• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question re. gun gift

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

buster81 wrote:
There is always a catch. So lets say that I just store the guns for the time being. Is there any reason that I can't carry HIS guns withMY CHP?
No reason at all. The CHP is a permit to carry A weapon, not only yours.

When my daughter visits, to save her the hassle of checking bags, I simply allow her to carry one of mine while she's here.

Proper caretaking means occasional shooting and cleaning, doesn't it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

buster81 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
The exemption is now $12,000 - see page 6 of link - gift splitting could increase that limit to 24,000. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

Of course you could just provide safekeeping for your dad's guns (as his new house is too small) and have them willed to you later. Presently, the estate tax is due to expire in 2010.

Yata hey
There is always a catch. So lets say that I just store the guns for the time being. Is there any reason that I can't carry HIS guns withMY CHP?
IMO - As you would be storing them for your dad's convenience, I am sure he would not object to your using/borrowing and cleaning them on occasion. :)

As handguns are neither registered nor attached in any way to CHPs in Va., I see no problem. I carried another's pistol for the simple pleasure of doing so without hesitation.

Yata hey

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I carried another's pistol for the simple pleasure of doing so without hesitation.

Yata hey
Yeah, that's why I sometimes WON'T let Grapeshot handle a pistol of mine!!!!!!!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tess wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
I carried another's pistol for the simple pleasure of doing so without hesitation.

Yata hey
Yeah, that's why I sometimes WON'T let Grapeshot handle a pistol of mine!!!!!!!!!
Possession is 9/10 of the law isn't it. :lol:

Yata hey

leprechaun117

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
The exemption is now $12,000 - see page 6 of link - gift splitting could increase that limit to 24,000.      http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

Of course you could just provide safekeeping for your dad's guns (as his new house is too small) and have them willed to you later.  Presently, the estate tax is due to expire in 2010.

Yata hey
There is always a catch.  So lets say that I just store the guns for the time being.  Is there any reason that I can't carry HIS guns with MY CHP?

They aren't "his guns" they are guns, owned by him. There is no registration in VA. You can carry any gun you want.

nova

imported post

Spectre wrote:
nova wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Since it's purchased in his name, does we have to document the transaction with a receipt like you would if you sold a gun privately?

Thanks.
If he's a VA resident (and you are too):
Virginia does not have gun registration. No documentation is needed for any private transactions, "private" being that no person holds an FFL.

If he's NOT a VA resident (but you are):
You have to have him transfer them to you though a FFL holder in VA (any gun shop in VA). You'll have to do the NICS background check and form 4473 as if you're buying a gun from the store.
What about if the person I bought the firearms from and myself live in the same state and we did a bill of sale, but then I move to a different state?
Nothing is needed. Since you were a VA resident at the time of transfer, no laws were broken. You simply bring your firearms with you to your new home in your new state. If your new state requires registration, you must then do so.

darthmord

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
The exemption is now $12,000 - see page 6 of link - gift splitting could increase that limit to 24,000. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

Of course you could just provide safekeeping for your dad's guns (as his new house is too small) and have them willed to you later. Presently, the estate tax is due to expire in 2010.

Yata hey

As long as you have permission to use his property, there shouldn't be an issue afaik.

Keep in mind IANAL.