• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in your car?

grayd73

imported post

So how would this work????? if you are carrying in your car do you have to hang it from the rear view mirror or set it on the front seat??????

Please advise??!?!?!:question:

Walleye

imported post

So as long as the gun is in plain view, it doesn't matter where you have it. I.e., if it's on the dashboard, it's clearly visible. If it's under your seat, it's concealed. Sitting on the seat could be construed as concealed because it isn't clearly visible.

raist

imported post

i may be wrong but i think oc laws change when u get into a car, at least they do here in kansas, if im walking i can open carry when i get into a car i have to unload it and put it in a container that completely encloses it or some word like cover or something dosent have to be locked just completely enclosed, and i think that when u get on the interstate it changes again.

MuellerBadener

imported post

I've been pulled over more times than I care to remember while living in Kansas and never had a problem with LEO for having a pistol in the seat. Mind your P's & Q's, and make sure you tell them it's there without making them nervous, and it's no big deal. In fact I'd say it's gotten me out of quite a few tickets. In Kansas most cops like to talk about guns, hunting, and fishing about as much as we do. The fire arm usaualy starts the kind of conversation that puts you ,the OCer, inside "his" group of people, and voila! You don't have a ticket. (Not valid with female Officers) Most Kansas cops are pretty cool as long as you're not acting like a jack-ass, though as always, there are exceptions. Enjoy it guys; I moved to Utah and the cops out here make the Gestapo seem warm-hearted.

KS_to_CA

imported post

Walleye wrote:
So as long as the gun is in plain view, it doesn't matter where you have it. I.e., if it's on the dashboard, it's clearly visible. If it's under your seat, it's concealed. Sitting on the seat could be construed as concealed because it isn't clearly visible.
When I was still in Kansas, I was told by a LEO/neigbor and the sheriff's office that a gun on the dashboard or on the passenger side seat is ok as long as it is visible. Loaded is okay. They will probably ask you to unload for safety reason, but that's it. KS LEOs are coool.

ace1001

imported post

I was advised by the AG office to put the gun from the seat, to the dashboard if pulled over and leave it alone. I wonder if I might get to stare down the barrel of the LE's sidearm. :what:Ace

LeviR

I'm new to OC in Manhattan, KS. I have done a few hours worth of reading but still have a couple of questions. These questions refer to non-CCW-holding citizens.

How do you go about unloading your firearm when you get in the car? Do you go ahead and get in the car, then remove your firearm from the holster and unload it or do you unload it in plain view before getting in?

Is there a requirement to notify the officer if stopped in a vehicle while carrying an unloaded firearm in the glove box?

Thanks!