• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Western Colorado Local town and city OC ordinances?

Patriot Paul

imported post

I'm new to this concept. I need info for my blog to share with others in Western Colorado and get people interested in OC.

[align=left]Can I carry openly? CONDITIONAL YES (Yes, but not in cities -- or specific areas within some cities -- which prohibit it. You must check with local authorities)[/align]

[align=left]29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.[/align]

[align=left]A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.[/align]

[align=left]http://www.rmgo.org/faq/[/align]

[align=left][font="Comic Sans MS, cursive"]So, does anyone know what if there are know what the status of ordinances is for towns and cities in Mesa County, I.e. Mack, Loma, Fruita, Grand Junction, and others? What about the mall and local stores? I have questions![/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Comic Sans MS, cursive"]I want to start OC myself but want to be legal in every aspect.[/font][/align]

Anubis

imported post

Welcome to the forum.

There are a few Colorado cities with pre-2003 local ordinances concerning open carry. Several firearms related state statutes, including "shall-issue" concealed carry, were enacted in 2003. These statutes pre-empt local firearms laws including restrictions on open carry, with 2 exceptions. One is that a lawsuit between the state and Denver resulted in Denver keeping its existing general prohibition on open carry, an AWB, and safe storage ordinance. The other is thestate law you cited which allows local governments to prohibit open carry (not concealed) in specific public areas with all entrances so posted. (So Jefferson County may have an ordinance prohibiting open carry in its public parks, but the ordinance can't be successfully enforced because obviously all possible entrances to a large chunk of real estate can't be posted.) Use the search feature here on the forums to find this statute number and text, plus many past posts concerninglocal ordinances about which you inquired, although I don't recall any related to the West Slope.

Of course the owners or managers of any private property can post signs prohibiting firearms, open or concealed.