• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Open Carry question

rugergirl

imported post

Since MI is an open carry state, what are the laws about carrying while on the water?

I'm referring specifically on Lake St Clair, in Michigan waters only. Can I legally open carry while on my boat?

I spend a lot of hours on the water in warmer weather when I am not likely to be wearing enough clothing to carry concealed and I've never seen this question addressed anywhere.

Dono

Traverse City and Southgate, Michigan, USA
imported post

i dont know.....but honestly pirates on lake st. Clair?

*green peace boarded a Canadian laker carrying coal in to Naticoke a few years
ago*

I am professional sailor(engineer aboard lake boats, in training) and just about
every company says no firearms aboard.

so you walleye fishing on those waters?

WARCHILD

imported post

what are the laws about carrying while on the water?

If I remember correctly (?????)...while the boat is in motion, the gun must be...unloaded and in a case. Once the boat has come to a complete stop, you may load the gun and carry. Given those peramiters, that leaves out trolling and drifting completely. I'm not really familiar with maritime regulations...someone have a more complete answer.

Hcidem

imported post

Here is the Michigan statute excerpt which addresses the type of loaded firearm one may carry in a sailboat or motorboat.

750.227c Transporting or possessing loaded firearm in or upon vehicle; violation as misdemeanor; penalty; applicability to person violating MCL 312.10(1)(g).

Sec. 227c.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor vehicle, aircraft, motorboat, or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227c

Taurus850CIA

imported post

This is what I've found so far.

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.227c Transporting or possessing loaded firearm in or upon vehicle; violation as misdemeanor; penalty; applicability to person violating MCL 312.10(1)(g).
Sec. 227c.
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor vehicle, aircraft, motorboat, or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.
(3) This section does not apply to a person who violates section 10(1)(g) of chapter II of Act No. 286 of the Public Acts of 1929, as amended, being section 312.10 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

It seems that only long guns are restricted. I haven't found anything else yet...

rugergirl

imported post

Dono wrote:
i dont know.....but honestly pirates on lake st. Clair?

*green peace boarded a Canadian laker carrying coal in to Naticoke a few years
ago*

I am professional sailor(engineer aboard lake boats, in training) and just about
every company says no firearms aboard.

so you walleye fishing on those waters?

I'd love to catch a walleye, darn good meal there, but they fear me way too much. Most of my fishing is for smallmouth bass.

I'll do my best to stay out of the way of the lakers on the waters, normally the bass are not in the shipping channel until well into the warmer summer weather anyway.

I doubt there are many pirates on LSC, with the exection of the many rum drinkers scattered around Muskamoot Bay on weekends:D

My main curiosty would be with Border Patrol agents and the USCG. I've heard enough horror stories about the OPP and Canadian fishing reluations,border crossing regulations,not to mention those involving weapons in Canada, I don'teven want to go there figuratively or literally.;)

Thanks to the rest of you for the links, I'll be reading those as well.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

This question has come up before. This is a cut and past form some of the discussion. The opinions below are not mine but were from another member. This question involves both pistol/long guntransport laws and DNR law.

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d.
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982
© 2007 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

ORV-324.81133 Operation of ORV; prohibited acts

k) While transporting on the vehicle a bow unless unstrung or encased, or a firearm (does not differentiate pistols) unless unloaded and securely encased, or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured key locked trigger housing mechanism.

MCL 324.82126(1)(g).[/b]
• A person shall not operate a snowmobile while transporting a firearm, unless unloaded in both barrel and magazine and securely encased.

Member opinion:

It is more difficult to say whether it is legal to carry concealed in a boat. Your CPL authorizes you to carry a concealed pistol anywhere in the state, “except as otherwise provided by law”. Michigan law, MCL 324.40111(2) states, “Except as otherwise provided in this part or in a department order authorized under section 40107, a person shall not transport or have in possession a firearm in or upon a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded … in a motorized boat.”

Similar statutes outlaw the carrying of a loaded firearm in an ORV (MCL 324.81133) or in a snowmobile (MCL 324.82126(1). These statutes were designed to stop poachers] from shooting game from a motor vehicle, motor boat, ORV or snowmobile. But, their terms do not limit enforcement to that situation. [/b]

[/b]The DNR has issued a written guidance to its officers not to enforce the above statutes against anyone with a Concealed Pistol License] unless the person is using the handgun to hunt from a motor vehicle, boat, ORV or snowmobile.[/b]

This has not been formalized into a “department order” so it does not control anyone but Conservation Officers. There is no such barrier for any other peace officer. A police officer or deputy sheriff could arrest you for violation of the motor vehicle, motor boat, ORV or snowmobile statute. I believe that the carry concealed statute was intended to supersede these laws. But it did not do so explicitly. Hopefully the legislature will correct these contradictions.

I knowthe OP was without CPL, however, according to the above, carrying a loaded pistol in or on car, motorcycle, boat and snowmobile, etc. is going to require a CPL. I don't see how the above can be clearer on the subject.

Michigan we are not going to find a law that specificallystates OC is legal in or on a boat, snowmobile.

In Michigan, motorcycles are considered vehicles; therefore, CPL is required to CC or OC, same as a car.At this time the only thing we have to go by is what the DNR stated.

A hunting license is not required while transporting a firearm en route to or from a target, trap or skeet range, or target shooting area and there is no attempt to take game.

