• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went To Jail Today

adamsesq

imported post

Was at the Justice Center today in downtown Portland visiting a client. Oregon law says you cannot have a weapon (even with CHL) in a jail or courthouse. Some places (Washington County Sheriff's Office for example) have part of the building that is a jail, part of it that is not. The Justice Center seemed like one of those places.

When you first walk in you have to go through security unless you have a "get into jail free" identification card. I have a Multnomah County Sheriff's Employee ID badge that gets me passed all the security mumbojumbo in Multnomah County. Then, before I actually enter the restricted area of the inmate holding area there is another metal detector that I do have to go through. Between the two there are lockers.

So after coming out from visiting a client I asked "What part of the building is considered a jail?" and "Would I be allowed to store a sidearm in one of these lockers?" The first deputy that I talked with said probably but he would recommend my putting it in one of their weapon lock boxes behind the counter. His supervisor overheard that and just about had a coronary. The question was actually asked "Do you have a weapon on you now?" DUDE - I JUST GOT OUT OF VISITING AN INMATE IN A CONTACT VISITATION ROOM AFTER GOING THROUGH YOUR SECURITY. Clearly I did not. You could see the relief on his face but it was kind of humerous.

After speaking with a couple more of them it did seem to be, as I figured it, that the entire building is considered a jail and a no-go for weapons. I honestly would never have even thought to bring it in there but it would have been nice to know. It would also be nice to have Oregon be like Washington where they provide lockboxes at the courthouses but alas, that is what the safe in the vehicle is for I guess.

-adamsesq

deanf

imported post

It would also be nice to have Oregon be like Washington where they provide lockboxes at the courthouses

Yeah and it would be nice to have Washington be like Washington is supposed to be and actually have lockboxes at all courthouses.

FMCDH

imported post

deanf wrote:
It would also be nice to have Oregon be like Washington where they provide lockboxes at the courthouses

Yeah and it would be nice to have Washington be like Washington is supposed to be and actually have lockboxes at all courthouses.
LOL, True!

It would also be nice for them to actually know the rules involved and stop insisting that you MUST have aCPL when you ask to check your firearm. Each time seems to be a re-education session.

Jenshubby

imported post

You could of had some serious fun with the LEOs that you knew...but then again you could have gotten into trouble. I saw the "I went to jail today" line and thought "DOH!" Too funny.