purpose for the interaction is for the Open Carrying of a Pistol. So legally, there would be no way for the officer to find out that you are not a resident of the state, if the detainment is for the reason mentioned above right?
Also if you have a handgun in Michigan (at your parents) that is registered to you in Michigan you could I suppose carry that.

Sounds iffy if you live in Iowa and have a Michigan ID and a CPL and carry concealed in Michigan. I'm not sure on this.

RobR369

imported post

8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a

a couple things here, according to this it statesis licensed in own state to purchase, carry or transport. Wouldnt F.O.I.D. card which allows you to possess or PURCHASE a firearm in Il. be honored, also lawful purpose? Wouldnt for self defense be lawful purpose? Just a couple thoughts I had.

macraw

imported post

Hello all!

I am visiting Michigan from Oregon in a few months. Oregon does not require you to license your gun (unless you count the background check that is kept on file for 5 years :? ). It almost looks like if you have an Oregon DL that would act as your license to transport a gun in Michigan.
Now the way I am reading this if i had a CCL I would also be able to CC in Mighigan? Or do I need the CCL just to posses a gun in Michigan?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

macraw wrote:
Hello all!

I am visiting Michigan from Oregon in a few months. Oregon does not require you to license your gun (unless you count the background check that is kept on file for 5 years :? ). It almost looks like if you have an Oregon DL that would act as your license to transport a gun in Michigan.
 Now the way I am reading this if i had a CCL I would also be able to CC in Mighigan? Or do I need the CCL just to posses a gun in Michigan?

Your driver's license only licenses you to drive. Sorry.

If you have a concealed carry license, then you may carry, openly or concealed, in this state.

You may openly carry if you have a physical license allowing you to own/carry your pistol. This has to be a purchase permit, carry permit, or owners permit, something similar. Not a driver's license.