• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to shoot spokane area

surfj9009

imported post

tacmedic911 wrote:
I would like to pose a question to you. If you had another choice for an indoor range in the northend of Spokane would you use it? I am currently researching the idea. I would love any feedback you might have. Some of you who don't know me I am a patriot in every sense of the word. I have served in our armed forces during wartime, I have also served as a medic in the civilian world for over fifteen years.

Like I said, I am researching this idea and also researching funding options. I look forward to hearing your responses.
Tacmedic,

I would like to see another option on the north side. I am not particularly happy about some of the rules at the Spokane Rifle Club. ( No OC, 1 second between shots)

Do you have a decent piece of property out there in Deer Park that you could use as an outdoor range? Anything from a 25 meter line to 100 yards?

Trigger Dr

imported post

Surf. Check and see if The Spokane Rifle club receive any funding from the Pittman/ Robertson act. Or, if they receive funding for range upgrades from the state.

If they do I believe that they would fall under premption for the OC.

surfj9009

imported post

TriggerDr

Could you elaborate more on this point, or provide a source for some reading on how this specifically applies to gun clubs? I had not thought or heard about this.

Thanks

Trigger Dr

imported post

Just speculation on my part, but the Pittman/Robertson act provides funding for range upgrades, Hunter Education, etc. One of the required conditions is the range must be open to public use for a fee. Since this is federal funding and state matching funds, I think it could be said the government is participating inoperating the range.
One of the penalties for non compliance is repayment IN FULL of all monies received under this act.
I may be completely wrong, but it is worth looking into.

DiRT

Sharpshooters

I had little problems with the rules at Sharpshooters until the boys barred by daughter from shooting due to lack of ID. She had been through their handgun class but the boys said rules are rules. So I haven't been back and now buy my guns at Deer Park.

Now I just shoot in the country. Would love to hear where a "legal" area is for plinking.

DevinWKuska

If your ok with a little Drive Colville has some great places to shoot but are not actual ranges per say. Use to go out to the old gravel pits and you could see targets set up already. On occasion I would be out there shooting only to have police show up and ask if it was ok for them to share the same target(I guess colville cant afford range fees lol).

hermannr

Last edited:

john smith

Thanks alot Bob.

I plan on going out there for a nice walk, some shooting, and an over night tent stay.

Jon

Here are a few more state owned lands you can try for shooting, hunting, camping, in some cases fishing, little known, and DNR owned

chapman lake dnr lands, head south on rock lake road from cheney which is directly across from the iga grocery store, go to the intersection of chapman lake road, turn left and follow the road out until the road breaks up the hill to your left, a short while up the hill you will notice a wire gate on your left, park here and walk in.

williams lake dnr lands, head south on rock lake road from cheney which is directly across from the iga grocery store, turn right onto martin road, go to the first steel gate on your right which sits a short distance from the road, park there and walk in to the first fence line on your right, it is marked state land, on that side of the road only exists state lands and it is land locked, you are legally accessing it by walking in, great place to hunt and shoot.

rock lake dnr lands, head south on rock lake road from cheney which is directly across from the iga grocery store, turn left onto hole in the ground road, then right onto miller home place road, cross the creek and park at the road closure sign, walk in and the first fenceline on your left is where state lands begin and on that side of the road only.

downs lake dnr lands, head south from cheney on mullinix road, go past downs lake and on your left you will see the rodna land bridge a massive rock structure rising up out of the valley floor, the old railroad track is a state park but on both sides of it exists state lands, take the next gravel road to your left and on the left side of that road you will find accessible state owned dnr lands, there are also two gravel pits for shooting.

bonnie lake dnr lands, head south from cheney on rock lake road, turn onto hole in the ground road, go to the intersection of long road, turn left, continue north on long road to the next treeline on your right at the sharp left hand corner, park here and walk in on your right, great place to hunt and camp, very little traffic.

suncrest nine mile falls dnr lands, take highway 291 which is francis avenue in spokane out to suncrest, go past suncrest to the intersection of jergens road, turn right and go to the intersection of swenson road, turn left and on your right you will notice a treeline and a fence, that is the start of state owned lands, a short distance up swenson you will seed a yellow gate on your right, turn here and feel free to shoot, hunt, camp, paintball, whatever you like.

suncrest nine mile falls dnr lands, take highway 291 to the stonelodge fire station 'google it' the fence bordering the fire station is known as the stonelodge dnr lands and is a very popular shooting area, a short while up the road as it breaks left toward tum tum on your right is a dirt access road, drive in here, not to the private gate but up the hill and onto the top of the flat where everybody shoots.

Have a ball y'all.

john smith

Stonelodge dnr lands and swenson road dnr lands suncrest nine mile falls washington

OPEN DNR LANDS AS FOLLOWS

STONELODGE http://scfpd1.com/stations/station-4/ FOLLOW HIGHWAY 291 TO THIS FIRE STATION, THE FENCE BORDERING THIS FIRE STATION ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY IS WHERE STATE LANDS BEGIN, CONTINUE ON UP THE HIGHWAY AND TURN RIGHT ONTO THE DIRT ACCESS ROAD, YOU KNOW YOU HAVE GONE TOO FAR IF YOU BANK HARD LEFT TOWARD TUM TUM, FOLLOW THE DIRT ROAD TO THE EXTREME RIGHT, RATHER THAN UP TO THE PRIVATE GATE, DRIVE UP ONTO THE DECK, AND SHOOT AWAY, OPEN PUBLIC LANDS AND NO DOUBT THE MOST USED SHOOTING AREA AROUND.

SWENSON ROAD DNR LANDS OPEN TO SHOOTING AND HUNTING, FOLLOW HIGHWAY 291 WHICH PRESENTS ITSELF AS FRANCIS AVENUE IN SPOKANE, TURN RIGHT ONTO JERGENS ROAD, FOLLOW IT TO THE INTERSECTION OF SWENSON ROAD, TURN LEFT ONTO SWENSON, FIRST FENCE LINE ON YOUR RIGHT AT THE TREE LINE IS WHERE STATE LANDS BEGIN, JUST PAST THE HOUSE WITH CYNDER BLOCK ROAD FRONTAGE, CONTINUE ALONG SWENSON TO THE YELLOW GATE AND DRIVE IN, AND UP THE DIRT ROAD, OPEN STATE LANDS, SHOOT AWAY, NEED DISCOVER PASS.

BOGGS PITT DNR LANDS IN DEER PARK, FROM DEER PARK HEAD NORTH ON COLVILLE ROAD, TURN RIGHT ONTO MONTGOMERY, WHICH BECOMES SHERMAN ROAD AS YOU FOLLOW IT, STAY ON THROUGH THE S TURNS, ROAD CHANGES NAMES AGAIN TO HORSESHOE LAKE ROAD, FOLLOW THIS THROUGH THE FIELDS AND TO THE TREELINE, SHORTLY AFTER THE ROAD BANKS HARD LEFT, ON YOUR RIGHT YOU WILL SEE A GATE, PARK AT THE GATE, YOU ARE NOW ON STATE LANDS AND FREE TO SHOOT, BE SAFE, PACK OUT YOUR REFUSE.

Last edited:

john smith

Spokane, cheney, suncrest, and deer park dnr shooting areas

I have listed some great spots where shooters and hunters can go to recreate with their firearms within this thread, for more info. I am only a pm away.

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT STONELODGE, IT WOULD HAVE TO BE THE MOST ACCESABLE, AND MOST USED, NOBODY WILL HASSLE YOU, AND IT IS OPEN PUBLIC LAND.

Last edited: