• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Second Meetup a Success

sraacke

imported post

News Item: http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/37787794.html

Our second meetup was a success. Seven OCDO members converged on the IHOP in Hammond and spent a couple of hours chatting and being interviewed by WBRZ.

The cameraman stood by....

ocdo2meeta.jpg

while the reporter spoke to the resturant manager about filming at our table....

ocdo2meetb.jpg

The reporter introduced himself to the table...

ocdo2meetc.jpg

Some of us got miked up and interviewed...

ocdo2meetd.jpg

But most were waiting for the reporters to leave so the waitress would come back and take our orders....

ocdo2meete.jpg

Attending the meetup were Mark and his wife, Seaplanepilot, Soundman33, PF-9 and his wife and kids, Seigi, XD-Gem and Yale.

A good time was had and there are hopes of a picnic/bbq meetup sometime in the near future.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
The wife wants to thank you for not posting her in any of your pics.
Something about not being seen with me in public, something she and I are going to discuss further.
Women and children are some of our best OC public relations tools.

See photo album titled: Topeka's http://vagrapeshot.multiply.com/

Yata hey

imported post

Got to watch it at 5am, had to laugh at the lead in line. "Some gun owners feel they're under attack." FEEL? LOL, okay.
At the next get together, someone kick me for failing to mention opencarry.org

Did anyone else get the impression the anti-gun guy interviewed wouldn't know which end the round comes out of?

Wouldn't it have been better had Rob interviewed some of the patrons at IHOP who were present?

Who else noticed Rob forgot to mention we have a right to bear arms WITHOUT a permit?

Overall, the piece brings to the viewers mind the concept of bearing arms, always a good thing.

When/where is the barbecue? After no food for two days, I sure could stand some good barbecue. Seaplane pilot?

A round of "thank you's" to WBRZ's news director wouldn't hurt anything, either.
Mine will be emailed next.

sraacke

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
At the next get together, someone kick me for failing to mention opencarry.org

{SNIP}
A round of "thank you's" to WBRZ's news director wouldn't hurt anything, either.
Mine will be emailed next.

Mark, maybe we need some cool OCDO hats to wear at the next meetup. Would you know anyone who makes hats? ;)

I sent a quick email of thanks to the editor. Hope it helps.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I finally got to see the piece, and if the version on the internet is the same as what aired on the 6pm news, it is NOT short by local television news standards. It runs nearly 2 minutes, that's almost 10% of the non-commercial time in a local broadcast. This being a weekend broadcast, they were looking for something to flll time, so we got the benefit of their dearth.

The "man on the street" parts were probably added at the request of higher-ups at the station in an effort to show "balance" in the report. Rarely will a TV news operation put something controversial on without some sort of balance. Unfortunately for Rob, the short deadline time meant that he had to live with a couple of people who had obviously never even considered the idea. Had Rob thought about needing this at the restaurant, it would have been interesting to see the reactions when people found out that they'd just spent an hour in a room full of guns. He likely also left out a full description of Mark's Gonzales episode for the same "balance" concerns - likely, he could not get any comment from the GPD.

Overall, it was a fairly neutral report; and if any viewers bothered to notice, it showed a bunch of regular guys in a family restaurant not bothering anyone with their guns. I'm glad he included Mark's comment about the Supreme Court ruling that the police have no obligation to protect an individual. That statement alone will cause a great many people to pause and think for a bit.

Does any of our Baton Rouge contingent know if they re-ran the piece on their 10pm broadcast; or, if not the same piece, at least an alternate version?

sraacke

imported post

I saw the 6 pm airing and it was identical to what you see in the video. I had been awake since 9pm Friday so I fell asleep before the 10 pm broadcast so can't comment on that version.

KBCraig

imported post

Good job, guys!

The stoner who would "still be pretty scared, I guess" was wearing an LSU shirt. He needs to put down the doobie and pick up the books.

imported post

Here's MY goal for the next get together. Let's all make it a point to bring one NEW person. That right there puts the headcount at 14. Here's something I've been kicking around, you guys give me your honest feedback. Next time, let's meet in a parking lot wherever, once assembled, ALL go in at once.
Wonder where Charlie 12 and the rest of the no-shows are today?

Seigi

imported post

It was a pleasure meeting all of you; count me in for next time.

I liked the "stoner." He didn't look credible and his words lacked both conviction and substance; with such a weak delivery he may even have helped our cause. I would've preferred he wear a Tulane shirt. Geaux Tigers.

Mark, I didn't see a news director on WBRZ's staff page, can I get his name and email from you please?

I'm not sure about meeting in a random parking lot before hand. It puts us at the mercy of the weather, complicates meeting up in the case of late arrivals and/or no-shows, and I personally have always viewed individuals loitering in a parking lot to be relatively suspicious, armed or not. The owner of the lot may not appreciate our presence. If we're going to do it that way then I'd suggest that we wait in the parking lot of the place where we're eating.

Edited for typos.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Seigi wrote:
It was a pleasure meeting all of you; count me in for next time.

I liked the "stoner." He didn't look credible and his words lacked both conviction and substance; with such a weak delivery he may even have helped our cause. I would've preferred he wear a Tulane shirt. Geaux Tigers.

Mark, I didn't see a news director on WBRZ's staff page, can I get his name and email from you please?

I'm not sure about meeting in a random parking lot before hand. It puts us at the mercy of the weather, complicates meeting up in the case of late arrivals and/or no-shows, and I personally have always viewed individuals loitering in a parking lot to be relatively suspicious, armed or not. The owner of the lot may not appreciate our presence. If we're going to do it that way then I'd suggest that we wait in the parking lot of the place where we're eating.

Edited for typos.

Welcome to the forum, seigi (whose name means "Justice" in Japanese, I think). It was nice meeting you as well.