• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guys at Firing Line

RLCbushpilot

imported post

It looks like we need to educate even some of the gun dealers. I was at the Firing Line in Aurora the other night with a couple of friends. While waiting for a bay on the range we were discussing open carry and were overheard by the guy who was acting as range master that night. He made it sound as though we would be treated like criminals and would be immediately arrested if we open carried anywhere in Colorado. I tried to set him straight but he wasn't about to listen. There were four or five other guys around and it really wasn't a good example to any of them. If I hadn't been reading these forums he would have scared me away from ever trying it.

entartet17

imported post

I live not far from Firing Line so I'm in there a lot and they are definitely not friendly to OC (except for one older gentleman who I usually do business with but I cant remember his name). That's one thing that always upsets me about Firing Line plus some other things that arent really relevant. I really only go there for the range and if I need some incidental item that I cant get somewhere else.

Dom

imported post

I've OC'd into Firing Line and was told to unload my safely holstered weapon. I haven't been back since. Too bad for them. I like shopping in the smaller private shops and have since spent over $5K at other firearms dealers. I used to use the range quite frequently as well, and at one point was going to buy the year membership....c'est la vie.

gator

imported post

Dom wrote:
I've OC'd into Firing Line and was told to unload my safely holstered weapon. I haven't been back since. Too bad for them. I like shopping in the smaller private shops and have since spent over $5K at other firearms dealers. I used to use the range quite frequently as well, and at one point was going to buy the year membership....c'est la vie.

Ditto for me as well. I refuse to go there for anything now.:banghead:

wrightme

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Generally RSOs are NRA trained and so not OC friendly because the sale of exceptions to 2A infringements is their stock-in-trade.
Actually, when speaking specifically about range operations and RSOs, it is a safety item for shooting range operations.

denwego

imported post

Since I live in Virginia Beach now, it's not like it comes up frequently anymore, but I too boycotted Firing Line when I lived in Boulder. I went there once in Jan. '06 to get a Springfield 1903A3 that I had heard from a friend was in stock. I ended up buying it. but while I was waiting for the check to go through, I removed my winter jacket in the warm store, revealing my 1911, and was told "cover it up, put it in the car, or we're putting the rifle back on the shelf". I covered it since I had already started the process, but that was the last time I saw any reason to set foot in that store.

entartet17

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Cherry Creek is equally as bad. I went in there with an empty holster and they freaked out. Figures.
Yeah, their policy is ridiculous. I've open carried in Cherry Creek a number of times but the range is another story.

denverbear

imported post

Long time reador and 1st time poster...have tried to sign-up but computer would never let me until I bought a new computer....

any way...I use the firing line and have never had any problems there....

I will say tho that I have seen some very stupid things done by customers there when looking at a weapon...I have had guns and rifles pointed at me when standing at counters. I really do not blame the employee's there for being careful and safe .

had a gang banger there one day looking at a glock and he was waving it around turning gun sidways like punks do.

they have updated the shooting stalls and the members shooting side is now on the left.

I can understand the not allowing open carry in the store as there are many robberies in gun stores. They have never asked me to un-load when I go into shoot

and for the most part have a great bunch of employee's there who really know thier stuff.

just felt like you all needed to hear from a satisfied customer.

be safe and now that I am finally registered I can get involved in posting....

Mississippian

imported post

I will say tho that I have seen some very stupid things done by customers there when looking at a weapon...I have had guns and rifles pointed at me when standing at counters. I really do not blame the employee's there for being careful and safe .

In my experience, the people who I know that legally*OC/CC are usuallythe safest people to be around gun-wise. I do not understand how not allowing someone to OC will keep them from pointing a handgun, shotgunorriflein a dangerous direction while they are looking at it. JMO.

*Not that I know of anyone that illegally OC/CCs.

Dom

imported post

Welcome to the boards. If you want to defend the Firing Line that's your choice, but I don't particularly like the reasons:

I really do not blame the employee's there for being careful and safe .
This excuse could apply anywhere, in a private store or public place. If people are scared because of my holstered pistol I don't know what to say. It's much safer to leave it in the holster than trying to clear it in the middle of the store. I've CC'd in there as well, but they didn't say anything to me then (I was buying a holster and asked if I could check the fit on my pistol...maybe it was the $70 price tag).

I can understand the not allowing open carry in the store as there are many robberies in gun stores.
I don't see the connection between open carry and gun store robberies. If I wanted to rob a gun store, I'd probably conceal and pop the gun out for the surprise/terror factor. There are robberies in 7-11s, liquor stores, banks, etc. Open carry (in Colorado) is not prohibited other than by the private owners of these establishments. I don't see how prohibiting open carry prevents robberies...on the contrary if I were a criminal the last place I'd rob is a gun store where there are bunch of people who know how to shoot all with holstered firearms. In any case, the Firing Line has a live range, so its not that hard to walk in from the range and rob the place, logistically speaking.

I agree with you the crowd at the Firing Line, both the folks "shopping" and those at the range leave something to be desired in regards to gun safety.

Gunslinger

imported post

Whistling Pines here in the Springs accepts and encourages OC, that's one of the reasons I joined. I would never go to a range like the one mentioned in this thread.