Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Quick Question

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    Do I have to inform a Trax officer or UTA Police officer inspecting Fare that I am carrying concealed?

    I am curious if this is considered questioning?

  2. #2
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    SigLover wrote:
    Do I have to inform a Trax officer or UTA Police officer inspecting Fare that I am carrying concealed?

    I am curious if this is considered questioning?
    The specific regulation that required notifying a LEO when stopped was Specifically excluded when the Public Safety regulations were renewed last spring. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO UTAH LAW/REGULATION REQUIRING THAT WE NOTIFY AN OFFICER THAT WE HAVE A CONCEALED PERMIT AND/OR HAVE A CONCEALED WEAPON IN OUR POSSESSION.

    No, I don't have the specific cite right this moment but I shall give you a link in a few moments.

    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQ.html#2

    "If I get stopped by a police officer, do I, as a permit holder, have to tell the officer that I have a gun in my possession? Although there is no legal requirement to identify yourself to a law enforcement officer, it is recommended to do so.
    If an officer finds or sees a gun on your person during their contact with you, and you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer must assume you are carrying the gun illegally and will take defensive action. For the safety of all involved, it is better to immediately identify yourself to the officer as a permit holder in possession of a handgun. This action gives the officer some assurance they are most likely dealing with a law abiding citizen."


    JoeSparky

    Edited to add URL and text from UTAH's BCI website.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  3. #3
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    If you are carrying concealed, you have no duty to tell anybody that you are armed.

    Remember, you MUST have a concealed firearm permit to carry on a UTA bus or train, concealed or openly. Without a permit, you are committing a felony!

    76-10-1504. Bus hijacking -- Assault with intent to commit hijacking -- Use of a dangerous weapon or firearm -- Penalties.
    (1) (a) A person is guilty of bus hijacking if the person seizes or exercises control, by force or violence or threat of force or violence, of a bus within the state.
    (b) Bus hijacking is a first degree felony.
    (2) (a) A person is guilty of assault with the intent to commit bus hijacking if the person intimidates, threatens, or commits assault or battery toward a driver, attendant, guard, or any other person in control of a bus so as to interfere with the performance of duties by the person.
    (b) Assault with the intent to commit bus hijacking is a second degree felony.
    (3) A person who, in the commission of assault with intent to commit bus hijacking, uses a dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-1-601, is guilty of a first degree felony.
    (4) (a) A person who boards a bus with a concealed dangerous weapon or firearm upon his person or effects is guilty of a third degree felony.
    (b) The prohibition of Subsection (4)(a) does not apply to:
    (i) individuals listed in Subsections 76-10-523(1)(a), (b), (c), (d), and (e);
    (ii) a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon; or
    (iii) persons in possession of weapons or firearms with the consent of the owner of the bus or the owner's agent, or the lessee or bailee of the bus.

    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  4. #4
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    Good catch.... Since I have a permit sometimes I forget that LITTLE detail.

    JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  5. #5
    Regular Member UtahRSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    If... you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer must assume you are carrying the gun illegally...."
    Why must the officer assume you are carrying illegally? Why cannot the officer's assumption be that you could be carrying legally?

    If the officer were to ask, I'd tell him/her, and show the CFP if asked. But why can't the officer assume that there's no reason to tell/show if the law doesn't require it?

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828

    Post imported post

    UtahRSO wrote:
    If... you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer must assume you are carrying the gun illegally...."
    Why must the officer assume you are carrying illegally? Why cannot the officer's assumption be that you could be carrying legally?

    If the officer were to ask, I'd tell him/her, and show the CFP if asked. But why can't the officer assume that there's no reason to tell/show if the law doesn't require it?
    The specific words were cut and pasted direct from the BCI website.... I would suggest you ask them!

    JoeSparky
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  7. #7
    Regular Member UtahRSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    I know it's off the BCI site. It was a rhetorical question, pointing out the stupidity of the quoted portion.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,221

    Post imported post

    UtahRSO wrote:
    If... you have not identified yourself as a permit holder in legal possession of a firearm, the officer must assume you are carrying the gun illegally...."
    Why must the officer assume you are carrying illegally? Why cannot the officer's assumption be that you could be carrying legally?...
    This is the stance we (the majority, maybe) OCers take when it comes to Permit-less OC.

  9. #9
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    UtahRSO wrote:
    Why must the officer assume you are carrying illegally? Why cannot the officer's assumption be that you could be carrying legally?
    Because guilty until proven innocent is written all over the Patriot Act. It's the new thing.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,221

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    UtahRSO wrote:
    Why must the officer assume you are carrying illegally? Why cannot the officer's assumption be that you could be carrying legally?
    Because guilty until proven innocent is written all over the Patriot Act. It's the new thing.
    Sarge is piiiiiiiised...:shock:

  11. #11
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    You're damn right I'm pissed! Unless you have been living under a rock for the past seven years, I would expect you to be pissed as well. Our rights, all of them, are slowly eroding, and only a small percentage of the population seems to give a sh!t.

    Take a little here, nobody seems to notice. Take a little there, nobody seems to care. Until you wake up one day only to find that everything that our predecessors fought so hard for was taken away with the stroke of a pen.

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    Safety is a tyrant's tool, because nobody can be against safety.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •