• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger SR9 ... Thoughts?

demnogis

imported post

I was recently introduced to the Ruger SR9 by my dad as a recommendation for OC. 9MM would mean a bit less recoil for more precise follow-up shots. I was hoping to get some first-person testimonials before I commit.

I've checked prices and they're in the $350-$480 range depending on if I want 10rd mags or 17rd mags (not in CA!). Comes in a very attractive 2-tone style. It's also pretty light at 26oz, compact for carry at only 4.25" length. I think it would be better since I'm not such a big guy and have smaller hands, too.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Thanks :D

glenn36

imported post

I have had mine for about two months now and love it. I guess I have put about 500 rounds through it so far with no trouble what so ever. It is very easy to conseal.

The only problem I have is that Blackhawk doesn't yet make a holster for it. My dealer said they should be coming along soon.

demnogis

imported post

This past Thursday I went to the Stockade in Westminster and put down the deposit on a brand new SR9. I had many suggestions from family to either select the SR9 or an M&P .40/9mm. Looks like I get the benefits of both worlds as my mom will be getting the M&P .40 here soon too I can't wait for range days with the family and Inland Shooters club :D

I chose to buy local because I tried to locate a good deal online... All of the stores in OC wanted $150-$250 for their transfers/receiving a firearm for you. Regardless if it was a pistol or rifle. That would still turn a $350-$450 pistol into a $500-$700 pistol. I paid $598 out the door for everything, still about $200 less than the M&P (out the door) and about $800 less than the Sig P220 I originally wanted.

It's new in box, 2 10-round mags, locking transport case and 3 replaceable grip-locks (disables the firearm when removed). I can't wait to get the rest of my "ensamble" including, but not limited to:

-Voice recorder.
-Prepaid legal services card (24-hour service).
-Extra 3-fold OC fliers

So, now I need a holster. I'm thinking it best to have a holster that straps to the side of my leg, as opposed to a waist holster. I ride a motorcycle and I have no idea what my jacket may cover, but it doesnt go down to my knee. Also if I wear a normal jacket in public I don't want it to cover. So... Suggestions? I've heard nothing but good about the SERPA holsters, but that's a little pricey as is... Before the straps and such.

Majorpain

imported post

A frend of mine just picked up an SR9 this morning. We put around 350rd's through it in about an hour. The pistol may be defective because every 15th round or so the fireing pin would not strike the primer hard enough to ignite the powder. Or it could have just been crappy ammunition, (Blazer 9mm) im not very familiar with this ammunition but at $17.50 for a box of 50rds it should preform just fine.

I did like the look and feel of the pistol, the only thing I did not like was the trigger pull. For me there was way too much creep, andupon gaging the trigger it took 23lbs of pull to fire the pistol. Personally I like a nice crisp pull between 3.5 and 5.5lbs of pull with very little creep. For some people that is too light of a pull but that's all up to the firearm owner's preferences.

So other than those 3 thing's It was OK in my opinion but I do no think I would ever purchase one for myself or depend on it for much.

Enjoy

eyesopened

imported post

I've shot tons of blazer brass and it's always gone bang in my XD. I was just at the range yesterday and my friend put 100 through his XD9.

CrossFire

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I've shot tons of blazer brass and it's always gone bang in my XD. I was just at the range yesterday and my friend put 100 through his XD9.
I too have shot Blazer Brass almost exclusively without a single problem in my XD-9 and XD-45. I have also shot the Blazer made with aircraft grade aluminum instead of brass without problems, just make sure you clean your gun after shooting it and clean it well.

camsoup

imported post

Majorpain wrote:
A frend of mine just picked up an SR9 this morning. We put around 350rd's through it in about an hour. The pistol may be defective because every 15th round or so the fireing pin would not strike the primer hard enough to ignite the powder. Or it could have just been crappy ammunition, (Blazer 9mm) im not very familiar with this ammunition but at $17.50 for a box of 50rds it should preform just fine.

I did like the look and feel of the pistol, the only thing I did not like was the trigger pull. For me there was way too much creep, andupon gaging the trigger it took 23lbs of pull to fire the pistol. Personally I like a nice crisp pull between 3.5 and 5.5lbs of pull with very little creep. For some people that is too light of a pull but that's all up to the firearm owner's preferences.

So other than those 3 thing's It was OK in my opinion but I do no think I would ever purchase one for myself or depend on it for much.

Enjoy

:shock: Blazer brass is $8.97 a box at walmarts in CA....

CrossFire

imported post

Yea, Blazer Brass for 9mm is only $8.97 a box in Wal-Marts inmy part of TX. Unfortunately it appears they are attempting to get out of the ammo business b/c the one I have been going to is almost out of everything and does not seem to be restocking.

smash29

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Yea, Blazer Brass for 9mm is only $8.97 a box in Wal-Marts in my part of TX.  Unfortunately it appears they are attempting to get out of the ammo business b/c the one I have been going to is almost out of everything and does not seem to be restocking.

Same in GA but when I asked about it they said they were just having trouble getting ammo. (Thanks Barack!) I really hope it's not true because they are by far the cheapest source of ammo, at least for weenies like me who shoot 9mm.

CrossFire

imported post

smash29 wrote:
CrossFire wrote:
Yea, Blazer Brass for 9mm is only $8.97 a box in Wal-Marts inmy part of TX. Unfortunately it appears they are attempting to get out of the ammo business b/c the one I have been going to is almost out of everything and does not seem to be restocking.

Same in GA but when I asked about it they said they were just having trouble getting ammo. (Thanks Barack!) I really hope it's not true because they are by far the cheapest source of ammo, at least for weenies like me who shoot 9mm.
Hey, I was also buying .45 and .223 there.:cry:

smash29

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
smash29 wrote:
CrossFire wrote:
Yea, Blazer Brass for 9mm is only $8.97 a box in Wal-Marts in my part of TX.  Unfortunately it appears they are attempting to get out of the ammo business b/c the one I have been going to is almost out of everything and does not seem to be restocking.

Oops, I didn't even realize what I was saying, the insult was directed at yours truly, I swear! Notice I said "Weenies like me" not "weenies like us"!

mathar1

imported post

glenn36 wrote:
I have had mine for about two months now and love it. I guess I have put about 500 rounds through it so far with no trouble what so ever. It is very easy to conseal.

The only problem I have is that Blackhawk doesn't yet make a holster for it. My dealer said they should be coming along soon.
Use the model for the Glock 21. It fits with a nice loose draw but not too loose. The shop owner and I sat for about 20 minutes trying to find one that fit. He opened EVERY single blackhawk floor display to let me test it.:shock:

I LOVED mine until the recall put that crappy trigger on it. :banghead:

CrossFire

imported post

smash29 wrote:
CrossFire wrote:
smash29 wrote:
CrossFire wrote:

Oops, I didn't even realize what I was saying, the insult was directed at yours truly, I swear! Notice I said "Weenies like me" not "weenies like us"!
No worries, I took no offense at it. I am not one of those that think if it does not start with a 4 it is no good for self defense or anything else. I have several different guns in severaldifferent sizes and like them all.