Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Meetup a Success

Post imported post

News Item: http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/37787794.html

Our second meetup was a success. Seven OCDO members converged on the IHOP in Hammond and spent a couple of hours chatting and being interviewed by WBRZ.

The cameraman stood by....

while the reporter spoke to the resturant manager about filming at our table....

The reporter introduced himself to the table...

Some of us got miked up and interviewed...

But most were waiting for the reporters to leave so the waitress would come back and take our orders....

Attending the meetup were Mark and his wife, Seaplanepilot, Soundman33, PF-9 and his wife and kids, Seigi, XD-Gem and Yale.

A good time was had and there are hopes of a picnic/bbq meetup sometime in the near future.

President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

WBRZ just aired the segment on their six pm newscast. Short, and pretty good.
    www.laopencarry.org

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    The wife wants to thank you for not posting her in any of your pics.
    Something about not being seen with me in public, something she and I are going to discuss further.
    Women and children are some of our best OC public relations tools.

See photo album titled: Topeka's http://vagrapeshot.multiply.com/

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

yale wrote:
    WBRZ just aired the segment on their six pm newscast. Short, and pretty good.
    They haven't posted it on the web yet - that's the only way I'll get to see it.

Enjoyed meeting everyone.

Post imported post

The video is up on the website. Watch it at- http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/37787794.html.

WE weren't just a group of gun owners having breakfast. We were Gun Owners under attack. And Mark claims to have been harrassed. Really? Harrassed? I guess you could call being forced out of your car at gunpoint, cuffed, booked and thrown into parish prison harrassment. :?
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

At the next get together, someone kick me for failing to mention opencarry.org

{SNIP}
    A round of "thank you's" to WBRZ's news director wouldn't hurt anything, either.
    Mine will be emailed next.
    Mark, maybe we need some cool OCDO hats to wear at the next meetup. Would you know anyone who makes hats?

I sent a quick email of thanks to the editor. Hope it helps.

www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Well, I finally got to see the piece, and if the version on the internet is the same as what aired on the 6pm news, it is NOT short by local television news standards. It runs nearly 2 minutes, that's almost 10% of the non-commercial time in a local broadcast. This being a weekend broadcast, they were looking for something to flll time, so we got the benefit of their dearth.

The "man on the street" parts were probably added at the request of higher-ups at the station in an effort to show "balance" in the report. Rarely will a TV news operation put something controversial on without some sort of balance. Unfortunately for Rob, the short deadline time meant that he had to live with a couple of people who had obviously never even considered the idea. Had Rob thought about needing this at the restaurant, it would have been interesting to see the reactions when people found out that they'd just spent an hour in a room full of guns. He likely also left out a full description of Mark's Gonzales episode for the same "balance" concerns - likely, he could not get any comment from the GPD.

Overall, it was a fairly neutral report; and if any viewers bothered to notice, it showed a bunch of regular guys in a family restaurant not bothering anyone with their guns. I'm glad he included Mark's comment about the Supreme Court ruling that the police have no obligation to protect an individual. That statement alone will cause a great many people to pause and think for a bit.

Does any of our Baton Rouge contingent know if they re-ran the piece on their 10pm broadcast; or, if not the same piece, at least an alternate version?

Post imported post

I saw the 6 pm airing and it was identical to what you see in the video. I had been awake since 9pm Friday so I fell asleep before the 10 pm broadcast so can't comment on that version.
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Good job, guys!

The stoner who would "still be pretty scared, I guess" was wearing an LSU shirt. He needs to put down the doobie and pick up the books.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

yale wrote:
    Our second meetup was a success. Seven OCDO members converged on the IHOP in Hammond and spent a couple of hours chatting and being interviewed by WBRZ.
    Great, butwhat is the link to the news story??

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Post imported post

I'll try to watch the New Orleans ABC affilliate this weekend to see if they pick up the story on the affilliate feed.

Post imported post

My cousin died and I was in Sacred Heart Church and with family all day in BR.

Post imported post

It was a pleasure meeting all of you; count me in for next time.

I liked the "stoner." He didn't look credible and his words lacked both conviction and substance; with such a weak delivery he may even have helped our cause. I would've preferred he wear a Tulane shirt. Geaux Tigers.

Mark, I didn't see a news director on WBRZ's staff page, can I get his name and email from you please?

