• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CNN - Victim Kills Robber

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good thing they were already at the truck when the BG approached them. Going into or out of a victim disarmament zone such as a bar is certainly a time of risk.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2009/01/15/east_atlanta_shooting.html

A robbery suspect was shot and killed by his intended victim outside an East Atlanta Village bar late Wednesday, Atlanta police said Thursday.
Atlanta police identified the slain man as Jamarcus Usher, 29, of the Decatur area.
Police do not believe the shooting has any connection to the recent high-profile killing at a bar on Memorial Drive. The suspected robber carried a Colt .40-caliber handgun, while the gun that killed bar worker John Henderson was a 9mm, Atlanta police Detective Michael Willis said.
The killing Wednesday comes a week after Henderson’s murder in another popular hangout about two miles away, Standard Food & Spirits, sparked an outpouring of community support and galvanized grassroots efforts to improve public safety by some who say the city is becoming more dangerous.
Willis declined to name the man and woman police said were the intended robbery victims. The man who opened fire in self defense is a 28-year-old who works in the airline industry and lives in a northern suburb of Atlanta, possibly Cobb County, Willis said.
The woman he was with — they have been dating for a couple of months — is around 40 years old and lives in the Marietta area, Willis said.
Wednesday night, the couple made their way to the popular East Atlanta Village, known for its trendy bars and eateries, because they have been taking swing-dancing lessons, Willis said.
Their dancing instructor told them that one of the East Atlanta bars, Graveyard Tavern, had “big band nights,” Willis said.
“So they came down here to dance,” Willis said.
When they left the bar around 11:15 p.m., the man gave his date the keys to his Ford Ranger pickup truck so she could drive. They walked to the truck, parked in an Ace Hardware lot across a side street on the same side of Glenwood Avenue.
Inside the vehicle, the woman was adjusting the driver’s seat and mirrors when the man looked over his shoulder and saw Usher standing at his passenger window, Willis said.
Believing the man was going to beg for money, the passenger rolled down his window a few inches, Willis said. But he had a strange feeling about the man, so he grabbed his gun from the glove box and put it on his lap, Willis said.
He asked the stranger what he wanted, and noticed the man was reaching for his waistband or pockets, the detective said. Instinctively, the passenger shoved open his door, knocking the suspected robber back a few feet, Willis said. The woman started screaming.
The man got out of the truck and the suspected robber raised a weapon at him, Willis said. “When he saw that, he just started shooting,” the detective said.
The man shot the suspected robber five or six times, in the stomach and chest, Willis said. The robber did not fire any shots.
“He just got the jump on him,” Willis said of the victim. “He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.”
Willis said the man’s accuracy was impressive. In an interview later, the man told Willis that his brother used to shoot firearms competitively and taught him to shoot.
As one could expect, the shooting left the man and his companion visibly shaken.
“He actually said, ‘I’m surprised I haven’t thrown up yet,’ ” Willis said. “He was that upset.”
Willis said he did not know much about the suspected robber. A criminal background check did not reveal any recent arrests by Atlanta police, but he might have a criminal history in DeKalb County.

FMCDH

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Good thing they were already at the truck when the BG approached them. Going into or out of a victim disarmament zone such as a bar is certainly a time of risk.
Exactly why the criminals are targeting these areas. They know the law abiding citizens will have disarmed themselves. Whats worse is these two were forced between the decision to not carry the means to protect themselves at all, or leave that protection in an un-attended vehicle where it could have been stolen.

People should NEVER be forced to disarm in a public place that cannot guarantee their safety, and ANY law that places a restriction on the carry of a weapon into a specific building or location should carry provision & requirement for the safe storage of that weapon at the door.

buster81

imported post

A robbery suspect was shot and killed by his intended victim outside an East Atlanta Village bar late Wednesday, Atlanta police said Thursday.
Atlanta police identified the slain man as Jamarcus Usher, 29, of the Decatur area.

I like how the media uses the word "slain" to skew situation. The man killed intended to rob the actual victim, and should be regarded as a criminal. The word "slain" makes it appear as though the victim got some sort of satisfaction or was wanton in his actions.This reporter should try a dictionary.

JBinMontana

imported post

danbus wrote:
“He told me he fired until the guy was no longer a threat to him.”

+1
Man I love a story with a happy ending...
574622.gif