• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question re. gun gift

buster81

imported post

Hey folks. I think I know the answer to these questions, but I was asked by a worry wart to verify. My Dad is moving and doesn't want to take his huge,heavy gun safe with him. Since his new digs will involve a much smaller home for his irons, he wants to get rid of some of them. They will be finding a nice home at my house. One of his guns is a nice little revolver that he wants to give to my wife.

Here is where she has some questions. Like I said, I think I know the answers, but is there any reason why he can't give a gun as a gift? I really doubt any paperwork had to be filled out on this revolver when he purchased it decades ago.

One of the other guns making it's way into my collection is a fairly new purchase (within the last year). It's a bit different since he filled out the paperwork and just doesn't want it anymore. He'sgetting old (arthritis), and I think this piece turned out to bea bit much for him to shoot. Since it's purchased in his name, does we have to document the transaction with a receipt like you would if you sold a gun privately?

Thanks.

soloban

imported post

As long as you are in the same state it's no big deal. If you really want to cya, you could have him include a letter with the gun stating that he is gifting it to your wife or do up a bill of sale for $0.00. If you are out of state, to fully comply the with the Gun Control Act of '68(?) you would need to do the transfer via an FFL in your state.

nova

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Since it's purchased in his name, does we have to document the transaction with a receipt like you would if you sold a gun privately?

Thanks.
If he's a VA resident (and you are too):
Virginia does not have gun registration. No documentation is needed for any private transactions, "private" being that no person holds an FFL.

If he's NOT a VA resident (but you are):
You have to have him transfer them to you though a FFL holder in VA (any gun shop in VA). You'll have to do the NICS background check and form 4473 as if you're buying a gun from the store.

buster81

imported post

Sorry I forgot to add that. We are both in VA.

I've been explaining the BS around the "gun show loophole" and the concerns about straw purchases, so I think my lady is afraid that this resembles one of those. I told her not to worry about it. I'm pretty sure this situation is different that a gansta getting his girl to buy him a gat so he can TCB.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

When I gave a shot gun as a gift to someone, my gun dealer had me fill out a firearms transfer form as a form of CYA. It was so if in the future something EVER happened with the firearm, we had the paperwork saying that yes I purchased the gun, but then I gave the gun to him as a gift. Not so much that my friend may go postal and use it, but also in case it got stolen and used in the commision of a crime. I'd have the paperwork just in case. Id personally rather have too much paperwork than not enough.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

There is no straw purchase involved here by any stretch. Such straw purchases involve three parties: 1) seller, 2) intermediate buyer who buys with the intent to transfer to #3 who is not legally able to purchase.

There is no "loophole" only private transactions and they are legal.

If you are still hesitant, talk to a friendly FFL and explain the circumstances as you have here. I'm absolute confident that you will get an identical response.

Yata hey

GWRedDragon

imported post

Yes, AFAIK 'straw purchases' are only illegal if you are transferring interstate or if the person who is receiving the gun cannot legally possess it. I've given a gun as a gift before; it was to someone in the same state who could legally buy it themselves.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
Yes, AFAIK 'straw purchases' are only illegal if you are transferring interstate or if the person who is receiving the gun cannot legally possess it. I've given a gun as a gift before; it was to someone in the same state who could legally buy it themselves.
Cite to straw purchase and transferring interstate please. I believe you are mistaken on this criteria.

Yata hey

GWRedDragon

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
GWRedDragon wrote:
Cite to straw purchase and transferring interstate please. I believe you are mistaken on this criteria.

Yata hey
18 USC 922 (a)(3):

It shall be unlawful...for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;
And further down where it lists who cannot have a gun, the wording at the beginning of the list is

[size="-1"][font="verdana, arial, helvetica"][/font][/size]
(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person:

So if you make a 'straw purchase' for someone who cannot legally have the gun you are 'disposing' of the firearm to someone who cannot have it.

Spectre

imported post

nova wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Since it's purchased in his name, does we have to document the transaction with a receipt like you would if you sold a gun privately?

