• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT But still shows people are ignorant.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Tawnos wrote:
I'll start at the top and work down..
You missed one:

"The importation of negroes of the African race from any foreign country other than the slaveholding States or Territories of the United States of America, is hereby forbidden; and Congress is required to pass such laws as shall effectually prevent the same."

The CSA constitution seems to have made permanent the ban on international slave trade. Interesting...

Thundar

imported post

joeroket wrote:
This exerpt is from an Everett Herald article in which this guy is comparing having a confederate flag painted on a car to having a gun hanging in a gun rack.

When are people going to wake the hell up and realize that guns aren't scary?!?!?!

http://tinyurl.com/8xbesb

Code:
Andy Hugel, owner of DreamWerks, an auto detailing shop in Snohomish, said Confederate flags on trucks and cars is a sad throwback to 1950s hot-rod culture.

He said he begrudgingly painted the flag on a car for one customer in California several years ago.

"That paint lasted about a month," he said. "It got keyed, it got paintballs thrown at it. People were really upset when they saw it."

Now, Hugel refuses everyone who asks him to paint the design. 

"My feeling is that these people should just grow up," he said. "It's like having a gun hanging in your back window. It's immature, and even a little scary."

This is a classic stereotypical twofer.

Sorry the gun in the back of my truck scares you.

Not.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is why I don't read the Washington Forum routinely.

I would bet dimes to donuts that you people are not even arguing over the actual Confederate States flag, but instead the Battle flag. A lot of Northerners make that mistake. We in the south have to allow for the ignorance of northerners all the time. Of course we have had to do so for well over a hundred years now.:lol:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, hell, Hawkflyer. They aren't even arguing about that.

When was the last time you saw a Northerner flying the Battle flag (square) or the Naval Jack (rectangular, light blue saltire)?

No, they're debating a made-up symbol. The "Confederate Flag". Of nothing. :lol:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

I would bet dimes to donuts that you people are not even arguing over the actual Confederate States flag, but instead the Battle flag. A lot of Northerners make that mistake. We in the south have to allow for the ignorance of northerners all the time. Of course we have had to do so for well over a hundred years now.:lol:
You are correct , they arguing over the battle flag or navy jack. And I as a northerner must say that I stay open minded to all sides of the argument, and have concluded a different conclusion than most northerners after doing research about the civil war and the supposed flag of racism.

thewise1

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
I have to disagree with Sudden Valley Gunner in part. The Confederate flag may not have anything to do with racism, but it is used by many hate groups as a symbol of their racist and intolerant beliefs. Certainly it is a cultural symbol to some, but the skinheads, hammerskins, Aryans, and others who use the Confederate flag as part of their symbols do not do so with any cultual significance -- in these cases it is used to represent racism. Period.

It's often difficult to know what the Confederate flag means to somebody that displays it, unless you look beyond the flag itself. It seems that the further you get away from the south -- where it is a cultural symbol -- the more the flag is perceived as a racist statement.
The cross is also used by many hate groups as a symbol of their intolerant beliefs.

Tawnos

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

That's one of my main points... People aren't supporting the stars and bars, the stainless banner, or even the blood stained banner, but instead, the stretched CSA naval jack. If you want to show heritage and pride, shouldn't you at least be flying something that was related to the heritage and pride of what you claim to support?

Good on you, Hawkflyer, for knowing your history and taking pride in it :D.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

The stars and bars were abanded in battles because of the confusion it caused with the flag of the north, so southern soldiers carried battle flags, the most popular design is what we see on the so called rebel flag (also refered to as the naval jack, although the design was originallycreated to be theconfederate flag, and flown in battle before it was used as the navy jack). And it is this flag that has become a symbol of southern pride to many and a symbol of racism to others. It is also this flag regardless of history that has become the general recognized symbol of the south. At least to ignorant Yankees.....lol. Oh side point bloodstained banner and bloodless banner both have the so called southern cross on them.

