• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man open carrying gets robbed of his gun

JBinMontana

imported post

I appoligize if this has been posted before, its a first time view for me so I thought I would pass it on because of situational awareness when we open carry.

Man robbed in the Centreville area

About 4:10 a.m. Sunday, July 30, officers were called to the area of Newton Patent Drive and Newton Tavern Drive. A 21-year-old Centreville-area man was robbed while walking on Newton Patent Drive. Two suspects approached the victim from behind, and placed a metal object up to the victim’s head. The suspects took the victim’s hand gun which he was openly carrying. The suspect’s then fled the area. The victim was not injured.

The suspects were described as black males wearing dark clothing.

Anyone with information about this incident or these suspects is asked to call Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477) or the police non-emergency number at 703-691-2131.

I'm just posting the story. Situational awareness is always important. Checking your six should always be done.

Open carrying takes away the surprise and criminals choose to use more force usually. He's lucky they didn't go further with him as they weren't caught anyways.

I'm not making this an anti-open carry post. Just posting an article.

Story Link

hogleg

imported post

Yeah agreed. Situational awarenes is even more important when open carrying in my opinion. Not only should you be on the watch for BG, Any fool can make a play for your sidearm to prove some stupid point. Looney non thinking ANTI trying to make statement.It might be thier last but ......Also keep in mind to the BG guns are very valuable. Might just try and see what they can get away with.

:exclaim:No sleeping while OC'ing.:exclaim:

I also like the idea of a good retention holster for OC.

No way someone should be sneaking up onyou at 4:10 am.......Unless you are sleep walking.

Marco

imported post

This is old news and the story was found out to be false.
It is somewhere on this site.

Something, like the person reported his own gun stolen and it was found in his house, IIRC.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
This is old news and the story was found out to be false.
It is somewhere on this site.

Something, like the person reported his own gun stolen and it was found in his house, IIRC.
+1

This never happened, the "victim" was a liar with a criminal record who made the whole story up.

Best to use the "search" function before postings threads like this.

hogleg

imported post

I thought as much. I don't thnk there is a person on this board that would not know the color ofa cricket thatfarted behind them while OC'ing.

usaf0906

imported post

i feel compelled to comment on the possibility of this happening.

point 1. its 4am.. i think it is fair to say that anyone out, BG or not, at this point has been partying or is looking for trouble.

point 2. as said previously.. if you are going to open carry, you need to keep good situational awareness, and have a holster that provides good retention. I have often OC'd with my blackhawk serpa.. but if i know i would be OC'ing at 4am, i am going to use my fobus thumb break holster that is hard for even myself to draw my weapon..

Marco

imported post

cbackous wrote: snip/edit
point 1.
its 4am.. anyone out, BG or not, at this point has been partying or is looking for trouble.

point 2.
as said previously.. if you are going to open carry, and have a holster that provides good retention.
Point 1
Aren't we in America is there a curfew now? Rhetorial:banghead:
I'm up & out everyday out at 4:30, I must be up to no good!
If walking my dog is a crime or partyingthis is news to me and many others.

Point 2
NO holster is going to stop a determined theft.
I have nothing against them but those that demand others use them need to check themselves.
You must not be as alert as you think you are.
Imho, people usually trying to put restricitons on others are the ones who need them the most.

Here is a link to the other post regarding this story.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=395&forum_id=4&highlight=Newton+Patent

Anyone doubting that this incident is BSis urged to contact FCPD (Sully Station) with questions.

Maybe an admin can post this report as a sticky along with something from the PD stating how false it is.
Just an idea!!!!

usaf0906

imported post

well agent19.. i will concede my first point.. since you brought up a point of view i hadnt thought of... reguardless of the time or neighborhood you are carrying in.. you should be allowed the right to carry as you wish... i agree.. the point i was trying tomake, and obviously didnt make as well as i had thought.. if you are going to open carry at 4am.. situational awareness should be more of a concern.. maybe i should have worded it that way..

point 2. The type of holster might deter the BG.. it it appears to be difficult (fobus thumb break) versus the easy holster (serpa) it could deter the BG more... obviously yes.. if the BG is determined to take your weapon/mug you, he will do everything in his power to do so... this should be kept in everyones mind when they are selecting there mode of carry and how they will carry.

obviously, since this story is bogus, the evidence is still in support of OC, as am I.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cbackous wrote:
i feel compelled to comment on the possibility of this happening.

point 1. its 4am.. i think it is fair to say that anyone out, BG or not, at this point has been partying or is looking for trouble.

point 2. as said previously.. if you are going to open carry, you need to keep good situational awareness, and have a holster that provides good retention. I have often OC'd with my blackhawk serpa.. but if i know i would be OC'ing at 4am, i am going to use my fobus thumb break holster that is hard for even myself to draw my weapon..
Oh noes, I go out quite frequently at 4 AM!! I must be up to no good. :uhoh:

:quirky :banghead:

It's not that scary. The only time 4am = getting robbed is if you're an idiot and like to hang out in Anacostia on unlit deserted streets. :what:

At any rate, OC will deter crime just as well at 3 or 4 AM as it will at 3 PM. Dark helps criminals avoid detection, but the dynamic changes totally when their victim is armed, and the advantages of darkness (mostly aiding in escape) become largely irrelevant.

I carry in my Serpa at 4 AM. :celebrate

Mississippian

imported post

I work days, nights, weekends and am forced to go, travel through and even stay at some very shady places at times, my avatar will explain why.

Last night, I stopped atthe Petro truckstopin Hammond, LA to exchange a defective CB and while walking to the building, I noticed an SUV that was all...Not sure how to say it..."fixed up", you know the type, 22" rims, gold trim, dark windows, etc, etc. with two guys inside and one standing outside 'watching' or 'looking' around, kinda like a 'lookout' if you know what I mean.

Anyway, even though I do not have my CC permit yet, when I saw them,I turned around and walked back to my truck, put myXD in my IWB holsterand 'carried' anyway, the three guys hanging out in-&-around the SUV paid waaay too much attention to me, my SA meter was pinging! They were up to no good, plain and simple.

I guess the old saying about ratherbe judged bytwelvethan carried by six is true.

Oh yea, this was around 7pm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Mr44Magnum wrote:
Open carrying takes away the surprise and criminals choose to use more force usually. He's lucky they didn't go further with him as they weren't caught anyways.

I'm not making this an anti-open carry post. Just posting an article.

link to false story title edited by Grapeshot
This unsupported by facts or evidencecomment:

Open carrying takes away the surprise andcriminals choose to use more force usually.

tends to make this an anti-open carry post, IMHO.
I'm sorry to see this one has surfaced again.

Insofar as OC being dangerous to the carrier, I repeat here the standby challenge.

Show me one incident with a valid cite where a legal OCer was either the victim of a preemptive strike or had his/her gun snatched/stolen by a BG anywhere in the United States in modern times. LEO/security and military actions do not qualify.

Understand that if one or two might be proven to exist, you will only further substantiate my contention that properly done OC is quite safe and most effective. The math would then yield a resultant fractional/per centage value of something like .00001% and I 'll take those odds any day.

Yata hey

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Understand that if one or two might be proven to exist, you will only further substantiate my contention that properly done OC is quite safe and most effective. The math would then yield a resultant fractional/per centage value of something like .00001% and I 'll take those odds any day.

Yata hey
The difference between having no knowledge of the case and having a little, it gives a starting place.