At all times, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms and bows and arrows carried in or on any type of motor vehicle, including ORVs and snowmobiles, must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine, and either enclosed in a case, or unstrung, or carried in the trunk of a vehicle with a trunk. These rules apply whether your vehicle is parked, stopped, moving or is on private or public property. A firearm transported in a motor-propelled boat or sailboat must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine when the motor is operating or the boat is under sail and may not be loaded until the momentum of the boat has ceased. Firearms must be unloaded in the barrel, and all arrows must be in a quiver when a hunter is afield outside the legal hunting hours. Exception: These rules do not apply to pistols carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license.

A percussion cap muzzleloading longarm is considered unloaded if the percussion cap is removed. A flintlock muzzleloading longarm is considered unloaded if the cock is left down and the pan is open. Black powder handguns must be transported as stated above.

Member opinion: All hunting laws still apply to us unless stated otherwise. No exception here for a handgun and it plainly states ANY motor vehicle. IN or ON If you are ON a motorcycles, your firearm MUST be unloaded & cased unless you have a CPL.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
This question has come up before.  This is a cut and past form some of the discussion.  The opinions below are not mine but were from another member.  This question involves both pistol/long gun transport laws and DNR law.

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d.
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

There. Fixed that for you. ;)

Also, An ORV is generally defined as a vehicle designed for land travel. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-road_vehicle

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Venator wrote:
snip

Member opinion: All hunting laws still apply to us unless stated otherwise. No exception here for a handgun and it plainly states ANY motor vehicle. IN or ON If you are ON a motorcycles, your firearm MUST be unloaded & cased unless you have a CPL.
Whomever wrote this opinion clearly missed the noted exception for the pistol. As far as hunting rules go, I don't believe they can be enforced on the water for anything other than waterfowl. Something about squirrels/deer/turkey in the middle of a lake just doesn't jive for me for some reason...:? It is not legal to use any firearm which propels a single projectile to take waterfowl, and to use a pistol to do so would be ludicrous, anyway. Nevermind that weather permitting bathing suits means that it probably isn't duck season. It may be a good question to pose to the MSP, just for CYA, but I don't see anything enforceable restricting open carry on a boat.

ETA: I suppose the concern would be whether carrying on the deck of a boat would be considered concealed, which is obviously illegal without a CPL.

taxwhat

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Venator wrote:
snip

Whomever wrote this opinion clearly missed the noted exception for the pistol. As far as hunting rules go, I don't believe they can be enforced on the water for anything other than waterfowl. Something about squirrels/deer/turkey in the middle of a lake just doesn't jive for me for some reason...:? It is not legal to use any firearm which propels a single projectile to take waterfowl, and to use a pistol to do so would be ludicrous, anyway. Nevermind that weather permitting bathing suits means that it probably isn't duck season. It may be a good question to pose to the MSP, just for CYA, but I don't see anything enforceable restricting open carry on a boat.

ETA: I suppose the concern would be whether carrying on the deck of a boat would be considered concealed, which is obviously illegal without a CPL.
Deer ,Bear ,Elk ,moose , otter ,and beaver ?

Taurus850CIA

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
Venator wrote:
snip

Deer ,Bear ,Elk ,moose , otter ,and beaver ?
I'll give you otter and beaver (trapping) being water dwelling animals, but the time frame still puts a person outside lawful season. I maintain that hunting regs should not be enforceable.

rugergirl

imported post

Great info, thanks everyone. I should be covered once I have my CPL. Class is on Jan. 25th, if the State issues on time I should be OK, if I do decide to bring the gun with me.

Those occasions will be rare and not the days I plan of fishing anywhere near the invisible Canadian border. I've heard enough horror stories about the MNR, the OPP and with the laws changing about crossing the border and what is and isn't considered "landing" in Canadaand bait restrictions ,it's just not worth catching a Canadian fish. I still don't understand if the fish know the border crossing laws, but that's a whole nudder can of worms:uhoh:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Also,

(2) Except as otherwise provided in this part or in a department order authorized under section 40107, a person shall not transport or have in possession a firearm in or upon a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case, carried in the trunk of a vehicle, or unloaded in a motorized boat.

This is MCRGO's take on this, in pertinent part:

It is more difficult to say whether it is legal to carry concealed in a boat. Your CPL authorizes you to carry a concealed pistol anywhere in the state, “except as otherwise provided by law”. Michigan law, MCL 324.40111(2) states, “Except as otherwise provided in this part or in a department order authorized under section 40107, a person shall not transport or have in possession a firearm in or upon a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded … in a motorized boat.” Similar statutes outlaw the carrying of a loaded firearm in an ORV (MCL 324.81133) or in a snowmobile (MCL 324.82126(1). These statutes were designed to stop poachers from shooting game from a motor vehicle, motor boat, ORV or snowmobile. But, their terms do not limit enforcement to that situation. The DNR has issued a written guidance to its officers not to enforce the above statutes against anyone with a Concealed Pistol License unless the person is using the handgun to hunt from a motor vehicle, boat, ORV or snowmobile. This has not been formalized into a “department order” so it does not control anyone but Conservation Officers. There is no such barrier for any other peace officer. A police officer or deputy sheriff could arrest you for violation of the motor vehicle, motor boat, ORV or snowmobile statute. I believe that the carry concealed statute was intended to supercede these laws. But it did not do so explicitly. Hopefully the legislature will correct these contradictions.

[line]

MCL 750.227d defines vehicles for land travel (other than a pistol) and does not apply here. IMHO, a CPL is required for OC and CC in your boat. And, as listed above, it appears the DNR will not enforce the statue (324.40111) if you have a CPL.

Hope this helps Rugergirl and welcome to OCDO.