KBCraig

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Oh side point bloodstained banner and bloodless banner both have the so called southern cross on them.
Neither emblem has flown over even a fraction of bloodshed that has been conducted under the stars & stripes.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
Oh side point bloodstained banner and bloodless banner both have the so called southern cross on them.
Neither emblem has flown over even a fraction of bloodshed that has been conducted under the stars & stripes.
Very good point and why I disagree with flags of south being used as racist symbols more blood has been spilledand more racist policies have been committed under the stars and stripes.

joeroket

imported post

Jeeze. And to think i posted this because of the idiot comment the guy made about a gun hanging in a rack was irresponsible and scary.

At least it has been an educational and entertaining thread.

Nitrox314

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
I have to disagree with Sudden Valley Gunner in part. The Confederate flag may not have anything to do with racism, but it is used by many hate groups as a symbol of their racist and intolerant beliefs. Certainly it is a cultural symbol to some, but the skinheads, hammerskins, Aryans, and others who use the Confederate flag as part of their symbols do not do so with any cultual significance -- in these cases it is used to represent racism. Period.

It's often difficult to know what the Confederate flag means to somebody that displays it, unless you look beyond the flag itself. It seems that the further you get away from the south -- where it is a cultural symbol -- the more the flag is perceived as a racist statement.

First of all, the confederate flag is NOT usually used by hate groups. The NeoNazis have their Swastika, and only a couple of the KKK actually have used it (2 of the southern klans). If you actually believe that the civil war was fought to free slaves, your all definetly wrong. I am a history major, and I know a little bit on the subject. You might as well say that the British fought us in the revolutionary war over slavery. If you say that it is different, once again you are wrong. Slavery was also an issue then. The british had already freed their slaves and found it ironic that we fought for freedom, but would not free our slaves. Obviously this was not the reason for war, but it was a issue of the time. Slavery was not the rerason for the war. The south decided that the government was not representing them and revolted. Heck, its what happened with us and the brits. It isour right to question the government and if corruption exists, to stand against it.

Sadly, public schools have veeredfrom the truth. This is part of an agenda to rewrite history. Don't deny it, just look at various history books over the years. They do not even tell you what was written on plymouth rock when the pilgrims came. If they do, itsnever all of it. They have been taking part of history out and focusing only on certain parts. Soon our kids will not even know the truth. Some people believe we fought WWII to free the jews. I mean seriously.... We didn't know about the camps until we were already at war!

Here is a quote from a famous person. I know who it is, lets see if youcan figure it out.

"When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side," I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already... What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community."

This is our children'sfate as well people.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nitrox314 wrote:
SNIP Here is a quote from a famous person. I know who it is, lets see if youcan figure it out.

"When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side," I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already... What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community."

Lenin? Mao?

shad0wfax

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Nitrox314 wrote:
SNIP Here is a quote from a famous person. I know who it is, lets see if youcan figure it out.

Lenin? Mao?
Adolf Hitler said that.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Nitrox314 wrote:
First of all, the confederate flag is NOT usually used by hate groups. The NeoNazis have their Swastika, and only a couple of the KKK actually have used it (2 of the southern klans). If you actually believe that the civil war was fought to free slaves, your all definetly wrong. I am a history major, and I know a little bit on the subject. You might as well say that the British fought us in the revolutionary war over slavery. If you say that it is different, once again you are wrong. Slavery was also an issue then. The british had already freed their slaves and found it ironic that we fought for freedom, but would not free our slaves. Obviously this was not the reason for war, but it was a issue of the time. Slavery was not the rerason for the war. The south decided that the government was not representing them and revolted. Heck, its what happened with us and the brits. It isour right to question the government and if corruption exists, to stand against it.

Sadly, public schools have veeredfrom the truth. This is part of an agenda to rewrite history. Don't deny it, just look at various history books over the years. They do not even tell you what was written on plymouth rock when the pilgrims came. If they do, itsnever all of it. They have been taking part of history out and focusing only on certain parts. Soon our kids will not even know the truth. Some people believe we fought WWII to free the jews. I mean seriously.... We didn't know about the camps until we were already at war!

Thank you for articulating my thoughts and what I have learned from independant research a whole lot better than I could. And being a history major maybe it will hold more weight than feeble minded me....lol....

Like joerocket original post to me it shows how people make closed minded decisions and leaps on things. The subject of this post, apparently does the same thing as many people do with guns. My mom used to have a saying that might apply to that guy...."we all thought you were a fool thenyou opened your mouth and proved it".