I'm not sure about meeting in a random parking lot before hand. It puts us at the mercy of the weather, complicates meeting up in the case of late arrivals and/or no-shows, and I personally have always viewed individuals loitering in a parking lot to be relatively suspicious, armed or not. The owner of the lot may not appreciate our presence. If we're going to do it that way then I'd suggest that we wait in the parking lot of the place where we're eating.

Edited for typos.

Post imported post

charlie12 wrote:
    My cousin died and I was in Sacred Heart Church and with family all day in BR.
    My condolences to you and yours.

Post imported post

Seigi wrote:
    It was a pleasure meeting all of you; count me in for next time.

I liked the "stoner." He didn't look credible and his words lacked both conviction and substance; with such a weak delivery he may even have helped our cause. I would've preferred he wear a Tulane shirt. Geaux Tigers.

Mark, I didn't see a news director on WBRZ's staff page, can I get his name and email from you please?

I'm not sure about meeting in a random parking lot before hand. It puts us at the mercy of the weather, complicates meeting up in the case of late arrivals and/or no-shows, and I personally have always viewed individuals loitering in a parking lot to be relatively suspicious, armed or not. The owner of the lot may not appreciate our presence. If we're going to do it that way then I'd suggest that we wait in the parking lot of the place where we're eating.

Edited for typos.

Welcome to the forum, seigi (whose name means "Justice" in Japanese, I think). It was nice meeting you as well.

Post imported post

That's correct - self righteousness being such a time honored and well observed tradition it seemed a good moniker.

Post imported post

Call me Nat---I came to Morgan City in 1970 to Work in oilfied. I am from North Louisiana at That time you had better be able to take kidding orfight.I choose the kidding and have never regreated it. My close freinds still call me redneck. I have worked all over the States and always carried in my truck. When stopped and told LE that I had a weapon in the truck due to where I was going I have never had any trouble. Now I have a grandson and we will be traveling to Texas to Florida so I feel I need to get a carry license (DAUGTER COME PICK UP MY GRANSON BECAUSE I AM IN JAIL IN TEXAS BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE A LICENSE)

Have been reading all post for awhile---Was going to meeting early and set in cornner and questionthe group about open carryandsee how long it would take before someone would tell me wake up. But work called

WILL BE AT THE NEXT MEETING

NAT

Post imported post

Hello fellas,

Just joined up with y'all having seen the interview on the web. Look forward to making a get together with y'all sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

Welcome to the group !! We were literally right down the road from you at the Hammond IHOP last Saturday.
    Do you currently OC?
    I was working last Saturday so couln't have come even if I had already known about the group. But hopefully next time...

I CC normally. I've posted a story about my attempt at open carry LOL.

Tdog
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

The 10pm version is different than the video I linked to. Soundman33 has a DVD of the 10pm broadcast he recorded. I'm trying to get a copy and do my best to get it up somewhere that everyone else can see it.

www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Soundman 33 dropped by this morning and brought dvd copies of the 6pm and 10pm broadcasts. After about 3 hours of recording the DVDs, converting them to AVI files, editing out all but the 2 minutes of our meetup and uploading them to my YouTube account we have them ready for your viewing pleasure.

First, the 6pm version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIP0RbU8Gk

Next is the 10pm version....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEkx4sOLuT0

Enjoy and thanks to Soundmann33 for getting these to me.
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

Thanks yale and soundman33!

This one, while not overly negative, was a bit more so than the 6pm version, owing to the greater number of "man-on-the-street" quotes. It essentially said the same thing - that carrying is a right, but some people don't know that and get upset about it. That's exactly the attitude we're hoping to lessen by acclimatizing people to open carry.

I wonder what would have happened if we'd done a "hidden camera" thing with Rob - go to the same bookstore he went to and let him shoot tape of people reacting or not reacting. The people who said they might be fearful of seeing someone with a gun look like the kind of folks who usually take me for a cop. I'd almost bet on that reaction from them.

Post imported post

NAT wrote:
    <SNIP>
    Now I have a grandson and we will be traveling to Texas to Florida so I feel I need to get a carry license (DAUGTER COME PICK UP MY GRANSON BECAUSE I AM IN JAIL IN TEXAS BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE A LICENSE)
    <SNIP
    Welcome, Nat!

Since you'll be doing some interstate travelling, you can check out some of the various states' gun laws at the main page for this website by clicking on the "Maps" tab. Some other sites to check out include www.handgunlaw.us, www.nraila.org/GunLaws, and www.gunlaws.com.

Additionally, you should take a look at the BATFE FAQ site http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast