• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Clarification - Liquor Establishments

Fishous

imported post

Hi, I've lurked here for a while, figured I'd jump in.

I'm looking for clarification and discussion regarding carrying in an establishment with a liquor license (bar or tavern where they sell by the glass), in particular, for a person with a CPL.

As I've read the laws (28.425o and 750.234d) it would be legal for a person with a CPL to open carry in a bar. Am I reading and understanding it correctly? Am I missing something?

My main concern isn't really carrying in a bar, but carrying in an establishment that is a local "grill", it's half bar, half restaurant. To be safe can you simply open carry instead of concealed carry?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Fishous wrote:

I'm looking for clarification and discussion regarding carrying in an establishment with a liquor license (bar or tavern where they sell by the glass), in particular, for a person with a CPL.

As I've read the laws (28.425o and 750.234d) it would be legal for a person with a CPL to open carry in a bar. Am I reading and understanding it correctly? Am I missing something?

My main concern isn't really carrying in a bar, but carrying in an establishment that is a local "grill", it's half bar, half restaurant. To be safe can you simply open carry instead of concealed carry?

IF you have a CPL, you may legally open carry in a bar (or bar & grill, in this case), per the laws you cited.

However, if you're planning on drinking, you best leave the gun unloaded and locked away in the trunk.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Fishous wrote:

IF you have a CPL, you may legally open carry in a bar (or bar & grill, in this case), per the laws you cited.

However, if you're planning on drinking, you best leave the gun unloaded and locked away in the trunk.

Also, MCL 750.234d:

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

ghostrider

imported post

Welcome to the forum Fishous.

Be sure to read the stickied threads titled,"MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE", and ''WASH, RINSE, REPEAT".

Your conclusion is correct that it's legal for you to carry openly in a bar with a CPL. However, understand that some things take baby steps. We are just now getting to the point where OC is more tolerated by PD's. Know that if you decide to OC in a bar, you could well be the test case for that statute.