Thanks.
If he's a VA resident (and you are too):
Virginia does not have gun registration. No documentation is needed for any private transactions, "private" being that no person holds an FFL.

If he's NOT a VA resident (but you are):
You have to have him transfer them to you though a FFL holder in VA (any gun shop in VA). You'll have to do the NICS background check and form 4473 as if you're buying a gun from the store.
What about if the person I bought the firearms from and myself live in the same state and we did a bill of sale, but then I move to a different state?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
GWRedDragon wrote:

Yata hey
18 USC 922 (a)(3):

Snipped for brevity by Grapeshot
18 USC 922(a)(3) states who can transport, receive and purchase firearms involved in interstate transactions. It does not refer to the question nor have application in this instance.

I agree that selling or giving a firearm to someone that is not legally eligible to receive it is a violation but that in and of itself is not a "straw purchase."

A "straw purchase" requires a 3rd party or middle man between the seller and the otherwise ineligible recipient.

"Under United States federal gun laws, a straw purchase is any purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License where the buyer conducting the transaction is not the "actual purchaser", but is acting as a proxy for another person. Although the term is commonly used to refer to purchasing on behalf of a person who is legally ineligible to purchase or possess a firearm, the law does not make that distinction."

Actual personal history - I gave a handgun to a friend of mine in Pa.when visiting him from Va. We went through a FFL at his end to make the transfer legal. Had I given it directly to him it would have been in violation but not a straw purchase.

Yata hey

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Spectre wrote:
What about if the person I bought the firearms from and myself live in the same state and we did a bill of sale, but then I move to a different state?
IANAL

Y'all are fine so long as you and seller where (1) both legal residents of the same state and (2) followed all relevant state laws at the time of the sale. The bill of sale is an optional CYA should the gun later be associated with a crime. It provides a record of when you came in possession of the firearm.

Bubba Ron

imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
When I gave a shot gun as a gift to someone, my gun dealer had me fill out a firearms transfer form as a form of CYA. It was so if in the future something EVER happened with the firearm, we had the paperwork saying that yes I purchased the gun, but then I gave the gun to him as a gift. Not so much that my friend may go postal and use it, but also in case it got stolen and used in the commission of a crime. I'd have the paperwork just in case. Id personally rather have too much paperwork than not enough.
A regular homemade Bill of Sale will also accomplish this.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Now that you have a billion opinions, I suppose one more won't hurt. You probably know by now that there is no issue in you father gifting these firearms to you and your wife (on anyone else in the same state that can lawfully own firearms).

There is one other issue. Taxes.

Your wife MAY have to claim the value of the firearms she receives on her income taxes. In your case your parents can gift $10,000 per year to you, so the first 10K is free to you, but any value beyond that is taxable. The Government WILL come after the money if they find out you owe them.

You should use "fair market value" as the basis for tax purposes. Shotgun News is a good source for that info.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Now that you have a billion opinions, I suppose one more won't hurt. You probably know by now that there is no issue in you father gifting these firearms to you and your wife (on anyone else in the same state that can lawfully own firearms).

There is one other issue. Taxes.

Your wife MAY have to claim the value of the firearms she receives on her income taxes. In your case your parents can gift $10,000 per year to you, so the first 10K is free to you, but any value beyond that is taxable. The Government WILL come after the money if they find out you owe them.

You should use "fair market value" as the basis for tax purposes. Shotgun News is a good source for that info.
The exemption is now $12,000 - see page 6 of link - gift splitting could increase that limit to 24,000. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

Of course you could just provide safekeeping for your dad's guns (as his new house is too small) and have them willed to you later. Presently, the estate tax is due to expire in 2010.

Yata hey

buster81

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The exemption is now $12,000 - see page 6 of link - gift splitting could increase that limit to 24,000. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

Of course you could just provide safekeeping for your dad's guns (as his new house is too small) and have them willed to you later. Presently, the estate tax is due to expire in 2010.

Yata hey
There is always a catch. So lets say that I just store the guns for the time being. Is there any reason that I can't carry HIS guns withMY CHP?