• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Park Carry OK, But Not On TVA Land, What The Heck!??

sigbear

imported post

Now that CCW is legal with valid LTC in National Parks, why is it still illegal to CCW on Land Between The Lakes and other TVA land?

Sigbear

hotrod

imported post

Where or whom gave you the information that it is not legal to carry at LBL? What was sited as the legal standing?

sigbear

imported post

I have been to "Land Between The Lakes" and it is clearly posted everywhere, including hotels.

You can't even have a loaded gun in your car (legally) on TVA land.

I am hoping this will change since you can now legally CCW in National Park's

Sigbear

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
LBL is listed as a National Recreation Area, not a National Park or National Wildlife Refuge. The new NP rulling may not extend to Nat Rec Areas.

http://www.lbl.org
According to http://www.lbl.org/Home.htmlthis area is a National Forest related entity - as most know, gun carry in National Forests is lawful if lawful under state law.

The onus is on the original poster to do the work to find out the source of law allegedly making gun carry unlawful here. Otherwise, this is just a wild goose chase.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm curious as to what hotels the OP is refering to? Where are they located? If he's talking about places in the Lake City/Grand Rivers, Ky. area, that isn't in LBL. Those areas are North of the canal that joins Ky and Barkley Lakes, and is all private or cityowned properties. The LBL begins when you cross the canal to the south. I'm not familiar with the Southern end of the area, but I don't think there are any hotels/motels anywhere inside the LBL.

KBCraig

imported post

Mike wrote:
According to http://www.lbl.org/Home.htmlthis area is a National Forest related entity - as most know, gun carry in National Forests is lawful if lawful under state law.
While this is generally true, it's not universal.

The general policy of USFS is to assimilate state law on almost everything (traffic, firearms, hunting, alcohol, etc.), but District Rangers can, and frequently do, issue stricter rules when they feel justified in doing so. Sometimes it's for their whole district, but usually it's for one particular area or campground in response to an ongoing problem.

TVA is an odd animal. It is a government, but has no citizens.

hotrod

imported post

They may have a sign, but, in Kentucky the State Parks can ask you to leave. It is not a violation of law to carry at State Parks. KRS 237.110 paragraph 17, I believe, tells where you can and can not carry. State parks are not included.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

The general policy of USFS is to assimilate state law on almost everything (traffic, firearms, hunting, alcohol, etc.), but District Rangers can, and frequently do, issue stricter rules when they feel justified in doing so. Sometimes it's for their whole district, but usually it's for one particular area or campground in response to an ongoing problem.

If they make it up does it have the force of law? I thought stuff like that had to be proposed by the agency and published in the Fereral Register and commented on prior to becoming law.

KBCraig

imported post

lockman wrote:

If they make it up does it have the force of law? I thought stuff like that had to be proposed by the agency and published in the Fereral Register and commented on prior to becoming law.

It becomes a regulation, but not one with force of law the way it would if they published it in the CFR.

The case with which I'm most familiar is a wilderness camping area in north-central Arkansas. My fraternity has--had-- been holding campouts and reunions there since 1981. The ranger and the FS personnel knew us well, because we always cleaned up not only our own messes, but left it cleaner than we found it. And we also drank a lot of beer while we were there, trying to pretend we were still in college and bulletproof. Harmless middle-age stuff.

Thanks to an incident involving another group at a different time of year, where a FS LEO was attacked, the district ranger completely banned alcohol from that campground. Previously it was just like the surrounding county: you could drink in your own campsite, but anywhere else it would be "drinking in public", which is illegal in Arkansas.

I don't know what the penalty would be, but I do know we were promised that if anyone possessed alcohol they would be going to the Newton County jail until a federal magistrate (100+ miles away in Fort Smith) decided their fate.

And so after 25 years of a good thing, we moved to private land.